“Lovely restaurant with great service”
Review of Woodhouse Hotel

Woodhouse Hotel
Woodhouse Hotel
Ranked #9 of 24 Largs B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We visit Largs regularly and often think we should try Woody's for dinner, tonight we actually managed to make it happen. The restaurant is in the Woodhouse Hotel and a few minutes walk outside of the main "busy-ness" of Largs, but well worth the minimal amount of effort required to get there. The girl who served us was very friendly, without being intrusive. The food was freshly prepared and tasty. This is basic home cooking very well done. We started with the cheesy garlic mushrooms, which were delicious, and an outstanding haggis pakora. Now the pakora wasn't actually on the menu this evening, we had seen it on a sample menu and, to be honest, that's one of the main reasons we went, however we chatted with the chef and she very graciously offered to make it for us anyway. My DH had the steak pie, perfectly cooked morsels of beef with a tasty gravy and light pastry with the usual potatoes and veg. I had the pasta carbonara which was very good, it's one of the dishes I often make at home (I use the Eric Ripert recipe) and often feel let down by restaurant versions, however this one was good. There comes a point in your travels when you just need good unfussy food, I'd highly recommend Woody's as the place to go.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mandarina65

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed here overnight recently. We had a lovely room, very comfortable bed and plenty of space. We liked the bar but did not try the restaurant although we will definitely try it next time. The breakfast was one of the best we'd ever had. There was plenty of fresh fruit, cereals etc. but the cooked breakfast was stupendous-all freshly cooked to order and to perfection. We'll be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tricia M
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Spent a night here on business. Staff were very friendly and could not be faulted. The bar and dining area are very modern and have a fresh feel however the rest of the hotel is rather dated in places.
I stayed in Room 4 which was pretty cold to say the least. Bed was very comfy and the room was clean. The shower was fine although I would recommend brining your own toiletries as the shower gel was dispensed from one of those machines you see in public toilets! The ironing board I had was not the cleanest and gave my shirt a slightly odd smell after ironing.
Breakfast was superb, great choice and the full English (or should I say Scottish) was very nice indeed.
I would happily stay again if passing through but would not stay here for any length of time. Also at £60 a night for a double room I think it is a tad on the expensive side.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank PalinJunior
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Upon leaving this hotel you cannot help but feel you have experience something only this part of the world can offer. The staff were always on hand with exceptional customer skills, making you feel valued and at ease. We thoroughly enjoyed the fantastic food and the beautiful surroundings. The rooms offered not only a clean environment but they were spacious with comfortable furnishings. I would highly recommend this friends and colleagues, and if there was a higher score this Hotel would have achieved it.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Katty80s
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Spent only one night there, first impressions were ok, staff friendly and welcoming, went up to the room and opened the door only to be met with an arctic chill, room was extremely cold, only one small single heater which didn't work properl it only took the chill off the radiator, not the room ! ( note to owners-- radiator needs bled) Double room booked but was two single beds with a sheet to hold them together, the join was really uncomfortable. Bathroom is all tiled and really cold, shower very small with no room to move, water wasn't hot enough to have a shower anyway. Mould around windows and in toilet.
Only one electric socket which was under radiator , therefore not accessible to plug in hairdryer/straighteners, this socket also is used for the TV and freeview box with a mass of wires (fire hazard?) behind tv. no place to plug in kettle and only one cup provided for two people staying in room. Breakfast was really good with a decent menu, was glad to have a hot drink as it was so cold. All in all wasn't the best hotel we have stayed in but certainly the coldest, if booking please go in the summer months!

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has decent heating, double bed not two singles joined, and please ask for a sho...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had 2 rooms there for 1 night. The rooms were small but very clean.Although the shower was so small that i could barely fit in it,(I am only 6' and 190 lbs). The only thing I had a problem with was that there was a choir practicing after 10 pm I don't know if they were practicing in the building or at some church, but it was loud enough for me to quite easily hear. The breakfasts were good and service was prompt.The hotel is also quite far away from the business district of Largs. The locks on the room doors are not secure. They are skeleton keys and can open up doors other than yours.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Have never had any occasion to stay overnight or longer at this hotel , so can only review the restaurant and Woody's bar .
Difficult to say what, if anything, is actually wrong with this establishment .
Restaurant décor is a bit basic but bright and comfortable enough. Service and food were both very good on the 2 or 3 times I have visited ,and prices are just about right.
Same goes for Woody's bar ..basic but comfortable. I don't know if it ever gets busy ,as whenever I've been there , I've been the only person in the bar. That's what's really lacking at this establishment....atmosphere. There is a fair-sized potential customer base within walking distance ,but for some reason very few bother to come here. Shame , because with some more bodies , this could be a good little local bar.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple