“Good cheap room for the night”

Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Salford, UK
“Good cheap room for the night”
Reviewed January 26, 2010

At £50 the room rates here aren't extortionate, and the rooms are standard fodder for the HI Express chain. Considering it's right next to the motorway noise levels aren't that bad - walls are a bit thin and some noise gets through, but nothing worse than anywhere else on this budget. Staff are friendly and courteous, and the service is efficient. Breakfast is the usual all-you-can-eat continental affair - to be honest it was all tasty and I didn't miss the fry-up buffet you get at regular HI hotels!

For evening food the Toby Carvery round the corner is a safe bet - a big plate of roast and trimmings for a fiver and plenty of drinks to choose from.

All in all if you're staying near Glasgow or on your way somewhere else, it's a good bet for a clean, comfortable stopover.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MancDubya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2010

Stayed in the hotel on our way to Manchester for one night. First impression was great, friendly staff and the room was comfortable. Sadly it all changed at 2am. The hotel erupted with parties and the noise was incredible. I complained to reception and the lady did come up and attempt to put an end to the nonsense. Ten munutes later it was as bad as ever. I complained again and was asked if I wanted to move room.. but it was 4.10am now.... what was the point when we were leaving early and all our clothes were laid out. I resolved the noise in the end by confronting the idiots myself. The hotel were sympathetic in the morning but refused a refund or discout, instead offering 1000 holiday inn points.

Take your chances here, you may be lucky... or not. One tip.. eat at the toby carvery next door. great meal at a bargain price.

I won't use this hotel again.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ronandkristin

Travelers are raving about these Motherwell hotels

Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2010

There was a warm welcome and pleasant service so although it was bitterly cold outside I was very comfortable inside.
Only stayed one night

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

worksop
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Stayed 3 days and two nights. Hotel Staff Excellent. Rooms Clean and Tidy. My only gripe is the window would not close and the traffic noise disturbed my husband all night. We asked for a change of room. Smaller but had no problem. Staff extremely helpful and Pleasant.
Toby Inn at the side of Hotel. Lovely food, waiter fantastic, prices cheap.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I booked this hotel as a 'stop off' en route to visit my mum who lives near Inverness. I chose HI Express because rooms are reasonably priced (I paid £56 mid week and £47 at the weekend) and breakfast is included.

Location was excellent for us because the hotel was just off the motorway. I found staff to be friendly and helpful, even when my son dropped a glass of juice at a busy breakfast service. Rooms were of an adequate size, clean and had a tea tray. Breakfast is a continental style buffet but offers a good selection, including toast, pastries, cereals, yoghurts, etc. The pub next door does a good carvery, which is reasonably priced.

As a family of 4 (2 adults, 1 child and 1 baby), I don't think we could beat this hotel for value.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Madison, West Virginia
Reviewed August 6, 2009

I stayed with an EF tour group of 40 people at the Express By Holiday Inn in Motherwell. This was an excellent hotel.

We stayed three days at the Express By Holiday Inn. The hotel was modern, spacious, clean, quiet, and comfortable. We could not have asked for anything better.

The rooms were comfortable and I slept very well. This was the most comfort that we received while on a 16 day tour of Ireland and the United Kingdom. The hotel even provided a hairdryer.

There was a bar on the first floor.

We were provided with a large buffet breakfast every morning.

There was airconditioning on the first floor, and plenty of seating.

The only problem we had was there was really nothing near the hotel other than a restaurant and a pub that a person could walk to. We were told that there was a bowling alley that a person could walk to for entertainment, but we never found it. It must have been farther than we walked. There was a camping area across the road.

Our bus drove us away to tourist sights and then we returned in the evening.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed July 2009
Newcastle , England
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Stayed for 1 night.
Restaurant was soul-less, has all the charm of a works canteen. Decided to give it a miss.
My ground floor room was awful. The window opened directly onto a smolking area, therefore I had noise and smoke drifting into my room at mid-night.
Noise from the toilet door in the coridoor was also a problem, this was banging shut into the small hours.
I hoped breakfast would make amends - Think again!!! Turned out to be a low quality continental affair. Bread rolls, processed plastic cheese, tea from a machine etc.
I must agree with other reviewers, the staff were bordering on being rude. They seemed almost disgusted when they had to check you in / out. Is a smile & some eye contact too much to ask?
I appreciate this hotel is at the lower end of the scale, but it just wasnt worth the £65 I paid for my room.
Positives??? - parking, thats about it!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
#5 of 9 in Motherwell
Dakota Eurocentral
Dakota Eurocentral
#1 of 9 in Motherwell

Been to Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5? Share your experiences!