“You need to let people relax”
Review of Seamill Hydro

Seamill Hydro
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in West Kilbride
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Came to Seamill Hydro for overnight stay in September 2013.

I would have given this place 5/5 if it wasn't wasted by the over zealous Restaurant Manager who made it so obvious we had outstayed our welcome at Breakfast.

Faulty Towers and Basil Fawlty came to mind as he hovered next to us waiting to clear our table. Keeping a prison guard presence next to us and ghosting about the tables in order to disrupt us is not professional now is it?

Future Point to note Mr Restaurant Manager, the reason people come to the hotel is for a rest and relax, not to hurry up because you want the place cleared.

Oh and by the way saying "Goodbye and have a nice day" as we left the breakfast bar does nothing for me.

A minor irritation & overall everything else cannot be faulted. 5/5 to the Reception, Pool and Salon Staff. Big Thanks

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed September 7, 2013

On 30 August 2013 our elder son and his fiancée were married at Seamill Hydro. They had chosen this as the venue for their wedding for a number of reasons: it has stunning views of Arran, the hotel offers a range of flexible packages to suit guest numbers and budgets, the quality of the public areas used for the ceremony and for the meal and ceilidh is very good, the food was superb, as were all the staff who we dealt with, both in the run up to the event and on the day itself. It has good train links with Glasgow via the nearby station in West Kilbride and is conveniently close for those at the ceremony who had travelled over from Ireland. The staff are well practised at dealing with weddings and nothing was too much trouble for them. Our new daughter-in-law tells us that dealing remotely with the hotel was made easier by tele-conferencing with them in the latter stages of preparation. Large numbers of the wedding guests stayed at the hotel and everyone was happy with their accommodation. If you are looking for an attractive well run hotel that can minimise the stress associated with a wedding, then Seamill Hydro should be on your shortlist. We would like to especially thank Martin, the staff member we dealt with directly on the day for his good humour and for the efficient unobtrusive way he conducted the proceedings.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wedidthis
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was fortunate enough to be the florist and a guest at a wedding at Seamill Hydro at the end of August,and found the staff so helpful .Norman certainly knows his stuff.The place was very clean with great food and the views over the water to Arran were fab.
I would recommend the hotel for any occasion or a wee lunch in the orangery.
Very Happy Lizzy of the Valley :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elizabeth W
Reviewed September 6, 2013

First time at Seamill hydro today for lunch and will definitely return after a really nice meal and great service. We ordered sandwiches which come with salad, coleslaw and crisps and were really impressed by the portion size and value for money followed by the coffee and cake deal at £2.99 which again we thought was great and good value. The staff were really nice and efficient without being over bearing and the décor was really modern with wonderful views across the water. Cant believe I have always driven past here many times but will stop in regularly from now on

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beyonce7
HydroManager, Guest Relations Manager at Seamill Hydro, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for you wonderful 5 star review.

I am pleased you decided to visit us after driving past so many times and we did not dissapoint. I will ensure your comments are relayed Scott Gilmour our Executive Head Chef and his team.

We will be more than happy to welcome you back with us again in the near future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We attended a wedding and stayed just one night here and we left with a good impression.

The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable.

The facilities are appealing (pool, steam room, sauna) with full locker rooms. There is also a small fitness facility. The main ball rooms reserved for the wedding were perfect. The views from the patio were absolutely breathtaking and incredible.

The restaurant had a good evening vibe and provided a full breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tmingi

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review.

I am glad you enjoyed your experience at the Seamill Hydro, next time you return it maybe for a midweek or weekend break, be sure to keep an eye on our own website for special offers.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I spent a week here at the tail end of August with my 15 year old son: booked a suite with a sea view within the adjoining block which was fine....great views and a good room layout that served us very well, however, as good as the specification was, there is evidence of cost cutting with the little things..... A shower control that exploded in my hand the first time I tried to use it for example....cheap plastic fittings in an environment like this don't work....one or two other touches were also missed in an otherwise nice bathroom like having wall mounted fittings for shampoos and soaps etc...silly, but details are important.
The hotel overall is in a fantastic location with stunning sea views so I can understand why it's popular with the wedding crowd. The hotel clearly specialises in this area and generates very nice revenue I'm sure....however, I do not like the feel of beings a slightly 2nd class citizen when a wedding is taking place (there were 3 on concurrent days whilst we were there).

We didn't eat in the Orangery although we had a lovely lunch via there on the patio outside....very recommended. The Aura bar and restaurant are great and the standard of food is excellent. The staff throughout need to develop some warmth towards their guests I think: I understand lots of students being drafted in over the summer holidays, but they are still ambassadors for the business as temporary as their positions may be and a number of them displayed ambivalence at best whilst serving or with general help.

Overall, we had a great stay and would consider popping back for a meal at some stage, but as a regular traveller through business and pleasure, I notice the details that make up a great hotel/restaurant business....the Hydro is close, but not there yet.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tom F
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Having previously experiences problems with staff due to my lactose & gluten intolerance I felt it was time to provide a more up to date review on the orangery.

Twice recently on visiting Stephen Rourke has been on duty (on my first visit as a waiter and last night as the duty manager in the Orangery). He is fantastic and a total credit to the Seamill Hydro. There were 9 of us there last night for a family meal and Stephen and the waiter Russell could not have been more helpful and attentive.

I ordered the goats cheese salad as a starter, the last time it was served without the bruschetta, this time I got a slice of gluten free bread toasted along with it. I then decided to have the lamb chops but did not like the look of the bean cassolett and as chorizo has milk in it I could not take this, so it was served with saute potatoes and a gluten free gravy. I ordered the lemon sundae for desert (adding extra sorbet instead of ice cream) but on checking my request with the chef (which Stephen did with all my dishes) they discovered the lemon curd has butter so it was suggested to me a fruit platter and lemon sorbet, which was lovely, not scrimped on and the fruit was very fresh.

All the rest of the party enjoyed their meals, all plates were cleared and there were no complaints. Fab meal at the Orangery and the bar staff have improved their french martini making skills since the last time :-).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lemar37

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic 5 star review of The Orangery.

I am pleased you returned after having a few minor issues on previous visits, and we were able to restore your faith in the Seamill Hydro and staff. Steven is a true credit to the team and you will agree his promotion to duty manager was well deserved.

It is reviews like this that really do make the team motivated in providing great experiences for other guests.

I will ensure Stephen, Russell and Scott our head chef are made aware of your review and they will be delighted as I was on reading this.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Kilbride
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
Lauriston Hotel
Lauriston Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ardrossan

Been to Seamill Hydro? Share your experiences!