“What a great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“What a great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I don’t write many reviews but this hotel is a cracker, the food is marvellous, the service at check in and the restaurant is faultless. The rooms are of a superior quality. There is a glass of complementary wine at arrival the Wi-Fi is free and works and a Kit Kat in the room. I could go on and on but let’s just say I have no criticism at all. I must stop at 5 hotels a month so I would like to think I know my stuff

Room Tip: They all seem good
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for your very positive comments. We try hard to provide a service and appreciate it when we get comments like your review. Thank you for staying at the Alona Hotel and we look forward to your return
Ian Donnachie, General Manager, Alona Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

Business travellers will do well to discover the Alona, it is conveniently placed (the roundabout back to the M74 can be a bit tricky on a morning though) and the staff are fantastic, the rooms very comfy and clean, and the restaurant excellent.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back when the amusement park is open in summer
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the Alona Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you again when you are next in the Area
Ian Donnachie, general Manager, Alona Hotel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

I had the mis-pleasure of staying at this so called 4-star hotel with my husband and we will not be back. There was a party on so we were treated to loud thumping music all night and drunken people shouting and falling about the place, not the relaxing setting we envisioned. The room was as standard as any travelodge or holiday inn. Breakfast had everything you would need and was our most enjoyable experience although this did not carry over to dinner. We were disappointed with our meals and it did not help that a female manager was shouting expletives at the staff not far from us, I didn't enjoy being there so can only wonder what the people working there think. The location of the hotel is good as is close to the motorway but there are other hotels close by that are better value for money. A disappointing experience especially after reading more positive reviews here.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank MMcA1964
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank u for your comments regarding your experience of the Alona Hotel. I am disappointed that you had a poor experience of the Hotel and as you said we have been getting many favourable comments. We do try to allocate guests who are not attending the function at the other side of the Hotel and it would appear that on this occasion it did not happen. I note the other issues you raise and thank you for bringing them to my attention. Thank you again for taking the time to submit your comments
Ian Donnachie
Alona Hotel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

Wedding co ordinator fantastic, beautiful setting. Staff at my reception meal and evening were hopeless. They were rude to my guests one of the waiters told one of my guests to [--] off and go bk to where he came from which incidentally was Aberdeen. We paid for a drinks package and most of my guests got 2 drinks at most terrible service. Long time between my service and meal. Would recommend the wedding lady she was Brill but be careful of getting screwed. My buffet at night was also shocking, lovely food but shocking amount of it very little to go round.

• Stayed July 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Del922
Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at The Alona Hotel however I am disappointed that you did not feel you could have told us about these issues in July 2011 or soon after the function. I am amazed by the issues you have raised and would have liked to address them with yourself at an earlier stage.
I am pleased that you found the Events manager and Assistant manager to be very helpful throughout your visits to the Hotel and I can assure you that every detail of your wedding day would have been followed in accordance with the wedding plan that you finalised with the Event Manager. Thank you again for your comments
Ian Donnachie
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

This is a fantastic hotel and the rooms are very luxurious and comfortable. Stayed for a business trip but it was definitely somewhere I would stay if travelling for personal reasons. The food in the restaurant is lovely and really tasty and breakfast is exactly the same. Staff are so friendly, in particular one member of staff called Gary on reception! This is second time I have stayed and just as good on each occasion. For the price of bed and breakfast at the Alona, it makes it even more worthwhile and a pleasure to return and make time to write this!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank you for your very positive comments. We have a good team of staff who are courteous and friendly and we are pleased that you enjoyed the food as well. We look forward to welcoming you again to the Hotel.
Ian Donnachie, General Manager,Alona Hotel
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

I have not stayed in this hotel but have been for an evening meal. We were well met by the staff on duty, nice people. I was surprised how few people were there to dine it did'nt have the impression of being busy so alarm bells were ringing a bit as it was a Saterday night. However the meal was excellent and the menu had something to please most tastes so no complaints there. Only problem we had was the band, while there music was good it was a bit loud and it was quite hard to have a conversation while they were on.
I would certainly recommend The Alona a three course dinner with drinks at around £30 per head was quite reasonable

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your positive comments. We are pleased with the quality and variety of the menu the chef has prepared and are delighted that our guests are commenting very positively. I also take on board your comments regarding the band and will advise them on saturday when they are next in. Thank you again for your psoitive comments.
Kind regards
Ian Donnachie General Manager Alona Hotel
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

Haven't stayed in any of the rooms here, but hav eate in the restaurant a few times and the food (although smaller portions) is always very good.

Right next door to M & D's and in the day you can walk through the country park to Hamilton and Motherwell.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding the quality of the food presented in the restaurant. We have a very settled brigade of chefs which has enabled the quality and consistency of the food to be enhanced. I'm pleased you have enjoyed it on several occasions and I look forward to welcoming you again to the Alona Hotel.
Kind Regards, Ian Donnachie, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
Innkeepers Lodge Glasgow, Strathclyde Park
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
Bothwell Bridge Hotel
Bothwell Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bothwell
Holiday Inn Express Hamilton
Dalziel Park Hotel & Golf Club
Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5

Been to The Alona Hotel? Share your experiences!