“lovely design, comfortable bed, shame about room service...”
Review of Dakota Eurocentral

Dakota Eurocentral
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“lovely design, comfortable bed, shame about room service...”
Reviewed June 15, 2008

Lovely hotel in a very unsual setting (industrial estate) but I stayed for 3 nights and had to live out of my suitcase. I could hang clothes up but not put other things away. There were no usable drawers. I spend a lot of time in hotels on business and get fed up with going to the restaurant, so I sometimes like to order a meal in my room and relax in front of the TV... no can do... no room service AT ALL! this is not a cheap hotel, room only was £95 and breakfast was a tenner each. There was a lot of rushing around, but said that they were quiet that morning... The cooked breakfast was very good and beautifully presented; however as a business hotel I feel that a 25 min wait for breakfast is not acceptable, (when they were quiet?) There is a distict lack of space on the breakfast buffet area (continental breakfast) there is only enough space for a few glasses so they kept running out! On the second morning I ordered coffee and brown toast and was given tea and white toast but apart from that the service was ok. The design of the hotel has won quite a lot of awards, but have the people making the award actually stayed there? The no drawers in the bedrooms would have been highlighted and so would the lack of space on the breakfast buffet .

• Liked — comfy bed and fast internet
  • Disliked — lack of room service, slow TV and internet should be free in this type of hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank tradergirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
glasgow
Reviewed December 21, 2007

I stayed at the hotel for one night with my boyfriend and didn't really know what to expect, we go away quite a lot and have become accustomed to the 'trendy modern' hotels which once you get to a certain standard are pretty much all the same... white, minimal, chrome etc... So we arrived at Dakota and from the minute we parked it was amazing, the lobby is fantastic totally unique and like no other hotel we've ever seen. Staff at reception were lovely, very helpful, quick check in and dinner reservation made! Room fantastic very quirky and again totally different!!! Dinner was fabulous, menu - great choice of traditional home grown ingredients done that wee bit differently, we moved into the bar and attacked the cocktail menu and after a couple of cocktails of the menu the barman started chatting to us and ended up creating new cocktails for us - it was great - bit pricy but so worth it would no doubt be double the price if it was city centre - loved it cant recommend it highly enough - going to the queensferry one for new year so fingers crossed!

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank carlypod1983
aberdeen
Reviewed October 19, 2007

I first became curious about the Dakota Hotel several months ago, when I passed this imposing black tower-block building on the motorway between Glasgow and Edinburgh. I was also very attracted by their advertising campaign, purely becuase it was so different - very masculine and stylish.

I wasn't disappointed when I finally got to stay at the hotel.

My partner and I opted for a special deal that Dakota run called the "Dakota Weekend". They advertise that for £56.50 per person sharing a room, you get a glass of champagne, overnight stay, full breakfast, newspaper and a late check-out. This seemed ideal for us, as we were celebrating our anniversary.

Although this hotel is located in an industrial estate just off the M8, the interior more than makes up for the location - it is stunning! If you're planning a naughty love- in and have no need to venture outside for anything, it really is quite ideal. The lobby is sleek, stylish and spacious. The bedrooms are huge, with cool brick walls, enormous beds, plasma screens, two armchairs and a large leather desk. There were freshly baked cookies in our room when we arrived, along with some complimentary mineral water.

The ensuite is also fantastic. Again, very masculine in design and absloutely pristine. There are posh toilettries too, and an amazing shower.

We dined at the hotel grill on the evening of our stay. Again, the surroundings are stunning, although I wasn't overly impressed with the food. We had some king prawns in batter to start off, which were excellent, but we found our main courses a bit of a disappointment. The fish curry I intended to order wasn't available, so I opted for the red snapper instead, which was rather bland. My partner ordered an omlette, which was rather poor value for around £13, especially considering he had to order his chips separately, and the said chips were of the frozen veriety! The wine list was extremely limited, with no new world reds available. However, the hotel manager has recently contacted me and said he intends to rectify this.

