“Lovely hotel!”
Review of The Alona Hotel

The Alona Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend are just back from a night at this hotel. We were very pleasantly surprised! The hotel and staff are lovely, the rooms are very clean and spacious and have everything in it you could possibly need!. The food in resteraunt is very yummy and very reasonably priced, there was also a band playing the night we were there playing swing music. They gave the place A great atmosphere! . Overall we very much enjoyed our stay and iy was very good value for money. . We will return!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Laura1480968
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear guest
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at The Alona Hotel. The swing band on a saturday night gives the restaurant a lovely ambience and is regularly commented on. The housekeeping team do a great job and keep the rooms immaculate so that our guests can be assured of the cleanliness of the rooms they are using.
Thank you for your comments and we trust we will have the pleasure of your company again soon.
ian donnachie, General manager, Alona Hotel

Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

My brother's wedding reception was held here in March. The place was decorated lovely, all the staff that I spoke to on the day were very helpful. The meal was very nice. The hotel rooms are a good size, beds very comfortable. The breakfast was buffet style, continental options and also a variety of hot items (full english)
All in all we had a great day!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank louise_cfc2003

Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to write to tell us about your positive experience of attending your brother's wedding at the Alona Hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the whole experience and that you found the staff to be helpful and polite as they went about their businesss. The Marquee is a great room to hold a wedding in and provides a great backcloth to the evening celebration.
Thank you again for your positive comments
Ian Donnachie, general Manager, Alona Hotel

Reviewed March 22, 2014

When you first see the hotel it is not easy on the eye, a bit like a glass spaceship. However check in was relatively simple and the room (119) was on the ground floor at the far end of the corridor. The room it self was very nicely decked out(unfortunately a twin but that was all that was left so not the hotels fault) clean and functional with a nice wet room. There were however a couple of gripes. Don't advertise wi-fi if it doesn't really work. It took the best part of an hour to download a couple of emails and don't even think about trying to surf the web. The other thing was the room temperature, it was like a sauna but with no possibility of turning it down. I mentioned it on checking out and the girl smiled and said that several people had commented on this, but it didn't seem like anyone was going to change it.
The bar/restaurant area is a bit oddly laid out but the staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was excellent and reasonably priced.
On reflection would I book here again? If the wi-fi and heating aren't sorted out then probably not. There is a Holiday Inn a few hundred yards away so there are other options. By the way the title Glass House was given because one of the staff said that's what they call it...

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the Hotel and the quality of food that we offer. We have good standards and try to enhance the customer experience wherever we can. The rooms are hot as the Hotel is well built and the insulation in the bedrooms is particularly good. I am suprised at your comments regarding the heating as every radiator is self regulated to allow the guests to adjust the temperature in your room to your liking. I will check with maintenance to ensure the thermostat is in good working order. I will also have the WIFI checked as it is a service we like to offer free of charge in the Hotel but it needs to run at a decent speed.
Kind Regards Ian donnachie general Manager Alona Hotel

Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Alona Hotel 20th March - 21st March 2014. Was at the hotel at a friends wedding on November 2013 never stayed the night tho. But did on this occasion and the hotel is stunning the quality of rooms and service provided!! Staff are so welcoming and friendly! Stayed at a lot of hotels but none compared to this! Ian and his staff have a great team and service/quality they provide!! Thanks!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

thank you very much for your response to your experience at the Alona Hotel. We are very much a team and I trust that it comes across as we serve our guests. Weddings are our speciality and we take a pride in the quality of service and the personal attention that we bring to each function. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you again
Kind regards Ian donnachie general manager alona hotel

Reviewed March 11, 2014

In the centre of Strathclyde Country park you will find the Alona Hotel.
A beautiful setting and a nice change to stay in when working.
The staff are friendly and remember you each day. The chef even went out and bought me Skimmed milk for the week... very impressive.
The bedroom was clean, relaxing and homely. my only complaint was that it was too warm in the room ( I know Scotland in March... yes really!)... so I turned the radiator off, and the maid kept turning it back on...! it made me smile and that's me just being picky.
Loved the Tunnocks caramel bar everyday on the tea/coffee tray - brilliant touch.
Add in a macaroon and some Irn bru and people will be queuing to stay here!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank randasgettingthere

dear Guest
Thank you for your comments and your idea about macaroon and irn bru is a really good one but I think we might have problems keeping the staff on a balanced diet. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and you found the Hotel to be a little different and identified as an independent. I am delighted with the staff and they do go out their way to enhance your stay and meet your requirements. Thank you again for your comments
Kind Regards ian donnachie general manager alona hotel

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Alona whilst I was on business trip. The rooms were great and well equipped with everything you need including a comfortable bed.
I ate in the restaurant on 2 occasions as well as breakfast. The food was excellent every time and the staff were attentive.
The only draw back is the proximity to the fairground which may create some noise when it is open.
I would stay here again and I would recommend it to anyone

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your stay at the Hotel. We are always pleased to hear of guests who have enjoyed their stay and the quality of meals provided. I will pass your comments onto the staff concerned.
Ian Donnachie
Alona Hotel

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed at the Alona for 1 night. We were checked in by a very professional young man from Argyll, from were we travelled. He made us most welcome and explained the hotel and its facilities in detail. We received a complimentary glass of wine and were shown our room. The room was very spacious and well equipped. As it was next to a theme park I was not expecting our accommodation to be as good as this was. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind comments. Gary is very good at making the guests feel welcome and is quick to engage in conversation. I am pleased that you were satisfied with the standards of the Hotel and the spaciousness of the bedrooms. Thank you again for your comments.
Ian Donnachie, General Manager, Alona Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
Dakota Eurocentral
Dakota Eurocentral
#1 of 9 in Motherwell
DoubleTree by Hilton Strathclyde
Innkeepers Lodge Glasgow, Strathclyde Park
The Popinjay Hotel and Spa

Been to The Alona Hotel? Share your experiences!