Woodhouse Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
The Kingarth Hotel(Kilchattan Bay)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Seamill Hydro(West Kilbride)
View Hotel
All reviewsfour poster bedhomemade tabletfamily businessbiscuit tintea cakesfantastic foodnight capfriendly hotelroom was cleandecent sizebit datedlovely little placewithin walking distancean evening mealviking festivalrecommend this hotelsome tlc
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My family and I stayed here with friends for my 50th Birthday at the end of March 2013. We had a lovely front room that opened onto a nice balcony and my boys had their own room which they really enjoyed. Both Lilian and Willy were exceptional hosts and provided a warm and welcoming environment with FANTASTIC food. Willy was even gracious enough to lend me his golf clubs for a round although I wouldn't recommend those as they tend to slice a lot of your shots. Seriously though, I would recommend this hotel to family and friends alike. You will have a wonderful time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KIreland63
Reviewed April 14, 2013

A lovely, classic, little inn with all the right touches of home to make you feel welcome. The food and hospitality in the lounge are both definitely top notch, and Willie and Lillian -- plus all the staff -- really do add something special to the stay. The more intimate feel [there are only a few rooms] is perfect for a gathering of friends or family. A very short stroll from the "main strip" of Largs, the hotel is right across the road from a waterfront walk and beautiful views of the Scottish coast.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MarkCS_7
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed here for one night with my partner, Jim and our Jack Russell, Bingo in February on our journey back to Edinburgh after a short break on Skye. Jim had lived in Largs as a child and wanted to revisit old haunts. It was nice to find a hotel that was so relaxed about dogs. We ate out in Largs that evening but returned to the bar at the Woodhouse for a night cap and it was warm and welcoming.

The owners Mr and Mrs Wood were very hospitable and friendly and we were given such a huge and delicious cooked breakfast - square sausage, black pudding, bacon, mushrooms etc that we couldn't eat another thing until we reached Edinburgh that evening. Mrs Wood also gave us a small bag of home made tablet to take away with us which my grandson loved and wants to know when we're going back for more.

We liked this hotel - it was comfortable and friendly - we'll probably be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here because it was just around the corner from my Mum's house. It was our Dad's funeral that day and so we wanted to stay close by. Otherwise this hotel would not have been my first choice and won't feature in my future plans.

Although the paintwork and the carpet appear fresh, the room was really time warped. Furniture is old and a bit past it (e.g. missing drawer handle). Bedside lamp wasn't working on our arrival, but this was rectified immediately when we complained, albeit with a mismatching lamp. A light was out in my brother's room too. The curtains didn't close properly.

The balcony could do with the repainting and was rather unsightly. The light outside our room didn't appear to work and we couldn't see a switch, which made it really dark in the recessed area and difficult to see where we were putting our key.

Although the mattress was comfortable the Four poster bed needs its bolts tightened as the whole bed creaks and moves whenever you turn over. The room was really cold as the central heating radiator is ancient with a 1/4" pipe, which severely restricts the flow of heating.

The bathroom needs upgraded. The toilet seat was unstable and moved whenever you sat on it. Grouting in shower area needs replaced. We didn't use it, preferring to wait until we got home, so can't comment on the pressure. The toilet roll holder came loose so we had to screw it back on. The glass shelf above the sink is an accident waiting to happen. Toiletries provided were exceptionally poor, consisting of a stainless steel hand wash container and a shampoo/ shower gel (?) container in the shower, both fixed to the wall.

There were no wee niceties anywhere in the room.

My meal was ok (Cajun Salmon), but the rest of my family were rather unimpressed with theirs. My niece had Penne Arabiatta, which is normally spicy, but she found it far too spicy and left most of it. I did complain about it but that was as far as I got. My brother had Thai Chicken curry, with lots of chicken but very little flavour. Both he and my husband loved their fresh tomato soup.

In the morning our breakfasts were a bit overdone. The black pudding was so well done I couldn't eat it.

Our room was £90 a night B&B and my brother's small and uninspiring twin room was £80. This hotel needs to up its game substantially before I would consider staying there again. Shame really as the owner is very nice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Gizasmum
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Traditional hotel with very clean rooms whose owners are very friendly and hospitable. Food is excellent and breakfasts are a winner with food freshly prepared and reasonable. I have stayed here twice, once 4 years ago and dec 2012 and the hotels standards have stayed very high with staff that can't help enough. We relaxed downstairs in a very friendly lounge and chatted to staff,the owners and other residents while drinking quality wines. Champion. Glenn

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business