“Inside looking in”

Dakota Eurocentral
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
“Inside looking in”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Dakota is an interesting concept - a hotel without a view to boast of that turns in on itself and shuts the world out. The result is a romantic cocoon of dark glass, dark venetian blinds and rich, warm colours that enfold you in a loving embrace. It is exciting but calm, dramatic but restful. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the service exemplary and, at a very reasonable price, I and the rest of my party of four had one of the most enjoyable meal we have had in a long time - great food and excellent wine at a generous round table well spaced from its neighbours. The walls of the restaurant are decorated with huge blow-up covers of The Eagle comic, which was essential reading in my childhood. How good to see Dan Dare, his impossible eyebrows and his arch-enemy The Mekon again!
This is a very special place and well worth the drive out from the city centre (about 8 miles), where other hotels will be hard put to match the Dakota for price, style, atmosphere and modernity. We'll be back.

1 Thank ralstonjames
ceri27, Guest Relations Manager at Dakota Eurocentral, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear ralstonjames

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your wonderful feedback – the plethora of fantastic adjectives you use to describe the hotel is one of the most charming and interesting reviews I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

The sexy and dramatic décor, for me in particular the wonderful vintage Playboy covers in the bar area, go towards creating the most wonderfully relaxing atmosphere for our guests.

It will be my absolute pleasure to advise the entire team of your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Ceri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Myself and my husband spent our wedding night at the Dakota Glasgow. We arrived after midnight straight from our reception venue still in kilt and wedding dress ! Reception staff were amazing, we were warmly welcomed and congratulated on our marriage, and quickly checked in. We were shown to our room by two members of staff, one carrying our luggage and one carrying 2 glasses of champagne for us (part of the 'wedding night' package we had booked) the room was stunning, just the right temperature and beautifully decorated. We even had a hand written note from the manager welcoming us to the hotel and congratulating us on our wedding. Bed slightly hard but this is down to personal preference. There were red rose petals scattered all over it too. Bathroom was out of this world, and exceptionally clean. In the morning we called down for breakfast and had it delivered to our room (part of the package) breakfast arrived within 10 minutes of us ordering and was delicious. All in all, we felt this was a perfect end to our wedding day, we were treated like royalty and have absolutely no negative comments regarding The Dakota or our stay there, in fact, we are looking to book one of their private dining rooms for a family celebration next year - would definitely recommend this hotel. The staff go above and beyond to ensure a prefect experience is had.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 18February12

Many congratulations to you once again from the entire team here – we are absolutely thrilled to have been part of your wonderful celebration and look forward to welcoming you for many more special occasions in the very near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything at all I can assist you with or indeed to aid in the details and booking of your family celebration.

scotland uk
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just back after spending 2 amazing nights at the Dakota, everything from the reception staff, waiters, waitresses was first class.It is a must that you book the restaurant, the food was to die for, the apple tart was Delicious...After dinner we sat in the main lobby and had cocktails a perfect end to a perfect weekend. Thank you all at the Dakota we will be back soon xx

Dear clydetunnel1969

Thank you so much for leaving your wonderful feedback on TripAdvisor – I am delighted that you had a wonderfully relaxing 2 night stay with us.

Tony, our Head Chef, and his entire team put a lot of time and thought into creating the menus and you are right – the apple tart is absolutely delicious – you must try the butterscotch parfait on your next visit – a fairly recent, and exceedingly popular addition to our menu.

We are thrilled that we will certainly have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon and please contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

glasgow
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here with friends recently because I was celebrating my birthday in the restaurant.
This was my second stay and on our previous visit I’d encountered a few problems, not so on this occasion.
From start to finish our stay was excellent. My room was decorated with rose petals and the hotel also gave me complimentary chocolates and champagne on arrival as it was my birthday.
They also suggested booking a table in the bar for pre-dinner drinks and made sure I had the sofas in front of the fire for this.
The staff couldn’t have been more friendly or helpful and we felt completely spoiled. I also want to thank Ceri, the guest relations manager as she ensured everything was perfect for me in advance of our stay.
I have to mention the food, because for me it’s the highlight at Dakota. Every dish was superb, I had the dressed crab to start, followed by the fillet steak – The steak here is some of the best I’ve eaten anywhere, it rivalled Gordon Ramsay’s Maze Grill in quality – and managed to squeeze in the cheesecake with honeycomb. The staff also brought out a lovely birthday plate of mini desserts which was a nice touch.
Breakfast is also excellent, freshly cooked to order. Although I did find service a bit patchy in the morning, which we thought last time as well. There were plenty of staff but once they’ve served you they tend not to scan the tables to check if anything else is needed, so it can be a challenge to catch someone’s eye for a coffee refill. A minor point but one that’s easily resolved.
I will definitely be returning and I think Dakota will be my venue of choice for future celebrations.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear pickynic

I am thrilled to read the comments you left following your recent stay with us – I hope you had a wonderful birthday and I am sorry I did not get the opportunity to welcome you myself in person.

