“Stunning!! Great staff and service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Alona Hotel

The Alona Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
“Stunning!! Great staff and service!”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Alona Hotel 20th March - 21st March 2014. Was at the hotel at a friends wedding on November 2013 never stayed the night tho. But did on this occasion and the hotel is stunning the quality of rooms and service provided!! Staff are so welcoming and friendly! Stayed at a lot of hotels but none compared to this! Ian and his staff have a great team and service/quality they provide!! Thanks!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Guest

thank you very much for your response to your experience at the Alona Hotel. We are very much a team and I trust that it comes across as we serve our guests. Weddings are our speciality and we take a pride in the quality of service and the personal attention that we bring to each function. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you again
Kind regards Ian donnachie general manager alona hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2014

In the centre of Strathclyde Country park you will find the Alona Hotel.
A beautiful setting and a nice change to stay in when working.
The staff are friendly and remember you each day. The chef even went out and bought me Skimmed milk for the week... very impressive.
The bedroom was clean, relaxing and homely. my only complaint was that it was too warm in the room ( I know Scotland in March... yes really!)... so I turned the radiator off, and the maid kept turning it back on...! it made me smile and that's me just being picky.
Loved the Tunnocks caramel bar everyday on the tea/coffee tray - brilliant touch.
Add in a macaroon and some Irn bru and people will be queuing to stay here!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank randasgettingthere
dear Guest
Thank you for your comments and your idea about macaroon and irn bru is a really good one but I think we might have problems keeping the staff on a balanced diet. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and you found the Hotel to be a little different and identified as an independent. I am delighted with the staff and they do go out their way to enhance your stay and meet your requirements. Thank you again for your comments
Kind Regards ian donnachie general manager alona hotel
St hlens Merseyside
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Alona whilst I was on business trip. The rooms were great and well equipped with everything you need including a comfortable bed.
I ate in the restaurant on 2 occasions as well as breakfast. The food was excellent every time and the staff were attentive.
The only draw back is the proximity to the fairground which may create some noise when it is open.
I would stay here again and I would recommend it to anyone

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your stay at the Hotel. We are always pleased to hear of guests who have enjoyed their stay and the quality of meals provided. I will pass your comments onto the staff concerned.
Kind Regards
Ian Donnachie
Alona Hotel
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed at the Alona for 1 night. We were checked in by a very professional young man from Argyll, from were we travelled. He made us most welcome and explained the hotel and its facilities in detail. We received a complimentary glass of wine and were shown our room. The room was very spacious and well equipped. As it was next to a theme park I was not expecting our accommodation to be as good as this was. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind comments. Gary is very good at making the guests feel welcome and is quick to engage in conversation. I am pleased that you were satisfied with the standards of the Hotel and the spaciousness of the bedrooms. Thank you again for your comments.
Kind Regards
Ian Donnachie, General Manager, Alona Hotel
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We have visited Alona 3 times in the last week as we were looking at it as a potential wedding venue. We have since booked it due to our experiences there. We were slotted in for dinner despite only booking it on valentines day. We were initially told it was fully booked, but when we mentioned that we had been to see it as a potential wedding venue and wanted to sample the good, we were given a table. The restaurant is lovely and the food was delicious. There was a band playing throughout our meal which was a nice touch.The hotel is lovely and all the staff we met were polite and courteous. We were also given complimentary drink each time we were in which was a nice touch. A special mention goes to Nicola, the wedding planner, she was great. She talked us through all the options and have us a detailed quote, recommended suppliers and answered all my questions promptly and confidently. She also made herself available at short notice to let us view the venue. She gave us confidence that our wedding was in safe hands. The marquee where our wedding will be held is lovely and will be the ideal wedding venue. We are going back to Alona for dinner with our parents on Friday and to let them see our venue and sample the food. I can't wait to get married here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Donna
Thank you for your very kind remarks regarding your experience with the staff at the Alona Hotel. It is important that first impressions are good and the event team and reception are good at making you feel welcome. Booking weddings are very important events and I am pleased you found the team you met to be helpful, informative and willing to make the time to meet you at short notice. Thank you for booking your wedding with us and we look forward to meeting you further to finalise the arrangements to ensure your wedding day is the best day of your life
Kind Regards ian Donnachie General Manager Alona Hotel
hamilton scotland
Reviewed January 12, 2014

my daughters wedding reception was held in the beautiful Alona Marquee, and i would like to say a big thank you, to the organizers, the staff, both in hotel, and the reception, as my wife, family, friends, have all been, and still are raving about the venue. many of same stayed overnight, and loved the place to bits.17/11/2013 all the facilities were top notch. cant wait to visit the place again.

Room Tip: all the rooms our family used were top quality.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you very much for your very positive comments. I am pleased you had a wonderful time and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel. I will pass your comments onto the rest of the staff. Kind regards. Ian Donnachie General Manager Alona Hotel
John O'Groats, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Unfortunately I stay about 80 nights a year, and my wife 40, in hotels. So we have a good idea of what to expect from a four star hotel. And, although this hotel specialises in catering for functions there is no way that I feel I can give more than 2 stars.

We were there for a wedding. Check-in was fine and the hotel let us check in at midday (this is a plus - well done Alona). But the room was a surprise. Somewhat small; dark; window seals were peeling; windows did not close properly; distinct lack of toiletries. In fact my wife had been relying on getting body lotion in the room and started contacting house keeping, reception etc - no body lotion.

What kind of '4 star' hotel doesn't (cannot) supply body lotion?

At the wedding itself the staff was somewhat tired and jaded. I managed to speak with one girl and asked her how long she'd been on duty - she brightened up and said, at that time, it had been 8 hours. And there was no tea at the reception - the grannies were parched and just about dying (maybe this wasn't part of the package, of course, but it would have been in the hotel's own interest to provide tea).

Well, we thought, maybe the staff is tired and that's why they're fractious. But at breakfast the next morning the waitress was more than sharp with us. Probably the rudest hotel worker I've ever experienced.

So, is there an issue with the staff?

Not good Alona.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor. Disaster. Drunk people wandering around outside. And, unless you are...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank canoepunkie
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Alona Hotel. I am pleased that you found the staff helpful and responsive to your request to check in early and that we were able to accomodate. As you will see from many of the other comments written by our guests our staff do give a good service and are usually applauded for their helpfulness. I can only apologise for the unusual event of a staff member being rude or unhelpful. Whether they have worked for 8 hours or 1 hour I would still expect a positive attitude towards the work and the guests they serve.
You are right about the tea/coffee on the buffet at the wedding. There was none as it wasn't ordered However on request we would have been more than happy to supply those that would have preferred tea n coffee.
Body lotion is also an item that we do not supply however we do supply a range of toiletries in the bathrooms of a high quality for the guests convenience.
Thank you for staying with us and I thank you for your comments which allows me to review our service to the guests so that we may keep on improving.
Kind Regards Ian Donnachie General Manager Alona Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
Innkeepers Lodge Glasgow, Strathclyde Park
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5
Bothwell Bridge Hotel
Bothwell Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bothwell
Holiday Inn Express Hamilton
Dalziel Park Hotel & Golf Club

Been to The Alona Hotel? Share your experiences!