“Room for improvement”
Review of Ramnee Hotel

Ramnee Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Forres
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Ramnee, which is an imposing building from the front,and close to the main shops. On entering the room we found toilet paper in the toilet bowl, which we assumed had been used to wipe around the hand basin and the curtain pelmet hanging off which I secured with clips attached to the pelmet. The decoration was rather dated although quite clean. All other aspects of the room were however very good with a good sized bathroom, an excellent bed which was very comfortable and an abundance of storage space. We found the food to be very good with adequate portions. The staff were brilliant. Everyone was cheerful and helpful and went out of their way to ensure our stay was as good as possible. All in all the positives far outweigh the few negatives.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank colin501Kirkcaldy

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Second stay at the Ramnee , its just ok . The price is comparative to a night at a malmaison but not even slightly in the same league . The staff are friendly enough and the food is fine but the rooms are a big let down .. its like staying at your grans , its very 1970s , and probably not been touched since .We stayed in a superior room overlooking the front garden , but the wallparer was hanging off obviously due to damp . Bathroom was old and the shower was poor , setting was hot or hotter .. if the place had a serious makeover it would be worth another look ..... but not at that price ...

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank poll007
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Nice staff and service but the rooms are very tired, outdated and really needs renovating- especially for charging £130 per night. Definitely not worth this. Would not stay again due to poor value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ciara36
Reviewed July 2, 2013

we have had a lovely stay at the Ramnee Hotel, it was a very busy weekend at this time, however the staff made our stay very pleasant, the rooms we had were comfortable good beds very clean with lots of extras provided. The food was very good, wonderful menu in the evening the breakfast was exceptional lots of it.The most important part of this hotel is the family involvement from the owners the staff are charming and helpful in every way. We had 9 in our party all family no complaints all delighted with the Ramnee we thoroughly recommend this fabulous hotel

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Went to the Ramnee for lunch. Lovely location which really typifies the Highland coast. The gardens are beautifully kept and the setting is wonderful. The food is excellent both in taste and quality. There is a variety of food which is well priced. The hotel interior is a little run down, however, it adds to the charm.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed in the Ramnee for a short break. We were most impressed from start to finish. All staff couldn't do enough to help make our stay first class. They always greeted us with a smile and were very friendly and helpful with our toddler. The meals were exceptional with an extensive menu. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My partner & I stayed here last night. We had a lovely clean room, the bed was very comfy & we also had a bath & a shower which were spotless. The staff were lovely & very helpful. The breakfast was well presented & tasty, my partner had the full Scottish & I had eggs on toast which were poached perfect. My only gripe was that I never slept at all because of the heat in our room. I called the night porter at 3am for a fan which he took up but it never really helped. When I mentioned this in the morning to the receptionist she called the manager who came down to ask what the problem was. I explained that I hardly slept at all because of the heat but because no one has complained about the heat before he never took my complaint seriously. He asked me what he was expected to do about it & I suggested that a proper fan should be placed in that room (the fan I was given wasn't that great). I was made to feel that I was just trying to get money off the room which made me feel terrible. I don't know if it was the way my partner & I were dressed (jeans & t-shirt) while everyone else were quite suited & booted, maybe.
I've worked in the hospitality industry for 20 years & just because someone complains about something that has never been complained about before doesn't mean there isn't a problem.
As I said before though, everything else was fantastic apart from the fact I never slept well.
(It was room 203 by the way)

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ainsley R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forres
The Cluny Bank Hotel
#3 of 7 in Elgin
Dowans Hotel
Dowans Hotel
#1 of 1 in Aberlour

Been to Ramnee Hotel? Share your experiences!