“great value for money”

Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Motherwell
Reviewed April 28, 2009

stayed at hotel many times over last few years
always happy with experience
excellant value for money
when visiting family in Glasgow always stay at this hotel even though it means a short drive in/out of the city every day

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed September 1, 2008

Check in painless and friendly. My 4 year old was desperate for the loo so I rushed in and lifted the seat to be confronted by a turd bobbing in a brown soup. Nearly retching, I flushed then noticed yellow urine stains on the seat. After wiping these hastily with a tissue I reluctantly allowed my daughter to relieve herself. Once I found my anti bacterial wipes I gave everything a good wipe. Didn't find the opportunity to complain - too hard with a hyperactive kid in tow.

After this bad start the room felt fairly comfortable and clean, though tainted by my initial experience. It was a bit stuffy but keeping the windows open during the night wasn't an option because of the motorway noise. General noise from other guests late on Friday night was bad, though not necessarily the hotel's fault. Beds were reasonably comfortable.

Exiting the Strathclyde Park road onto the M74 roundabout was nigh on impossible at rush hour. The part time traffic lights were never in action during my 4 day stay.

Breakfast was decent and plentiful - bagels, toast, croissants, fruit, cereals, juices, yoghurt etc in a bright pleasant breakfast room adjacent to reception. Though apple juice, coffee and half-fat milk were finished by 8:45 one morning.

Could not get a decent wireless internet signal in my room so was unable to test.

So overall, my stay was acceptable but soured by the rank toilet.
I would stay again but would seek alternatives first.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank JollyBobber
Reviewed July 27, 2008

I recently spent a night in twin-room 001 at the HI Express Strathclyde. It was located in the corridor to the left of Reception but thankfully we were not disturbed by noise from there, or from the front-entrance.

The room was clean, well-maintained and very comfortable.

All staff we encountered were friendly and helpful.

Breakfast the next morning was a pleasant affair with everything kept well-stocked and with tables cleared quickly and efficiently.

For £39 per room for the night this more than met our needs.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank SnowFallngOnCedars
Reviewed July 13, 2008

we have recently stayed at this hotel and were horrified at the sofa bed our grandson was expected to sleep in.it had not been made up on arrival and on opening it up we were disgusted. it had huge staines from what we did not dare to think.we duly complained and were advised that we could be moved. we were happy to do this but on opening the sofa beds in two more rooms we were confronted by more stains. not as bad as the first but still totally unacceptable. the chap showing us the rooms advised us that that was the only rooms they had so we could pick the best. some choice!!! with nowhere else to go we accepted the least stained. he also explained that the hotel was being refurbished in august. this is no excuse for expecting guests to put up with dirty beds, but pay the full price.i complained by email to the company on my return and as yet they have not even bothered to reply although they state they will reply in 7 to 10 business days.i was a priority club member i would now not even think about staying there ever again. avoid this hotel at all costs my grandson came away with a stomach bug which did not surprise me in the least. never again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank jaycee040
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Have stayed here quite a few times for weekend breaks etc with my partner and cannot fault it. have always found the staff friendly enough and courteous. Rooms are clean and spacious and breakfast very good. Express by Holiday Inn certainly offers more value for money than Travelodge, premier Inns etc as breakfast is included and the rooms are more luxurious. The location of this hotel is excellent, right next to theme park etc and has a Toby carvery situated a minutes walk from the hotel. If you book via the website you can often secure a room for £39 which is great value for money. I will be returning again in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeffjen
Reviewed March 29, 2008

Having booked 2 rooms we arrived at 5pm on a Saturday. However, although check-in is at 3pm we were asked if we wanted both rooms straight away. Why else would we be checking in? I appreciate that at times, not all rooms are ready on time but being 2 hours after check-in, I had expected to find rooms free. We found the check in girl to be rather abrupt and she certainly didn't make check-in an easy experience. We told her we felt that we were not receiving good service and asked to speak to a manager. She in formed us that she was the guest relations manager. Bad start to our experience there. The rooms were OK. A little worse for wear with scuff marks around the walls etc. We had hoped for a bath but all rooms are shower only. We woke the next morning to find we all had coughs and sniffles. The rooms needed airing as there was evidence of dust everywhere. Breakfast the following morning was very well supplied with a big range of items from which to choose. It was very busy indeed around 9am but we managed to find a table in the end.
It's easy to find being just off the motorway so it was an easy drive to and from the airport. However, there are many other hotels in the area and given the abrupt welcome we received, our first impressions were not positive. I wouldn't rule out the place but it wouldn't be my first choice in the future.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Tappy Feet
Reviewed November 30, 2007

Holiday Inn Express is my favourite budget hotel brand simply because every one I've stayed in has been utterly consistent. They always do what they say on the tin. You pay a bit more than a Travelodge but you get a bit more too.

This one is in a convenient location for an overnight stopover just off the motorway. Clean comfortable rooms with a Toby Carvery next door for a decent feed.

It's the second time I've stayed here and I will again if I pass this way.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Dobby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Motherwell
BEST WESTERN Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel
#4 of 9 in Motherwell
Days Inn Hamilton
Days Inn Hamilton
#3 of 4 in Hamilton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5? Share your experiences!