There isn't much to say about any hotel used for an overnight business stay but here goes...
The hotel is situated at the Northern end of the Strathclyde Country Park. The Park itself is amazing and offers good walks as well as watersport activities.
Registration was simple and straightforward and the cost (twin room for 1 night at £60, including breakfast for two) I though was very good value. The only downside to the room was the fact that the window opened out onto the M74 - a little more than a "stone's throw" but sound goes further!
The important thing is that, as night draws on, the volume of traffic reduces and it does get quieter. If noise like this would normally prevent you from having a good night's sleep then I think it's worth contacting the hotel and arranging a room on the other side - leaving that negotiation till arrival might be too late.
The room was clean and comfortable but the shower area was a little "tired". It does need a makeover. The TV is a minefield of menus and the choice of channels is limited. Pay-per-view is expensive as is the internet connection.
WiFi does no exist anywhere other than the public areas. I gave up. Although I got a strong signal the connection speed was dreadful. I'd hoped to update some server settings but after taking ages to download emails I realised that the WiFi is more in name than service. The reception desk has the password for the day - the service ok-ish if you want to receive one or two emails, beyond that it's not worth it.
The hotel is next to a Toby Carvery and rather than have something to eat at the hotel our party decidied to have an evening meal at the Carvery. £5.99 for a roast dinner is good value - but what about quality? I am pleased top say the quality was very good. The cauliflower cheese - normally a good indicator as to whether a competent chef is preparing or some teenage lad is simply reheating - was top notch.
I do recommend the carvery if the standard we received is indicative of their general service levels. By the way - if you want a full English breakfast, the carvery does one for £3.99.
Back to the Holiday Inn Express: Breakfast is a help-yourself buffet style with a reasonable choice of cold and hot dishes. The usual cereals and fruit, juice (mine had never seen a real orange I'm sure), toast and selection of jams / marmalade, sausage, scrambled eggs, bacon, beans, croissants. Pretty good if you ask me though the scrambled egg was a bit dry.
Overall we enjoyed our stay. It was a convenient venue, close to the Motorway, clean, reasonably priced and the staff were helpful. A little more attention to the decor, the WiFi and the TV choices would have made for a higher score. As it is the final verdict is "better than average".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 120 bedroom Express by Holiday Inn Strathclyde Park M74, JCT.5, is ideal for Corporate and Leisure clients, offering ensuite accommodation including Complimentary Continental Breakfast with selected Hot Items, FREE Car Parking spaces for upto 120 cars. We are on Jct 5 off the M74. The Express By Holiday Inn Strathclyde is located in the Strathclyde Country park with Motherwell Food Park with Companies like Honeywell and TNT close by. Hamilton,Motherwell and Eurocentral are within 5 minutes driving distance from the Hotel. Glasgow Airport is a 25 minute drive and Edinburgh Airport is a 40 minute drive from the Hotel.The Hotel is situated within the complex of attractions, such as Strathclyde Country Park with its Watersports centre, country walks and purpose built M & D's Theme Park (open all year round with FREE entry). Other places of interest are David Livingston Centre, the Time Capsule Leisure Centre and a Golf Course just 1.5 miles away. Glasgow City Centre is just a 25 minutes drive from the Hotel and easily accessible to Gleneagles and St. Andrews Golf Courses . There is a Bar/ Lounge available for resident guests from 11am to 3am daily and 2 Meeting rooms for upto 30 people offering all audio / visual equipment and business facilities. High Speed Internet Access available throughout the Hotel ( FREE in the Lounge Area.) Sorry but we Do Not Accept Pets! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, IHG, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HRS so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park Hotel Motherwell
- Holiday Inn Express Motherwell
- Holiday Inn Motherwell
- Motherwell Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Strathclyde Park M74 Jct5 Motherwell, Scotland