“Nice position excellent food”
Review of The Alona Hotel

The Alona Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Heckmondwike, United Kingdom
“Nice position excellent food”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I stayed here three times on business during 2011.
It is a beautiful spot right next to the loch, where I went for a walk in the evening at waterside. When I went again it was colder and I walked down to a bar about 100 yards further down which contains a bowling alley.
On arrival at the hotel I was met by a very friendly receptionist. Great first impression, then they offered me a glass of wine which after a long drive was greatly appreciated. What was really impressive was when I went back for another visit the receptionist welcomed me and even remembered my name weeks later.
The room was very comfortable. On one occasion I stayed at the rear facing on to a very large car park I think for the theme park. That night several cars decided to use it as a racetrack but that only lasted about half an hour and was before 11pm so my sleep wasnt disturbed. The next time I was in a room at the front and it was very quiet.
I have to comment on the food. Breakfast was excellent good cooked option with cereal and usual healthy options available. The evening meal was a very pleasant surprise and for an individual business traveller I found the quality and taste very enjoyable also well served. The staff were excellent in every aspect. The only real issue I found was an initial problem getting a wifi signal in the room however when mentioned the hotel sorted it out quickly. This hotel was recommended to me by a local worker and to be honest I would also consider staying there for a private break.

Room Tip: The front view room was a little quieter
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I have stayed in the Alona a couple of times and the fact i keep going back speaks for itself, it is clean the staff are pleasant the food is nice and the atmosphere is relaxed. Sometimes when travelling alone for work you can feel a bit uncomfortable in certain scenarios such as going down to the restaurant alone etc but here the staff make you feel totally at ease. The rooms are a decent size and if you get one lookingout overthe lake/loch its a lovely view to wake up to. I enjoyed my stay at the Alona as I have done before and i am sure i will be back soon.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2012

stayed at the alona for 2 nights and was very impressed. it has lovely views of the lake and park, the staff were great, food lovely and the rooms clean and comfortable. thanks alona :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank thecocoteam
Reviewed January 16, 2012

3rd time I've stayed here, and as before, very hard to fault.
Warm welcome, with friendly, professional service. The room was very comfortable, and spotlessly clean.
Definetly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Excellent starting point
I have stayed in Alona hotel in august.
Hotel is very nice, tidy, good equipped and with plenty of staff. The reception and bar are opened 24/7. Rooms are nice (you get complimentary chocolates, tea and coffee each and every day), nice surprise was the trousers press and iron with ironing board. Downfall is that the rooms do not have minibars but therefore you have hotel bar working nonstop.
Hotel Alona is an excellent starting point to see the Scotland, nice lake/loch infront of the hotel gives you good jogging terrain, amusement park in the back, lake marina with rental boats …
The service is excellent, the staff is very friendly (especially Helen), and the meals are made in heaven. Breakfast is overwhelming (sausages, black pudding, haggis, fruits, cereals …).
Money well spent.

Room Tip: Reserve room in first floor with the wiev fronting the lake!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My partner and I booked this hotel as a last minute getaway for quiet and relaxation, unfortunately this did not happen.

We were allocated a room on the second floor at the rear of the hotel which looked over the function suite. Now I understand that it was a Saturday night and i am not averse to wedding guests having a good time but the noise was terrible. We were not told that a wedding reception was taking place but we found this out by ourselves after 10 minutes of being in the room, we could even hear the dj speaking over the microphone!

I would have thought that because wedding guests were resident at the hotel then they would have been allocated the rear facing rooms close to the function suite as to minimize disruption to other guests, clearly the hotel is not that considerate.

My partner and I tried to close the window to block out some of the noise however the room was incredibly stuffy and unbearably warm. I am the kind of person who keeps an electric blanket on during the summer so have no problem being nice and warm however this was ridiculous. There was no temperature control within the room so we had no option but to keep the window open and hear every word of every song. At times I could not even hear the television which was at a medium volume (so as not to disturb other guests), over the sound of the music blaring until 1am! We also had drunk wedding guests shouting and laughing directly below our window.

We felt that we had been shown absolutely no consideration from this hotel on our stay. There is no denying that the hotel is beautifully decorated and has a lovely bar and dining area, the staff were also polite but even these details could not convince me to return to this hotel. If you are a guest at a weekend wedding then this would suit you however anyone else looking for peace and quiet and a nice relaxing night you would be wise to go elsewhere, if you want to sleep anyway!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Clyde89
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Alona Hotel is consistently good. Service is always excellent. The rooms are excellent and quiet at night. Breakfast is always escellent. I have stayed here many times on business and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: all been good in my experience
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank peter m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
Innkeepers Lodge Glasgow, Strathclyde Park
Holiday Inn Express Hamilton
Dakota Eurocentral
Dakota Eurocentral
#1 of 9 in Motherwell

Been to The Alona Hotel? Share your experiences!