“Wedding weekend”

Brisbane House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Largs
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We recently stayed at the brisbane hotel for my cousins wedding when we arrived I was pleased with stunning views and surround looking right on to the water gorgeous. Check in was pleasant and easy our room was the family room Glen room lovely big 4 posted bed 2 sofa beds and a huge toilet all clean and fresh unfortunately no view looked right out to a car park a little disappointed knowing how nice the view could have been. The wedding was great food really tasty well served kids stuff came out not piping hot and with our food so happy child. Only drawback was our room we were tucked away what seemed like a funny wee corner of the hotel a bit noisy when taking the wee one to bed the wedding venue seemed right below us. Overall we had a great stay lovely hotel foods great staff friendly and a great wedding venue.

• Stayed: February 2014
There are newer reviews for Brisbane House Hotel

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I was surprised at just how dreadful the Brisbane Hotel was. Every floor board in the place creaked - this meant you could hear anyone moving in the adjacent rooms or in the passageway . The walls are pretty thin and again you hear everything from next door. The CH radiator whistled all night. I could go on. However the biggest surprise is that they charge £100 per night (a Premier Inn room is half this amount) - I just could not see how this is justified. I appreciate that there is very little competition in Largs and when you walk through this depressing town you have to ask yourself why would anyone want to come here in the first place?

1  Thank Brian Q
managmentLargs, General Manager at Brisbane House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I feel it is a bit unfair to compare the hotel to a Premier Inn, considering that they have on average 100+ bedrooms to sell and are in the main new build, whereas we are a series of terrace houses over 100 years old. I am afraid many things creak and groan with age. Some would say it adds character rather that the sterile environment of a corporate hotel chain

I am sorry that you felt Largs "was a depressing" little place but there are many people who enjoy what Largs has to offer.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We used an ITISON voucher and paid £25 for an upgrade to an executive room(101)which was well worth it. The room was large with a Four Poster bed, leather sofa and 2 large windows providing a lovely sea view with Cumbrae clearly visible. The bathroom was also large with a Jacuzzi bath and a separate walk in shower and beautifully tiled walls and floor. All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The 3 course evening meal was excellent as was the breakfast with a good choice of continental and cooked food. We had a very enjoyable overnight stay and have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

The staff were very welcoming and very friendly.
We had used a Groupon voucher and had an excellent deal for B & B and dinner so worth watching out for this again.

The hotel has been upgraded in parts and the toilets are spotless,
The meal was nice and well presented although I would prefer fresh prawns as they were a bit bland and the apple crumble lacked the crumble but for the price it is good value.
The bar is in the dining room and It would be nice to have a separate bar area to go after dinner for a drink or even a cosy corner with a few comfy chairs / sofa in the corner of the dining room as we wanted to relax and have a drink and chat after our meal but didn't feel comfortable sitting too long at the dining table.

The bed was a little bit uncomfortable as we could feel the springs but our friends said there bed was fine.
Breakfast was cooked properly ,not a buffet.
Overall a good deal for the price charged and I would stay again if looking for a short break at the seaside for a reasonable price,

Room Tip: I think our room overlooked the back, I'm not sure as we had a frosted window in the bedroom an...
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The hotel was clean, friendly, inviting, the staff could not do more for the bride, groom and their family and friends. Drinks were expensive. did not stay overnight this was only because the hotel was fully booked. so cannot comment on sleep quality,rooms,fitness centre or swimming pool.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The bride and groom and their family's would like to recommend this hotel as an excellent venue for a wedding. The staff were exceptionally helpful and nothing was a problem and the catering was amazing. The attention to the smallest detail was as excellent as it was to the whole day We would like to thank Liz and Marion for all their hard work in making our Daughter and Son in laws day so special

