“Deceived”
Review of Old Mill Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Motherwell
Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Chipping Sodbury, United Kingdom
“Deceived”
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Saw a review of 4.7 thinking out of 5. Big mistake, out of 10! At end of housing estate down dark, poorly surfaced road. Looked rough but had already booked. Room was very basic and dirty, cobwebs on ceiling. En-suite clean but toilet cistern broken. Spare pillows dirty with cigarette burns. Towels and sheets clean. No toiletries provided. I would not recommend this to anybody.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank ells57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Was at a charity night which was a great night, but overall the actual place was a HUGE LET DOWN unfortunately, cleanliness has a lot to be desired staff weren't that friendly or helpful either, also smelt funny smell from one of the rooms, they were smoking in, toilets need a good clean put you off using them too, just a huge let down

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank MrsIDonnelly

Travelers are raving about these Motherwell hotels

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We recently held a party here and asked if we could have guests arriving from 7pm they said no problem,not so great when we arrive and there's broken glass over the dance floor and at the bar area,dirty glasses lying about.

They also ran out of some drinks and straws and had to go to asda to get some stuff.

The hall itself was filthy cob webs everywhere,dust and just generally in need of a good clean.

we never allowed it to spoil our night and had a great time.

on returning 4 days later, had a tummy bug so was the earliest we could go several of our items was missing and I spoke with the male manager who said they were broken into (apparently they say this to everyone this has happened) they told us on 2 occasions they were broken into and blame the guests each time.

wont be going back nor will any of our friend and family. The place has great potential but the owners are letting it down.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank mrsholmes2012
Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel a year in advance for 1st August 2013 to attend a wedding.
Three weeks ago i contacted the hotel and confirmed the booking. On the 26th July i was contacted bt the hotel to confirm the booking. Two days before the date the hotel phoned to say there was no room they were overbooked and i had no room. How could i be overbooked having booked a year in advance.
I think you can call this hotel unreliable.

Room Tip: Use another hotel
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Belcol
Andrew C, Owner at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
i apologise for the mix up . completely our fault as i explained to you on telephone . I believe you got rebooked at better rate so dont quite understand the animosity . again apologies
North West
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Where do I begin…. Or more importantly where do I end describing this hell from hell!

I apologise in advance for the length of my review but felt I had to say it all to give a true and accurate account of our stay.

Searching for accommodation for one overnight in Motherwell, I came across the Old Mill on Booking.com. I have used this company before and I've had the pleasure of staying in some very nice places at reasonable prices so I was happy to use them again on this occasion.

However, this time whether I was carried away with the romantic vision of the description of the setting, the mills previous use or maybe the site had temporarily blocked the bad reviews or I’d only come across the scant good reviews and mistaken the 4.7 to be a rating out of 5 and not out of the 10 I’ll never know! But booked it I had, and stayed there we did!

I should have been forewarned when the three different people who we asked for directions gave us a disbelieving look almost as if to say “you’re not thinking of staying there?” when we couldn’t find the place as the postcode on the sat nav was unreliable and we kept getting lost despite being within a short distance.

The final approach is via a very overgrown potholed lane and bypasses a “salubrious” housing estate which was a bit close for comfort. The first car park we came to was in full view of said estate so we continued on, bypassing the narrow steep drive down to the front door of the hotel where there was enough room for 4/5 small cars to park, choosing instead to squeeze past the mound of rubbish that was behind the large industrial roll top skips – the tops were open and half empty so goodness knows why the rubbish was on the ground, and I had to get out to push them back a bit to make room for us to pass.

Reluctantly we ventured into the lobby/reception and a feeling of impending doom pressed down on us. Due to the lateness of the day, having travelled a very long way and not wanting to have to look for another place to stay, encouraged us to bravely push the bell on the reception.
The reception desk hid a multitude of rubbish including glasses and plates with days old dregs on them and goodness knows what other clutter was a multitude of objects that had been dumped on the floor.
We were asked to pay, I didn’t want to, I just wanted to leave but I was loathe to lose £40 of hard earned cash as I knew the booking company would have taken our money whether we had stayed or not! Given the key and directions we set off through the doors into the dingiest, stinkiest corridor I have ever been along in my life. On finding our room I noticed that a hole left by the position of a previous lock hadn’t been covered over and was filled with toilet paper!
On entering the room I was thankful that the weather was warm and that all the windows were open wide so the room didn’t smell. It was a welcome respite from the damp, musty, dirty corridor.
The room was large with a comfortable bed, thankfully clean sheets, duvet cover and pillow cases. There was a lovely old table with a kettle on the carpet below it – not on the table as the flex couldn’t reach the plug socket - and one cup and saucer on it, we didn’t use either. There was a beautiful mirror and lovely curtains with matching bedside lamps and main lightshade. Two bath and two hand towels which were also clean.
I noticed the next day just inside the doorway into the ‘dining room’ huge bags of dirty laundry with a company’s name on them so hence why the linen was so clean was because they are laundered externally to the hotel.

