“Golden Wedding Celebration”

Brisbane House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Largs
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We decided to hold our Golden Wedding Anniversary celebration at the Brisbane House Hotel on the 23rd February 2013. Marion, one of their event planners met with us three times and made it all so easy as she was able to suggest all kinds of ideas to make the night special, which it really was.
The meal was exceptional and with three choices for each course, it made it hard to choose because they were all equally delicious and the meal was accompanied by red or white wine. The service was faultless and the staff were friendly and very efficient which made it a very successful evening.
We have received thank you cards from many of our guests thanking us for such a wonderful evening and saying how much effort we must have put into arranging the evening, but in actual fact, it was the Brisbane House Hotel staff that did all the work. We want to thank all of them and say that we would highly recommend this venue for any wedding or anniversay celebration.
The big surprise of the evening was the bill. It was very much lower than we had anticipated which was very nice indeed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ValentinoLargsUK

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Brisbane House Hotel for our nephews wedding. We travel a lot and stay in a wide variety of hotels and as such have some idea of what makes a good hotel. The Brisbane to use sporting analogy is a game of two halves. It is sold on Booking.com as a 4 star hotel. The facade, reception area, bar/restaurant and function suite might just rank as 4 star but when you move upstairs to the rooms things change drastically. The corridors are gloomy with threadbare carpets, in fact the carpet directly outside our room (103) actually had large holes in it; a dangerous thing to have in such a gloomy area. Inside the room things did not improve. The floorboards are old and extremely creaky making it impossible to move around the room without waking your other half. This seems to be the same in most rooms as we could hear every movement from the room above and to the side of us. Everyone in our group (of about 14) complained of the excessive heating and the fact that the windows were so badly maintained that they shut of their own accord unless you braced the windows open with a book or some such. Opening a window was the only way to cool the room down as the radiators stayed blisteringly hot no matter which way the valves were turned bad maintenance again. The windows were also filthy on the outside. Our bed was large and comfortable but the pillows were so thin I ended up getting a cushion off a chair to bolster them. My niece, also staying in the hotel told us that she woke with a bad back as the mattress on her bed was so sunken in the middle she had a restless sleep on her side on the edge of the bed all night. There were two chairs in the room both of which were threadbare (see att photo), we placed towels on them before sitting down. The bathroom seemed to have been renovated fairly recently and is high quality apart from the shower, which while adequate lacked real pressure. No bath by the way just the shower. These rooms are definitely not 4 star and considering we paid £120 for the night are a disgrace. A shame when they are making so much money off the wedding in the first place. Breakfast was good the next morning, a choice of cereals, juices and the full fried option. The food at the wedding was also very good, as good as any food we’ve had at a wedding. The saving grace for the hotel was the staff who were all friendly, efficient and helpful but then again that’s what hotel staff should be. Overall the rooms are dated, tired and unkempt and the hotel owners should seriously consider reinvesting some of their profits to improve the rooms. I think the 4 star rating is from a previous era and would rate the rooms 2 star at best.

Room Tip: Go to a local Guest house instead
1  Thank glasgowcouple1
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We spent a night here last weekend, we booked an executive room, the room was well furnished with a 4 poster bed. The bathroom had a lovely walk in shower and a jacuzzi bath....both of which I used.
Good solid grub in the restaurant and a really tasty breakfast, I always enjoy a wee visit to Largs and will definitely use the Brisbane again.

Room Tip: Excellent views from the front of the hotel.
2  Thank Mike K
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Brisbane House Hotel last night as a Groupon deal. Dinner, bed and breakfast for two, bottle of wine up to the value of £23 and free Wi Fi. All the staff were really lovely and the food delicious- delightful fish for dinner last night; I always think the way scrambled eggs are cooked is a good assessment of the chef and, I have to say, it was second to none !! Many thanks to everyone there-we had a lovely time and I would have no hesitation in going back,in fact, am considering organising a Ladies night away there later in the year...,my husband says " Look out Brisbane House Hotel !"

2  Thank Fiona H
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on the 15th February on a Groupon deal which was a present for our 40th birthdays.
On arrival we checked in and the staff were lovely.
Room - we had room 106. We were disappointed as there was an opaque window, badly chipped paint on the window sill, black scuffs on walls and skirting boards. But it was only for one night.
Bathroom - couldn't open the door as the bed was wedged against it. So my hubby had to climb over me to go to the loo! What really got us was the smell. Sewerage. Hubby put the extractor fan on whilst we got ready for dinner to see if that would help.
Dinner - food not good. Chicken strips starter my husband had were hot on the outside and freezing in the middle. My pate was spongy and tasted off. I tried the macaroni cheese for main which had no macaroni, no cheese, no sauce just yellow water that tasted like washing up liquid. My husband had the steak pie which looked and tasted really good! We did mention the problems with the food to reception on the way back to our room. 10 mins later Liz (could have been a manager) came to our room with a free bottle of wine and an offer of sandwiches (which I declined but the wine was lovely).
Breakfast - ok but bit tired. Tea stained cups, no toast, juice jugs looked dirty.

Staff - very nice, professional etc especially Liz and Daryl.

I would normally stay until check out time but the room and its smell didn't warrant us staying around.I hate complaining which is why we didnt cause too much of a fuss there but if the hotel doesn't know of the issues then how can they fix them? so I emailed the hotel on the 17th February advising of everything I have advised here but have yet to have a response or even an email to acknowledge they had received my email.
I checked back on reviews as I wanted to check if 106 had been mentioned before and it has.

I firmly believe that for functions such as weddings this hotel has the views and the staff to make it special which is why it is such a shame that our experience wasn't good.

Room Tip: front facing on a higher floor.
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed overnight in the Brisbane on a dinner, bed, and breakfast groupon deal for £69, which was great value.

The hotel was modern, clean and comfortable. The menu had a good variety of food and the presentation was lovely. The dinner also included a bottle of wine, and unlike any other deals we have been on were given the choice from the whole wine list.

The staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful.

The only negative comment would be that there was a wedding party in the hotel and it did get a bit noisy with guests coming and going from room to room as well as children running up and down the corridors of the hotel.

This would not stop us going back to the hotel but maybe as long as there wasn't a private function going on at the same time.

Room Tip: There is no view in the rooms at the back of the hotel
1  Thank caroline_wilson3
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Spent an evening at the hotel as a wedding guest and did thoroughly enjoy the wedding. The food at the reception and breakfast were reasonably good and our front facing room was a good size. Two negative comments I am afraid first being the lack of any discernible sound proofing between the rooms as you could here every noise from above and next door to you. The second was the room rate which I thought as a 'special' price for the wedding was a tad expensive, £125 for a room at this time of year I thought was steep when you could get a room rate of £70 per night in a four star hotel in Seamill, the difference I would think would have easily paid the taxi fare.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mcadamwj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Largs
Willowbank Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
Woodhouse Hotel
Woodhouse Hotel
#9 of 24 in Largs

Been to Brisbane House Hotel? Share your experiences!