“Equisite Restaurant?- more like mediocre”
Review of The Alona Hotel

The Alona Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
“Equisite Restaurant?- more like mediocre”
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We were passing the area on our travels from the West coast to the East coast and decided to visit the hotel for an evening meal. The entrance to the hotel describes the restaurant as "equisite", so my expectations were raised as my wife, two young grandchildren, and myself entered the hotel.

Although we didn't stay in the hotel, this review is based on the restaurant only and it was so bad that I pass on my comments to other unsuspecting would be diners to make them aware.

We stood at the entrance to the restaurant for what seemed like ages, with the staff all choosing to talk amongst themselves rather than welcoming us. We went back into the reception area and tried again 10 minutes later, only to be ignored again. My first reaction was to walk out (which on hindsight would have been the better option) but decided to venture into the restaurant to apologise to the staff for disturbing them and could we possibly eat. Don't get me wrong, the staff were very pleasant and friendly, but their "get up and go", had just "gotten up and went", and they didn't seem as if their hearts were in their work. Although this was 6pm and the restaurant was just opening, a few of the tables still contained the remnants from lunch, a bad sign of what was to come.

The meal took about 45 minutes to arrive, even although there was only one other couple dining at that time. My wife ordered the Baked Cod Topped with a Parmesan Crust, which came with braised potatoes and peas in a pool of water and was totally totally tasteless. What can you do to make fish tasteless I ask. Upon mentioning this to the head waiter we were told that everyone said the same thing, and "maybe we should take it off the menu". No apology, just a matter of fact statement. My Tempura Chicken had obviously been frozen and each bite oozed water. The tempura batter seemd more like bad chip shop batter, soggy and tasteless. The soya and chilli dips seemed as if they were watered down as they both had no taste to them as well. Glorified and expensive children's chicken nuggets would have described it better.

In case readers think that this is just another whinger putting in bad reviews, (as I see most of the other reviews are positive), can I just say that I normally only put positive comments about food, as believe me, I'm easily pleased as far as food goes. Maybe we just caught them on a bad night. However, even our two grandchildren wouldn't taste our food, they thought it safer to stick to their own!!

Glasshouse restaurant "Equisite".....more like Execrable, utterly detestable and very bad!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank FifeBOF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2009

I just needed to bring a modicum of sanity to the reviews of this hotel. If you're looking for a Holiday Inn Express-type hotel located next to a seedy funfair, then this is the place for you. The rooms are adequate, without the benefit of such luxury items as air conditioning, mini bar or fridge, gym, swimming pool. The TV worked intermittently, and when it did work had a very small range of channels. Breakfast was very basic - it's difficult to mess up fried bacon and eggs, etc, but if you cook it in large enough batches and leave it under a heat lamp, then anything is possible. The joyriders doing laps in the adjacent car park were a delight in the evening - it also gives you a sense of anticipation to see if you car is still there in the morning. So I hardly think this qualifies as "the best hotel in Scotland or even the UK" as posted by another guest. I also travel very extensively worldwide on business, and am generally easy going on these things. So do you get the picture? It's just about worth the cost of the rooms, and has an attached bar and restaurant. No more; no less.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Derek Y
scotland
Reviewed July 6, 2009

this must be one of the best hotels that i have stayed in near Glasgow. My friends and i went to a murder mystery night last weekend, and had a lovely time. The staff gave us a warm welcome, The rooms were spacious with all mod. cons. We had a lovely dinner and breakfast which was included in price of £80, great value. would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Weston Super Mare
Reviewed July 6, 2009

When I booked this hotel I thought it was going to be in a country park, did not expect a theme park, on driving up to the hotel theart sank and hought, "oh no where are we staying!!" I was very aprehensive to find it was next to a busy theme park and several bars. On checking in thought this does not seem that bad. I left my wife at the hotel when I went off to my business meeting, came back to find her sitting in the hotel bar area talking to the staff and having a very good time. Had a really good evening meal and a super night in the hotel. Walked around the bars, the lake area and watched people in the theme park. When we went to the room and it was very quiet. no intrusion from the surrounding area, the theme park closes early so no problem there. Only downside was a couple boy racers in the theme park car park late at night but not serious problem. Theme park staff did not start making any noise until late morning so again no problems. Over all a very enjoyable nights stay and will be top of my list next time I work in the area. Internet did not work which caused me a slight problem.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Jersey, Channel Islands
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Have stayed at the Alona on 2 occasions and will staying again in July for a week. We stay at this hotel when visiting family in near by Carluke.

It represents excellent value for money and a big plus is its location. Strathclyde Park is great, always plenty going on.

We found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. The food is good and for a hotel is reasonably priced. The only gripe is that the service is very haphazard, there doesn't seem to be any organisation. Definitely room for improvement.

The Funfair doesn't cause any problems as far as noise is concerned at all. There is an increase in cars and people at the weekend but it doesn't seem to have an impact on the hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
stirling
Reviewed June 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed for 1 night at the Alona hotel, we were attending a concert at Hampden Park and have been disappointed in the standard of city centre hotels in the past. Although the Alona is a little far out of the city, there are taxis available and are not too expensive. The standard of this hotel was excellent. The young man on the reception was very friendly and made an excellent first impression. The entrance area of the hotel was beautiful so many hotels have lovely entrance areas and then you are left disappointed by the standard of the bedrooms. This was not the case the bedroom was beautiful with exquisite attention to detail, and surprisingly roomy. I was really impressed by the flat screen plasma, the vanity area with a good hairdryer and an iron and ironboard neatly tucked away.

We didn't eat in the hotel as we were attending a concert with friends. However when we returned later in the evening the bar and restaurant area was still busy, with a lot of satisfied diners. The staff from the chambermaids to the breakfast chefs were all lovely, good old scottish hospitality. We were concerned that the hotel would be noisy in the morning with the amusement park directly next door, but we didn't hear anything. Breakfast was served from 8.30 till 10.30, we made it down at 10.10 and everything was still fresh with plenty of fruit juices, cooked buffet and danishes and muffins still available we finished around 11 and did not feel that we were being rushed at any point.

We are looking for an excuse to return again soon. It is truly an exquisite hotel and fully deserving of its 4 star status. Many thanks to all staff at the Alona Hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
West Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed May 18, 2009

I have to admit that when we arrived at the hotel we had our worries with the theme park right next door, but we were never disturbed by any noise. The room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was well stocked with complementary toiletries and the walk in shower was very convenient.
We ate in the restaurant the food was good and sensibly priced, although there were few other diners so lacked some atmosphere, which was surprising for a Friday evening. The breakfast was also a good offering although we took breakfast at peak time and there were only 2 staff on who were run raged.
All in all I think this hotel was a good find in a good location only 10 minutes from Glasgow centre and very well priced.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
Bothwell Bridge Hotel
Bothwell Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bothwell
Holiday Inn Express Hamilton

Been to The Alona Hotel? Share your experiences!