There were plenty of choices available for breakfast. I opted for the continental buffet, and my other half opted for one of the cooked options. Lots of lovely, healthy, fresh fruit, which was great. The breakfast staff didn't seem very forthcoming however, and didn't offer us any second teas/coffees or more toast.

The late check-out is 4pm, which we thought was absolutely fantastic too! You have to seek out the free newspapers - they're down in the lobby, to the right of the reception desk.

This hotel is fantastic for a weekend treat or romantic getaway. As their advertising says: "You'll love it".

• Liked — The stylish interior!
  • Disliked — nothing, really.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kirsty1901
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed August 24, 2007

My wife and I went specifically to see this hotel and had great expectations.
The hotel itself is very impressive, but is not without its flaws.

The entrance and Reception is very impressive, having a relaxed atmosphere and very charming and friendly staff.

The colour theme is dark grey metallic which is very dramatic and trendy, but the lighting is so subdued that the corridors are positively dark and sombre.

The rooms are very smart, again on the dramatic grey and black theme. Design seems at times to take over from practicality in the bedrooms. However they are enjoyable rooms.

The big disappointment was the food which was well less than I had hoped for. Although the prices were not over the top, the quality was rather a let down, with 'MacDonald type' skinny fries posing as an accompaniment to a very poor greasy sirloin steak.

Not quite the cuisine I was looking forward to enjoying!

Breakfast food was much better, but was let down by the chaotic service and lack of care with the cold buffet table. The staff were very pleasant, but obviously lacked training.

In summary, we would go back to stay at this htoel, but would be very reluctant to eat there

• Liked — Quality of the rooms
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Annea
Financial District, San Francisco
Reviewed August 20, 2007

One of the best hotel experiences we have ever had. Travelled to Scotland for a rowing Regatta and spent seven relaxing and peaceful nights at the Dakota following a tension filled day. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very clean and quiet.

Dick Allen
San Francisco

• Liked — modern, clean and location and lots of parking
  • Disliked — nodislikes
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank batteryrow
Essex UK
Reviewed June 27, 2007

Stayed at the Dakota for just one night on our way to the Highlands of Scotland. We liked what we had seen on the website and reviews here seemed mainly good and the price was right.
Cannot vouch for the restaurant or breakfast - its an easy drive into the centre of Glasgow so we took the opportunity to spend some time there and ate there too. We were delighted with our room - very modern, clean and comfortable (large bed....lovely!). Check-in/out was very efficient and staff courteous.
Would stay here again and recommend without hesitation although not perhaps for a prolonged stay.

• Liked — Stylish interior/great shower
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank debsy99
Hoorn, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 21, 2007

I've stayed in this hotel a couple of times now. My initial feeling hasn't changed. Sure, the rooms are very nice, the beds are great, the LCD has a good image, but there is something really important missing: an overall feeling of comfort.

Let me explain: The hotel is very dark. No only is the surface black, the corridors are dark, as is the restaurant, the lobby, the meetingrooms, everything! It's depressing!
The hotel lies in a desolated industrial area, there is no nice walk around the block possible.
The restaurant seems to be good, but for me as a vegetarian the menu is extremely poor.
The hotel should be ashamed of its breakfast. I stay in many hotels, but never I've seen such a poor buffet.
The LCD has digital TV, it's slow when zapping and there is a very limited number of stations available.

Why do I keep coming back? To start with: my boss likes the stylishness of the hotel, it's very handy situated close to our Scottish office and in many occasions the Hilton (which I prefer) is fully booked. But I don't like coming there....

• Liked — Very good bed
  • Disliked — The embarrasing breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank rrooze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
City Centre
Dakota Deluxe Glasgow
Dakota Deluxe Glasgow
#1 of 93 in Glasgow
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry

Been to Dakota Eurocentral? Share your experiences!