“Poor service”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Forres
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Poor service”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and I stopped for a meal here. The food was very good, however the service was annoyingly poor. My wife asked for a starter only, I a main course. The waiter confirmed that we wanted these served together. This did not happen. My wife sat and watched me eat, I watched her eat. Not a together dining experience. I complained but recieved no apology, only a blame to the kitchen. I was charged the whole amount and paid by card. I expected something like, " Sorry you had to wait". Instead I received, "Your card." and a turned back.

I travel through Forres regularly but will never eat here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Robert R
GarryDinnes, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your dining experience at Ramnee Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your meal, however extremely disappointed this was spoilt by poor service from a member of our staff. Our service standard is normally very high and I will be investigating why we let ourselves down on this occasion. Personally I abhor poor service and can assure you I will address this situation. I would hope you would would visit us again in the future as I am sure your experience would be very different. Thank you again for the feedback. Kind regards Garry W Dinnes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Penicuik
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Had wanted to stay in this hotel for some time but had always stayed with friends but due to a berevement we stayed in the Ramnee, what a good choice we made, we were very happy with the staff and accomodation and the breakfasts. We had to arrange a evening meal in the hotel for some friends and the hotel were able to cope with our request althought they were fully booked and they arranged a table for us with no fuss, we invited our guests back to our room for a quiet time after the day and it was one of the front facing rooms and it was warm and comfortable and spacious. We will stay here again when in the area, which is a couple of times a year.

Room Tip: Front or back rooms all have good views either the park and Cluny hill or views over the Findhorn es...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GarryDinnes, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Ramnee, we hope you will return in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Garry W Dinnes
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed here a few weeks ago for one night as I was working in the area, wish I was able to stay longer as I really liked the place.

The building itself is very impressive and set in well maintained gardens, just off a main road so very easy to find.

First impressions were good, reception staff very friendly and seemed genuinely happy to be there (it's surprising how many receptionists I come across who clearly hate their job!). I was shown to my room which although not massive was large enough and nicely decorated with a large tv.

I literally couldn't find a fault with the cleanliness of the room, absolutely immaculate - and even then the housekeeping staff still knocked my door to ask if I was happy. A sign of a hotel that really care about cleanliness.

I never ate in the hotel in the evening , the menu did look good but I fancied a wander in the area in the evening. After having breakfast in the morning though I wish I had ate in the hotel the night before as it was excellent.

If I am ever in the area again it's definitely somewhere I would happily stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GarryDinnes, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
We really appreciate your kind comments, our staff work really hard to ensure our guests enjoy their stay and the feedback makes it all worthwhile ! We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back some time. Kind regards Garry W Dinnes
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Ramnee. The rooms were large and comfortable, breakfast was great and everything was within walking distance in town. The building itself is beautiful, set back from the road. Service was efficient and polite. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GarryDinnes, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for your kind comments regarding your service experience at Ramnee Hotel, kind regards Garry W Dinnes
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stopped off here after a wee trip to Dingwall and on the way to Aberdeen. The Ramnee is a lovely Victorian (?) stately pile.
Warm welcome, great food, big spacious rooms and a friendly well-stocked bar.

Choice of traditional or Highland breakfast in a well appointed dining room overlooking the splendid Ramnee grounds.

Not sure if I'll be back in Forres but if I am, I would stay here again, no question.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GarryDinnes, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Stephen. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Ramnee Hotel. The building is Edwardian, completed in 1906 for Richard Hamblin and the "curious name" relates to his time served in the Indian Civil Service ! Delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future, regards, Garry W Dinnes
Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights recently. Best sleep I have had in a hotel for a long time - despite having a bad cold! The room was a good size and the bed was huge! Nice to have a bath and shower and the water was piping hot! Breakfast menu was good - mmmmmm smoked salmon with scrambled eggs for breakfast. For £10 more than I paid the week before in a 'budget hotel without breakfast - I WILL definately be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GarryDinnes, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Lesley, delighted you enjoyed your stay at Ramnee and pleased you commented on the value we offer and the quality of your sleep and your breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ramnee at some time in the future. Kind regards Garry W Dinnes
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Going back to the Ramnee was like going back through time.Nothing had changed since I was last there some 50 years ago,except the staff of course.We used to visit it a lot when I was stationed at Kinloss,in the sixties.
The food was good,the staff very pleasant,but I do believe the up grading of the interior seems to me to be long overdue.
We did enjoy our stay though

Room Tip: Do not have a room on the so called ground floor,which is in fact down a flight of stairs,and our ro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DEREK S
GarryDinnes, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Derek, We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind comments on the quality of the food and standard of service you received. As with most hotels upgrading and refurbishment is a bit like painting the Forth Road Bridge; investment in the hotel is on-going and will be through the Winter months. These are, however, challenging times for everyone in hospitality !
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forres
The Cluny Bank Hotel
Premier Inn Elgin Hotel
Laichmoray Hotel
Laichmoray Hotel
#2 of 7 in Elgin

Been to Ramnee Hotel? Share your experiences!