“Son's Wedding Sept 2013”
Review of Seamill Hydro

Seamill Hydro
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in West Kilbride
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Son's Wedding Sept 2013”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Anyone considering Seamill Hydro as a venue for their wedding will not be disappointed! Everything from the premises, the setting, the staff and the food is fantastic.
Our son had his wedding here last month and we can't speak highly enough of our two M.C.'s "Stormin" Norman and Martin - they were so professional, yet totally friendly and made the day go faultlessly - thanks guys, you were both absolute stars!
All of our guests, without exception, we're highly complimentary of Seamill and all had a fantastic day.
Thanks Seamill, you were brilliant.
Bill & Susan.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HydroManager, Guest Relations Manager at Seamill Hydro, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Bill and Susan,

Thank you for your lovely review.

We were so happy to be part of Gemma and Graham's special day, I am delighted everyone had a wonderful time.

Kind regards
Claire Palmer
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I'm sitting here writing this, waiting for checkout, looking out at a view of Arran emerging from the clouds. The coastline is dreamy (well, as I come from the area I could add nightmarish, as well). Years ago, this place was the byword for quality and luxury. I had planned to come here to eat and bring my parents and sister and I unexpectedly had the chance to stay here too due to a change in plans. I was quite looking forward to it.

My first room had a problem with something falling from the bathroom ceiling so I was moved to another room, an upgraded sea view. The room is huge. There's a large bay window facing the sea and another window to the side, facing the hotel. As I got in late, I didn't really notice a lot and was tired after dinner and went straight to sleep. The king bed was 2 singles stuck together with than annoying ridge in the middle. The area is quiet and still so I slept well on the firm mattress. The furniture in the grand room is slightly underwhelming. Not quite in step with the feel that I think they are going for. It's a bit cheap looking. Overall the look of the bedroom is akin to an elderly residential care facility. Everything has been bought with cost in mind and none for style or comfort.

The bathroom is particularly bad. It's dated. An electric shower where you might need to think yourself wet. Cracked sink. It was all probably top of the range in 1986 but it needs a serious overhaul.

No lift in this part of the hotel and if you're upstairs, you might need to organise help with luggage. Strange smell in the hallway.....smelled like wet dog but I haven't heard any woofs or seen any mutts around. Staff have been efficient if not exactly warm. They need to look at that I think as I don't seem to be the only person mentioning this. Some parts of the hotel are modern and swish but others, not at all.

Breakfast was odd. Wide range of continental pastries and fruit but the cooked Scottish breakfast was dry and joyless. I could taste salt (it is Ayrshire) but the bacon aside, it was really disappointing. The sausages were surely the most value/budget I've ever had the misfortune to taste. Overcooked poached eggs. Black pudding (which I love) was so dry I could practically feel it absorbing moisture from the sea air. Everything seemed to be on the cheap. There is decent local produce in the area, seeing as how it's basically filled with dairy farms. Take the tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Cheap plastic kettle, the instant coffee is so cheap it's not even branded. Here was a real opportunity to add a touch of luxury with some real coffee or some tablet (Google it) or something to elevate it beyond a Premier Inn. The big business is weddings and the ensuing guests staying over and with the paucity of competition in the area, I can see why the Seamill Hydro manages to keep afloat and why some may think this is luxury. My parents still think it's unbelievably fancy (they haven't seen the rooms) and if you've not travelled much, you'd probably think so too.