The bedside lamps were unplugged so I went to plug them in and noted that along the skirting boards and behind the bed it was absolutely filthy! You could pick up huge clumps of dust and dirt if you wanted to, but of course I didn’t. The paintwork of the window sill and skirtings’ was filthy, scratched and worn. There was a chair in the room but the upholstery was so stained I sat on a plastic bag when using it.

The bathroom was huge with a corner bath but the toilet pot/rim was covered in urine stains and a pubic hair, I didn’t notice this until much later on after I had gone to ask for cleaning stuff for the bath as there was a thick tide mark right around the bath and as soon as water was sprayed on it you could actually push the dirt off in lumps!

When I asked for the cleaning stuff she had to stop and think and then actually said “she wasn’t sure where she had put it”! I was given a proper bath cleaner but a hand towel to use as a cloth!
The woman offered to come and clean it but I said it was ok I’d do it myself. I wanted to make sure a proper job was done and that I still had the cleaning stuff afterwards to use again if necessary in case she left saying she’d done and it was still filthy! It was after this that I noticed the toilet.

Hubby and I went out for a breath of fresh air and on returning I opened the door into the bedroom corridor and found the woman bent over, a tray of egg mayo sandwiches in one hand and just picking up a tray of something else in the other. She muttered something as she stood up and passed us and went to take the food into the room where a function was taking place. When I looked down at the carpet I could see traces of egg mayo, it is my belief that she had dropped some sandwiches and had just put them back on the tray as I noted that both trays looked full as she passed! I am so glad I wasn’t eating there that evening. I didn't even want to consider breakfast at this stage. A little while after this is when I went to ask for the cleaning stuff and I went back past this piece of carpet I noted the egg mayo mark was still there. By the morning I don’t know if it had been walked/rubbed in or dried up or amazingly been cleaned up of a fashion, but I could only see vague traces of it. I suspect the former.

Thankfully we had a decent night’s sleep and it was refreshing and cooling with the windows open listening to the weir but I can imagine a winter’s stay here would be quite different!

Breakfast we were told was between 9am and 10am. On our way there we passed the reception where we were surprised to find 3 sets of room keys left there – so there were at least 4 sets of fools (including us) that had spent the night there!
We sauntered up into the vast ‘dining room’ to find remnants of two other persons having been in already for breakfast, although they must have been in and out quite quickly as we were there at the start of the breakfast period and they had already gone. Unless dare I think, it was from a previous day/s. This room had probably been a function room at one time as there was still a bar at one end but the optics were empty, and a table close by had party streamers and empty glasses on possibly from the night before with guests having wandered upstairs for somewhere a bit quieter to sit. The 'dining area' had a few 4 person tables dotted about with cloths and some cutlery so we chose one near a window.

To drink we were offered tea or coffee, we chose tea which was cheap teabags – I could tell by the taste. ‘Fresh’ orange in dubious looking glasses was brought but I was glad of it to get rid of the taste of the tea! A croissant that didn’t look too bad and tasted ok but I would have preferred it to have been shrink wrapped rather than open. There were also chocolate filled ones which we declined as we did the yogurts and cereal which was cheap own brands in the original packaging and not in airtight containers. The guy who served us was friendly enough but he wasn’t clued up to provide a proper waiter/breakfast service and disappeared after providing us with the above. No words of “if you want/need anything give me a shout” he was gone and we didn’t see him again. My hubby was looking about and then asked me about the cooked breakfast. I told him to be thankful it didn’t look like we were going to get one and we left the room, went back to our bedroom, packed and left, leaving our key with the others which were still there on the reception desk. Normally by now staff are about with linen/cleaning trolleys as people are exiting but not in this place!

It was an experience that will always linger at the back of my mind as an extremely negative one but it also makes me so sad to see such a beautiful building – well it could be, with the maintenance being brought up to scratch and a clean person in charge of running it who is prepared to manage it properly. The guy told us at breakfast that they had been there for 6 years, presumably not the owner or if he was either way he didn’t deserve to be in charge of it.
I know we are in bad times and major refurbishment can cost vast amounts of money but keeping a place basically clean doesn’t cost that much and should be the underpinning of a business.
How this hotel is still allowed to run with paying guests is beyond me as I think there are major environmental health issues here never mind anything else that I couldn’t, and I’m thankful I didn’t see.
I know it’s a cart and horse situation that if people don’t stay they don’t earn money so can’t plough money back into the business, and that by people like myself putting such honest but damningly negative reviews to save other people from staying there they may never be able to turn the place around. But I felt I had to have my say and hope that before too long something is done to either bring the place up to scratch or shut it down which will be very sad but things can’t be allowed to carry on as they are currently.