I have passed the comments on regarding breakfast and also the wonderful comments to the entire team – I am sure we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon and please contact me directly if there is anything at all I can assist you with in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

On arrival, very welcoming and quirky, public area. Reception staff welcoming and check in swift.
On arrival at our room our key wouldn't work but quickly sorted out by the housekeeping team. The room was nice and clean, quite basic in my opinion but of modern design. Bathroom small but cleverly designed, but contained plastic glasses of which one was dirty!
Once we had unpacked we headed to the bar for a drink. good service from the staff, but we had difiiculty getting somewhere to sit as the lounge area is very small.
Dinner in the Grill was good, loved the T-bone steak, staff very attentive.
Breakfast we were seated at a table that blocked the fire escape in the Grill Restaurant. In my workplace fire escapes always have to be kept clear! Breakfast was ok not a full buffet, buffet only for continental choices of which some of the yoghurt was dated for 10th Nov and this was the 11th Nov! Order taken for cooked choices. cooked breakfast was found to be very greasy, but staff were very attentive to us. Check out fast and bill correct.
Initially impressed but hotel has basic facilities just like Travelodge and a few health and safety concerns!

Dear gillmac40

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay with us at the weekend.

I send my apologies that you felt there were some issues that may have marred your stay with us.

We are audited continuously throughout the year by various organisations and health and safety of our guests and staff is of the upmost importance to us.

With regards to the breakfast offering the continental buffet ranges from fresh fruit salad, freshly baked croissants and pastries to home made granola, all wonderfully delicious dishes to start the day.

I am delighted that you found the staff to be attentive in their deliverance of customer care and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Dakota Glasgow in the very near future.

Cheshire
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I love this place. I have stayed 3 times in the last few months alone, a total of 9 nights. OK the location is a bit out of it, but with such good food, service and lovely atmosphere, why would you want to go out of the hotel.

Many refer to the dimly lit reception, it is - but this is all part of the scene and atmosphere, not of some dodgy "club", but a sophisticated "grown-up" feel.

The rooms are small, there's no getting away from that, but they are clean and nicely done. Please read my other review (link below) for a more detailed review.

The "Gym" is more of a fitness room, having only a few machines, but it's more than many offer. The staff are all very accommodating and the food (even room service), is very very good. Breakfast is with worth going to enjoy - even if you don't stay there.

If you stay 3 nights in a row ask for a lower rate, making the stay even better value!

Excellent - and I don't use that word very often!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ceri27, Guest Relations Manager at Dakota Eurocentral, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Dodgergammon

Thank you so much for leaving an updated review on TripAdvisor following you recent stay with us - I am delighted to read your comments and will thoroughly enjoy passing them on to the entire team.

I am thrilled that the staff had such a positive impact on your stay and that we exceeded your expectations in more ways than one.

I am sure we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Dakota Glasgow in the very near future and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist you in any way.

Motherwell
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Just been for a visit and have stayed in all of the group hotels. Most recent visit for meal and drinks. I know it sounds sad, but the onion rings accompanying the steaks were the best ever.
The meal was okay (T-bone steak for me and Rib-Eye for the Mrs). I must say, the peppercorn sauce was the blandest ever and had no kick whatsoever, but chef presented everything else very well. Again, the customer service was excellent......

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jaybee111

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments with the TripAdvisor Community following your recent visit with us.

I am saddened to hear of the issues you describe regarding your meal and i have passed these onto Chef.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Dakota Glasgow in the very near future and please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything at all I can assist you with.

Ceri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
City Centre
Dakota Deluxe Glasgow
Dakota Deluxe Glasgow
#1 of 96 in Glasgow
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
The Alona Hotel
#5 of 9 in Motherwell

Been to Dakota Eurocentral? Share your experiences!