“Loud music, drunk people, unprofessional staff.”
Review of The Alona Hotel

The Alona Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I had the mis-pleasure of staying at this so called 4-star hotel with my husband and we will not be back. There was a party on so we were treated to loud thumping music all night and drunken people shouting and falling about the place, not the relaxing setting we envisioned. The room was as standard as any travelodge or holiday inn. Breakfast had everything you would need and was our most enjoyable experience although this did not carry over to dinner. We were disappointed with our meals and it did not help that a female manager was shouting expletives at the staff not far from us, I didn't enjoy being there so can only wonder what the people working there think. The location of the hotel is good as is close to the motorway but there are other hotels close by that are better value for money. A disappointing experience especially after reading more positive reviews here.

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank MMcA1964
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Thank u for your comments regarding your experience of the Alona Hotel. I am disappointed that you had a poor experience of the Hotel and as you said we have been getting many favourable comments. We do try to allocate guests who are not attending the function at the other side of the Hotel and it would appear that on this occasion it did not happen. I note the other issues you raise and thank you for bringing them to my attention. Thank you again for taking the time to submit your comments
Alona Hotel

Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

Wedding co ordinator fantastic, beautiful setting. Staff at my reception meal and evening were hopeless. They were rude to my guests one of the waiters told one of my guests to [--] off and go bk to where he came from which incidentally was Aberdeen. We paid for a drinks package and most of my guests got 2 drinks at most terrible service. Long time between my service and meal. Would recommend the wedding lady she was Brill but be careful of getting screwed. My buffet at night was also shocking, lovely food but shocking amount of it very little to go round.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Del922

Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at The Alona Hotel however I am disappointed that you did not feel you could have told us about these issues in July 2011 or soon after the function. I am amazed by the issues you have raised and would have liked to address them with yourself at an earlier stage.
I am pleased that you found the Events manager and Assistant manager to be very helpful throughout your visits to the Hotel and I can assure you that every detail of your wedding day would have been followed in accordance with the wedding plan that you finalised with the Event Manager. Thank you again for your comments

Reviewed May 5, 2012

This is a fantastic hotel and the rooms are very luxurious and comfortable. Stayed for a business trip but it was definitely somewhere I would stay if travelling for personal reasons. The food in the restaurant is lovely and really tasty and breakfast is exactly the same. Staff are so friendly, in particular one member of staff called Gary on reception! This is second time I have stayed and just as good on each occasion. For the price of bed and breakfast at the Alona, it makes it even more worthwhile and a pleasure to return and make time to write this!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Thank you for your very positive comments. We have a good team of staff who are courteous and friendly and we are pleased that you enjoyed the food as well. We look forward to welcoming you again to the Hotel.
Ian Donnachie, General Manager,Alona Hotel

Reviewed April 22, 2012

I have not stayed in this hotel but have been for an evening meal. We were well met by the staff on duty, nice people. I was surprised how few people were there to dine it did'nt have the impression of being busy so alarm bells were ringing a bit as it was a Saterday night. However the meal was excellent and the menu had something to please most tastes so no complaints there. Only problem we had was the band, while there music was good it was a bit loud and it was quite hard to have a conversation while they were on.
I would certainly recommend The Alona a three course dinner with drinks at around £30 per head was quite reasonable

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your positive comments. We are pleased with the quality and variety of the menu the chef has prepared and are delighted that our guests are commenting very positively. I also take on board your comments regarding the band and will advise them on saturday when they are next in. Thank you again for your psoitive comments.
Kind regards
Ian Donnachie General Manager Alona Hotel

Reviewed April 3, 2012

Haven't stayed in any of the rooms here, but hav eate in the restaurant a few times and the food (although smaller portions) is always very good.

Right next door to M & D's and in the day you can walk through the country park to Hamilton and Motherwell.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Thank you for your very kind comments regarding the quality of the food presented in the restaurant. We have a very settled brigade of chefs which has enabled the quality and consistency of the food to be enhanced. I'm pleased you have enjoyed it on several occasions and I look forward to welcoming you again to the Alona Hotel.
Kind Regards, Ian Donnachie, General Manager

Reviewed March 28, 2012

My first stay at the Alona on business and was pleasantly suprised how good it was.

A warm welcome and a free glass of wine at check in.

Fanstastic Scottich Buffet Breakfast and an excellent evening meal in the reastaurant.

Rooms are comfortable with a great walk in shower. Free tea and coffee as well as a chunky KitKat. Free WiFi and a bug flatscreen TV in the room - Perfect.

Outside they are in the middle of a country park with a great walk around the lake.

Will stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
IanDonnachie, General Manager at The Alona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Thank you for your positive review of the Alona Hotel. We are pleased that you have found the Hotel and look forward to welcoming you again. When the sunshines we are in a great area for walking and the walk around the loch builds an ideal appetite before dinner.
General Manager, Alona Hotel

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Have stayed at the Alona many times on business and it does what it needs to. The staff are friendly, the rooms are large and well appointed, free wifi is available throughout the hotel, breakfast is good and fresh. Don't need much more. I don't eat dinner in hotels so the only slight negative is you need to travel for altenatives. There are good choices within a few minutes drive. I have colleagues who dine at the hotel and they tell me it's good, I just like to get out in the evening.

Room Tip: I have not had a bad room yet.