Booking.com and other similar sites that advertise the property should revisit and describe the place honestly and then if people still choose to stay there in its disgusting and shambolic state then lots of decent people who have been misguided will be saved the angst of experiencing the place and the task of writing warning reviews.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank happytraveller045
Andrew C, Owner at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
i have started trying to respond to all reviews. And i can assure you we take them all seriously. I am sorry the hotels location was not to your liking and that the approach was not good enough . unfortunately some things are beyond our control. there is indeed a housing estate close to the hotel but may i just say in time being here have had no problems from . I have taken on board your comments on room and will look into this. As far as i am aware you had paid for room on a continental breakfast basis . if that was not the case then i am sorry about the mix up with that . I find to start saying there was a problem with teabags a bit extreme . I have never had anybody else mention this or the authenticity of fresh orange. one final point. we were not catering for function taking place . i must presume that what happenned was to do with people bringing food in. we do on occasion allow people to do own buffet . May i just add i remember having long conversation with you at breakfast and that you were travelling in campervan and going onto Stirling for the week . I am dissapointed that you didnt raise any of these issues at the time . Of course we accept the hotel is not perfect but we try to provide a good standard of service at a budget price . Apologies that certain things did not please you but can assure we are continually working to be as good as possible . We hope you enjoyed your weeks stay in Scotland . Regards Andy
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just returned from Scotland was booked into this hotel via work, went to the room and was shocked it was full of damp bathroom seal missing feet stuck to the carpet which was worn and old flea bits so booked out ASAP this hotel should be shut down not even fit to keep animals in ?? Be warned.

Room Tip: Don't book here dirty hole
Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Carol B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Firstly, it gives me no pleasure at all writing this negative review, but potential customers should be made aware of what they are likely to encounter.

We stayed for one night, the price was quite reasonable at around £40 for a double room with "breakfast" for two, so we were not expecting The Ritz.

The hotel itself is fairly large, and approached down an unmade tree lined road, I would imagine the hotel (probably in the seventies) it was quite nice, but it had definitely seen better days, tired, run down,in need of TLC...The Bates motel springs to mind.

We had to physically push the large very heavy overflowing waste bins out of the way to gain access to the upper car park. The reception area was a joke, dark,run down and dingy, behind the desk, rubbish was piled high, looked like it had been there five years, bearing in mind this area is what gives the first impression of a hotel, Alex Politzi would have had a fit.....lol!

We were shown to our bedroom (7) which was a decent size, next to a weir which could be heard constantly, but to be honest, this wasn't a problem, in fact it was quite soothing at nightime.

The (double) bed was very comfortable and the linen clean and fresh with towels provided. However, behind the bed was disgusting, with dust everywhere, probably not been cleaned for years....Only one cup and saucer was available for a brew....with one tea bag..this was unforgivable in a double room. The hotel room door was secured by a very flimsy yale lock held in place by putty, and the approach down the hallway was over a filthy stained grimy carpet which was too bad to throw on the tip.

My wife wanted a bath, but refused to get in it, as it was lined by scum and muck in the corners. The toilet pot had stale urine and a pubic hair on it...not very nice.

The TV looked like it came out of the arc, but, to be fair worked OK. We did have a restful peaceful sleep, the noise from the river did not put us off at all.

"Breakfast" consisted of a cup of tea each, a croissant, glass of orange and a bowl of cheap cereal...in an upstairs dining room that lacked in atmosphere..apparently the toaster was defective.

Good points?

Very few...Free internet, which was nice, and the manager was helpful and fairly pleasant, but really there was no excuse in today's day and age.

The problem is, it is a large hotel and would probably need several hundred thousand pounds to bring it up to scratch...a bit of a catch 22 situation...would they ever get their money back?...I doubt it.

Nevertheless, many of the faults would cost very little to rectify....new doors on all rooms, fresh new carpet in reception area and hallways....new emulsion paint on walls and get rid of the crap behind the reception desk, employ a cleaner who has pride in his/her job, gets into all the corners..not just top show......hardly rocket science.

I hope the owner reads this and takes on board my comments, which are made in good faith, I can't honestly think he would have an issue or disagree with any of my comments...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fred1953
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
The Bentley Hotel
The Bentley Hotel
#8 of 9 in Motherwell
Dalziel Park Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!