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank rns240360
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We booked our wedding in Jan 13, we wanted a date close to xmas as our jobs dictated this is the best time off for us. First of all, we had to pick a sunday as Xmas parties took presidency, but surely a wedding provides more revenue? Anyway, we went with Sunday 22nd Dec, which was fine for us, and most of our guests. We were attracted to the venue originally from a groupon offer, which allowed us to view the venue set up in a wedding show type event, we loved it, although a little further to travel for us, we chose it due to the package deal mainly, as we were both spending 7 months out of the country and had little time to plan. Our package included wedding co-ordinators, Master of ceremony, dinner, room hire, all the seat covers etc, table plans, the cake, a bag piper, table flowers, dj, and a room for bride and groom in hotel, all in all a pretty reasonable package. However, the money is then made back from the price of drinks at this hotel, £20 a bottle of wine for the table? I managed to get this reduced however, £4 a glass of sparkling wine for the toast I thought was pretty out there, which was also the same price if it was a glass of orange juice for the non drinkers! Anyway, the package was good and we made additions to make it special to our day.
The hotel is lovely in the main areas, so contemporary, the food is delicious we have ate at Henry's restaurant and the wedding meal had no complaints, the staff are generally very pleasant as well. I found that the biggest problem in my experience, was lack of communication. The package stated "wedding co-ordinators" and I had met Liz and Marion on a few occasions and never had any issues, they are both lovely and very helpful however, my interpretation of a co-ordinator who works at the hotel which you have booked the package with would be that they would make the arrangements with the people included in the package. That didn't happen. I had to individually chat to the cake man, the flower lady, the bag piper, the DJ and the fireworks (which were booked through the hotel) if I hadn't called out of courtesy, they would not have even knew the time of my wedding or anything, they had just been booked for the date. I learned this with the first person, so took it upon myself to phone everyone involved. The one thing that did upset me was that the whole time we had met with the wedding 'co-ordinators' we had said that we wanted our first dance at 7pm (might seem early but our wedding was at 1.30pm), they both nodded and wrote it on their forms etc, when I phoned the DJ he informed me that he doesn't start until 7.30pm!!! and no one had told us this! I thought this was absolutely shocking but didn't let it ruin our big day. next on the lack of communication list was the booking of the rooms, when I booked in Jan we said that we wanted to reserve all of the rooms in the hotel under our name for our guests (as we knew they'd all go due to travelling afar), additionally we wanted several rooms for the night before. I personally put all of these rooms on my credit card and was sent out a rooming list which was to be completed by 4 weeks prior to the wedding. In nov, I did a check on booking.com for the Saturday night rooms to see if any more were available to book and to my surprise, the rooms i'd asked for were for sale, and one of them (the bride and groom suite which I was staying in the night before) had been sold about 4 hours earlier. When I rang the hotel they sorted the problem out and the other person was moved rooms, however this should not have been a problem in the first place, they were on my credit card? Also, other guests of mine were able to phone up and book a room for the night of the wedding, although they were all booked out in my name and on my credit card? How does that happen. Again, after a phone call this was sorted out and my guests had to be moved to a different hotel however, this should not have happened in this first place!!!
Anyway this review is sounding pretty negative, we had a fabulous day, everything went to plan and on time and ran completely smooth, this was obviously down to the hard work of the co-ordinators on the day and this is the benefit of them being at the hotel but like previously stated don't rely on them to do the ground work in the build up, they are busy with everyone elses days. I went down the day before and handed all my individual pieces to the co-ordinators and had a look around, it was xmas and as expected there were xmas decorations up, I said to them that I didn't want any up as it wasn't a xmas themed wedding. I got a pretty frosty reception to this and was called in to the rooms with the manager to see what the problems were. Martin was rude and gave us the cold shoulder, but it was our big day and I guarantee it wouldn't take long to take them down and put them up the next day, just a little hard work. It got done anyway, but we were made to feel pretty bad about it! Anyway on the day, the ceremony room was decorated beautifully, this was all down to the staff they sorted everything. All the seat bows tied beautifully, a red carpet with white petal heart on it, my harpist and photographers were welcomed by them. All whilst I was taking up both executive suites with my bridal party getting their hair and make up done. There was plenty of room for this to happen, but i'm glad we booked both rooms, as we had hair in one and make up in the other and we just had to walk along the corridor to each room, plenty of mirrors etc. What I would say is, and I didn't bother me much but it might another, was that I didn't have much sleep the night before, due to the xmas party happening right below us, the DJ box felt like it was at the foot of my bed. The one thing that upset me in the morning was the cold shower. Now I read reviews and knew that lightbulbs going out and water going off was pretty common, and I do agree that the rooms need a little TLC, but the bridal suite was beautiful, just the quickest shower of my life. I didn't complain I just moved on, it was warm the next day! Anyway Liz came and checked I was getting on okay a few times that morning, very reassuring and she came to get me at 1.30, as a bride should be though, I was running late! The ceremony was lovely, conducted by Caroline from North Ayrshire Registry office, we included readings and it was just the right length. Liz was waiting on the other side with a glass of champagne for me and my new hubby which was fab! The hotel had also kindly offered us the use of their mini bus to get us to Portencross castle where we had chosen to have our photos done. It was driven by a member of staff who was waiting with it warm and ready to go and we were there and back in no time, it was so easy so simple and we are so thankful we got to get our photos taken there. The wedding breakfast is very planned and co-ordinated, Liz took us through introducing us, we cut the cake, poured our champagne fountain and then took our seats. After the speeches we were personally served our dinner by Liz, which was a nice touch, dinner was very nice! After that we were pretty much left to it, the DJ took over and he was told when our fireworks were going off. This was co-ordinated with our lovely buffet being delivered and our cake was all cut up and available for everyone. I guess that's when Liz and Marion bow out and let us dance the night away. The DJ (total entertainment) however, I do not rate. Neither do my guests. We were a mixture of ages however, had to listen to pretty much old tracks and when he was asked for Rihanna, Christina Aguilera, Beyoncé, and the likes. He didn't have it!! I was not impressed with him, he sat behind his speakers on his phone all night, making an announcement for our first dance and fireworks only, no effort, no oomf, no nothing! I could have got my Phone speakers down and down a done a better job! We didn't have the pick of him unfortunately, he was booked as part of our package, however, there are a couple of entertainers on the Brisbanes list of agencies so I recommend asking for someone different. All in all, me and hubby had a fantastic time, breakfast is good, the bridal suite is lovely and everything went to plan, the table decorations etc. were given love and affection and my guests had a great time. They all complimented us on the hotel, in the public areas it is very plush, just some rooms requiring extra TLC, however I am aware that they are being refurbished. We'll probably go back for our anniversary, I wish we could do it all over again, it was a fabulous day and even in Largs in winter, the sun did shine!

Room Tip: Go for an Executive room every time! Four poster bed, Jacuzzi bath, sea view, beautiful.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey_Biffy_Brown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Largs
Willowbank Hotel
Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Woodhouse Hotel
Woodhouse Hotel
#9 of 24 in Largs

Been to Brisbane House Hotel? Share your experiences!