“Lovely lady lovely place”

Carlton Seamill B & B
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed at the Carlton on an overnight stay.found it quite by accident,was on the first night of my honeymoon and the campervan me and my wife had hired and picked up in prestwick had overheated and we needed somewhere to stay.we were greeted by a most overwhelming lady obviously private school educated.AVRIL turned out to be the hostess with the mostest.when she realised it was our honeymoon she delayed showing us to her best room for 20 mins as she told us the cleaner was in the room.avril at her best was only delaying us as she had instructed the local florist to decorate the room with fresh flowers and had the bed covered in fresh orchids (what a lady ) we spent most of the night in the company of AVRIL who indulged us with many of her life's stories and experiences .we had to drag ourselves away from her aw inspiring stories after two bottles of her finest wine .from the Carltons own wine cellar.we climbed the 10 stairs to our room and felt as if we had just climbed WALLACES MONUMENT. HONEYMOON OFF TILL TOMMOROW EVENING woke up the next morn after a very comfortable night in the queen size bed.AVRIL had put on a buffet fit for a king for breakfast .mechanic appeared and fixed campervan and we left on our merry way.Many thanks to AVRIL for our aw inspiring stay at the Carlton

Room Tip: Ask for honeymoon suite
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank butcherEastKilbride
There are newer reviews for Carlton Seamill B & B

Reviewed August 5, 2012

please do yourself and the owner a favour, go somewhere else. this lady all be it very welcoming but she is no longer fit or healthy enough to run a guest house. i really felt sorry for her position in trying to carry on the b&b. on saying that i feel it is unfair not to let unsuspecting tourists or visitors to the area know that you are sharing an old house worn carpets,cracked sinks, personal toiletries in the bathroom, beds well past there best , very strong smell of damp and other things, on the surface the room looked clean but i never went looking as i know by the owners physical and personal condition there is no way beds are pulled out etc. i wasnt there long enough to see if bedding or towels get changed. the owner waits up for you coming in at 1am, locks the door so that you have to wait for her to come down to let you in ,then proceeds to put your pillow slips on as you stand and wait 1 am?? once again i feel sorry for her but she really should not be allowed to charge for the service she provides in her and the houses present condition. she is trying to hold on to her past and charging people to allow her to carry on. i think it is time she stepped back and let someone in to take over the guest house side of things and retired to the lower level of the house and room only would be fairer on the owner and paying public. you have been warned

Room Tip: pay the extra and book the hydro
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank j h
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Great location for both the view and the close proximity for any event at the Hydro. The house is wonderful - full of character and Avril is an attentive host. Breakfast was filling and tasty. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I had to go the Seamill Hydro for a wedding, and stayed at this B&B one night. Decoration of the room was really nice, and full of details. Like being at home. A vintage home, but at home :-) I took continental breakfast, and Avril just try to improve the Scottish experience bu having locl products in the table. She is also a great person, with whom you can have a nice and interesting chat.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank miguel angel a
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed here on a very impromptu stop whilst passing through Scotland doing the jogle. It's such an amazing bed and breakfast, very clean inside with amazing views and a very welcoming and friendly host Avril. After an amazing and comfortable nights sleep we were woken up by an amazing breakfast which was more than enough to help us with our days cycling. The views from the property are just breath taking, making you feel like you can touch the island of Arran. This is a vital bed and breakfast for anyone stopping in the west Kilbride area. By far the best night of our journey cycling from John o'groats to lands end. Thanks Avril for such an amazing comfortable relaxing night.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Quaggy69
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We were attending a wedding in the Seamill Hydro and thought this would be a great place to stay as it was much cheaper. I couldnt have been more wrong!! This was the worst place I have ever been in. I found the house very creepy and uncomfortable. The owner Avril is quite weird and made me feel really uncomfortable.The B&B also has a shared bathroom and this was filthy and didnt lock. Myself and my boyfriend had the double room and my brother and his girlfriend were across the hall in the twin room and they were both very dirty and cluttered with junk. The pillows on the bed looked like they had been soaked in urine and had no pillow cases on them and the room smelled horrible. Before we left the B&B to go to the wedding we tried to lock our room but couldnt work the lock so we informed the owner Avril to which she replied dont worry about it, ill sort it out. I told her that I wanted my room locked so I could take the key with me and she refused and said she needed the door open so she could put pillow cases on the bed. I found this really strange and worrying. She then told us we had to be back by 1am. We returned to the B&B a while later to find that our bedroom door was still open and the pillowcases still werent on the bed. Avril only came up to put them on when we were in the room and this took her 20 minutes and she made me feel very uncomfortable and her own personal hygiene was awful. We then told Avril that we werent staying in the B&B that night and wanted to check out. She was not very amused about this and asked what our reasons were and after I informed her about the bathroom and the rooms she said she assured us that the bathroom did lock and every room was immaculate as the home help had just been in before we arrived. I found this quite funny and just thought Avril was a bit delusional. She also told us that her B&B was a 3 star beautifully decorated Victorian family home which was very amusing to me. I could not wait to leave the Carlton Seamill, I would have rather slept outside than stay here so I would advise for nobody to stay here as you will be very disappointed.

Michelle Bowen

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Michelle B
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My daughter and I had a lovely stay with Avril. We're both big fans of vintage styling, and Avril's Victorian home is the real thing! A friendly and attentive host; comfortable beds; a good breakfast, beautiful sea views. If you're expecting all mod cons - you won't find them here, but you will enjoy all the charm of yesteryear. We were only here for a short stay this time, but I'm going to return with my husband to visit some of the islands, and we definitely be staying at Carlton Seamill.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the sea have beautiful views
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
Willowbank Hotel
Willowbank Hotel
#1 of 3 in Largs

Been to Carlton Seamill B & B? Share your experiences!