I've stayed in many hotels in my time: some small, other big; some boutique, others chain. The Seamill Hydro is missing a trick here. They could be positioning themselves as a boutique and luxury hotel. They could be making it a destination hotel for locals and Glaswegians with an eye on pampering and food & drink but to do that, they'll need to up their game. Overall the quality feel that they've ended up with is budget. I paid £90 for the night which included breakfast. Now that's not expensive in my mind but for the area, it's astronomical. I've stayed in B&B's or gastro pubs that do all of this so much better for a similar price. What a wasted opportunity of a great location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank stevenr35
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hotel, beautiful location and very friendly and helpful staff especially Amanda in the hotel restaurant. The facilities were fantastic. My children enjoyed playing in the lovely safe playpark in the grounds of the hotel. The food in the Orangery was second to none with a fantastic children's menu. Will definitely be back. ...thanks for a lovely break.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lynne M
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My daughter and I booked a last minute Spa break and were not disappointed. Our room had been refurbished and was very comfortable. Decor was contemporary and although we did not have a seaview room we were very happy with what we had. The room was warm and quiet and overlooking a flat roof but as we were staying one night it was fine. The treatments that we received from the spa were lovely and the staff were very professional and friendly. This was a highlight! We would definitely return for a massage and facial.
We chose to dine in the Aura Bar which had a reasonably varied menu and the atmosphere was informal. All the dished were reasonably priced and we enjoyed the strawberry cocktails! The food was hot and plentiful and again the staff were helpful, friendly and attentive. We chose not to have dessert but were very tempted with the large choices.
After a restful sleep we returned to the Aura for breakfast. There was plenty to choose from, cereal, toast, fruit, yoghurts and juices. We also had a cooked breakfast with all that you could wish for of expect. It was very tasty, hot and again served with smile. The staff were very busy but again very attentive and helpful.
All in all a great wee break and we would definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We have just stayed for two nights and stayed in a suite in the new wing. The room was large and comfortable with superb views over the Clyde to Ailsa Craig. The biggest disappointment was te shower, a large separate enclosure, far better than over the bath, but no water pressure. There is no lift in the new wing so had to lug the case up two floors - not suitable for people with mobility problems.
A noticeable point is that there is no light pollution, so much so that the curtains were just a heavy net type which were more than enough!
Breakfasts very good with a good choice. We did not want a meal on the first night so tried to eat in the bar area. Signage misleading as it only stated from 5pm, but when w tried to order just after 9pm were told they had stopped serving and go to the main restaurant which we said we did not want to do. As a result the hotel missed out on revenue for two meals ad drinks. The following night we were part of an organised group and the meal was excellent.
This hotel has very good facilities with superb views and makes an ideal base for visiting the surrounding area and islands.

Room Tip: A sea view is a must. Avoid the rooms in the old wing as they are tired.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is our 2nd time to seamill and it was as fantastic as the 1st time. We had a refurbished double room with seaview. The room was beautiful and extremely clean. Im very fussy when it comes to cleanliness and could not find any in our room. The staff at reception are very courteous and helpful. Lovely welcoming smiles and friendliness, was great to see staff that wanted to make our stay excellent. The orangery restaurant, what can i say , the chef 10 out of 10 food was amazing, and waiting staff very attentive. We finished our night in the aura bar and once again staff friendly and was a lovely atmosphere. Breakfast was included in price and great variety hot and cold. All in all , our stay was amazing, so much so we ve booked again for a 2 night stay in february. Can not recommend this hotel enough, the location is great , hotel is beautiful a great break from everyday life. Only thing i would say is when booking a room make sure it is refurbished, the old rooms are not nice at all but the hotel are in process of updating them all .

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Mandyg9
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Better late than never - Got married here May 2013 and I cannot fault a single thing. Before the big day there was a little hiccup with one of the bars being closed for refurbishment, the staff could not have been more accommodating and quickly sorted another space for us to use which turned out better than we could have dreamed off - along with complimentary drinks and canopies for our guests (and this was the night before) On the big day our faith was in Martin as he MC'd throughout and kept the day flowing and guests happy. Staff were all lovely and even came out in procession when we sang happy birthday to a 1 yr old guest. There were no complaints from our 97 strong wedding party about the food as it was served all together, hot and was high quality and large portions (honestly the best wedding food I have ever had). The food was restaurant quality rather than function quality. Seamill Hydro were accommodating to our elderly family, wheelchair users as well as our piper, band etc. We did not have to worry about a thing on the day, everything was taken care of for us.
All in all the 3 star rating for this hotel does not do it justice. With beautiful scenery and wonderful, friendly accommodating staff it is a perfect wedding venue and we have no worries recommending it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Ardrossan
Glenisle Hotel
Glenisle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lamlash

Been to Seamill Hydro? Share your experiences!