“Pleasant change!”
Review of Ramnee Hotel

Ramnee Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Forres
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights recently. Best sleep I have had in a hotel for a long time - despite having a bad cold! The room was a good size and the bed was huge! Nice to have a bath and shower and the water was piping hot! Breakfast menu was good - mmmmmm smoked salmon with scrambled eggs for breakfast. For £10 more than I paid the week before in a 'budget hotel without breakfast - I WILL definately be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GarryDinnes, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Lesley, delighted you enjoyed your stay at Ramnee and pleased you commented on the value we offer and the quality of your sleep and your breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ramnee at some time in the future. Kind regards Garry W Dinnes

There are newer reviews for Ramnee Hotel

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Going back to the Ramnee was like going back through time.Nothing had changed since I was last there some 50 years ago,except the staff of course.We used to visit it a lot when I was stationed at Kinloss,in the sixties.
The food was good,the staff very pleasant,but I do believe the up grading of the interior seems to me to be long overdue.
We did enjoy our stay though

Room Tip: Do not have a room on the so called ground floor,which is in fact down a flight of stairs,and our ro...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DEREK S

Derek, We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind comments on the quality of the food and standard of service you received. As with most hotels upgrading and refurbishment is a bit like painting the Forth Road Bridge; investment in the hotel is on-going and will be through the Winter months. These are, however, challenging times for everyone in hospitality !

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We rented a self catering property from the Ramnee. Firstly there is no flexibility on pricing which is quite expensive. When we arrived at the property we really found it very dated. However the location was excellent, walking distance to local bars and restaurants and even a park across the road for kids. We ate in the hotel bar but found it very expensive. We considered breakfast at the hotel one morning but for 4 adults and 4 young kids it was over £80. No flexibility even if the kids were only having cereal. Don't think we would stay here again as it is not really worth the money. Much more modern properties available, however location really is good.

• Stayed: August 2012

John, you would have been one of the last guests to stay at this villa which was in the process of being sold. This was a great property and it would certainly have benefited from a refurbishment had we retained it. I understand your comments on the breakfast charge for the children and think a more flexible attitude should have been adopted; that said I totally disagree that £10 for an adult, for a full cooked and served breakfast is in no way expensive and therefore take issue with your review title, which, to the casual viewer does not present a fair and accurate picture !

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The website led me to think this would be a lovely place to stay. It was OK but not great, and I cannot justify the cost, which at £160 a night B&B is far too expensive. I don't mind paying that price but I do expect more for my money than I got here. The gardens and exterior are lovely but the interior and bedrooms are tired looking in places. Our greeting at reception was very abrupt, sharp and rushed; I almost felt like we had disturbed her. Our room (superior) was large and it overlooked the gardens. Furnishings were tired and could do with updating e.g. framed prints on the walls that I wouldn't expect to see in a decent B&B and some mouldy patches in the bath surrounds. I also noticed that all of the electrical equipment in our room did not have a current PAT test certificate (should have been done at the start of June) which is a H&S issue that needs rectifying. Breakfast is adequate, cereals and freshly cooked hot options. Again staff could do with some basic training - it was irritating to see them just brush crumbs etc off the table onto the carpet. Breakfast finishes at 0930 and within minutes staff started clearing away the buffet, we had almost finished our cooked breakfast and were asked if we wanted anything left, but it made us feel as though we should hurry up. Evening meals in the bar are typical pub grub but quite expensive. Service here was better than at reception, the barmen were very helpful and attentive; on occasions the sharp receptionist came in to help serve meals and she still had the same brusque manner. Free WiFi was appreciated. There weren't any functions in the hotel during our stay so we didn't have problems of noisy guests but there was a large room set up for one as we left. I wouldn't stay here again because I think it is overpriced and the sharp receptionist needs some training in guest relations!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sophia27
GarryDinnes, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. It is extremely disappointing when one member of a very good team lets the side down. I receive many, many compliments on the attentive, helpful and welcoming nature of the staff we employ. Please accept my apology for your experience and be assured full "hospitality" will be restored. I am delighted to advise our new head chef is now on board and will be presenting exciting new menus very shortly. I can also confirm refurbishment of bedrooms will resume as we head into the quieter season.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed for two nights on business.

The hotel is a period building set in immaculate gardens.

I was allocated room 209 on arrival. The room, which was on the first floor, overlooked the front lawn and the Nelson Tower, which is immediately opposite. Reception was brusque and brief.

The room furnishings and decoration were tired and in need of refreshing. The bed was comfortable and the linens and towels were fresh. The room had been cleaned to a reasonable standard. Bathroom toiletries were by Neutrogena. Mould was present in the bathroom. Free WiFi was available throughout.

There was a private function taking place during the evening and I had received an email from the hotel to advise that there might be noise from the live band.

Unfortunately, there was a great deal of noise, shouting and banging until 2am, which seriously affected my ability to sleep. External noise was clearly audible through the door and through the single-glazed windows which overlooked the car park.

I took breakfast during my stay. There was a small selection of croissants, yogurt, fruit cocktail and cereal. Hot breakfast was cooked to order and was adeqate.

I would not chose the Ramnee for a personal stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Bellagi0

Thank you for your feedback, we take on board all comments and appreciate the opportunity to address any issued raised. Saturday night is a busy night in the hotel; if we have events in the hotel we manage our room bookings to accommodate guests away from any noise disturbance. This was a late booking, direct into our system from Booking.com, noticing this reception responded by contacting you to advise the only accommodation available had potential for noise disturbance; while we apologise profusely for this you were advised this was likely to be an issue ! I shall be addressing the other points raised and thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed here in a Classic Room Double En-Suite. The Hotel and its immidiate surroundings are very pretty. Get here in good time for parking as in the evening it became very busy with people coming from all over to eat in the restauant.
The reception staff were very friendly and informative. The Room itself 209 is fairly small for the amount you pay but all the same very nice room decorated to complement the history of the Hotel. The Bed was very comfy offering a very good nights sleep. Shower, Bath, Toilet, Bidet, Wash Basin Everything you could possibly require.
TV offering all Freeview Channels and Free WiFi throughout the Hotel.
The restaurant in the evening was set out beautifully with food to match. The chocolate Roulade was to die for.
Breakfast was also very nice with perculated coffee cooked Breakfast to order, myself having a Traditional Breakfast and my wife Scrambled egg with scottish Salmon.
Staff were friendly and curtious during our stay always on hand if you require anything.
overall a satisfying stay. Well done Ramnee
Would i stay here again ................ Yes.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
GarryDinnes, Owner at Ramnee Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Ramnee. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Regards GWD MD

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Stayed just for one night, used the bar and restaurant, all was fine but £90 for a single room incl. breakfast, which was good, was a bit steep. Good bits - location, comfortable but small bed, breakfast, Poor bits - Shower, size of room, price.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Ramnee, we appreciate all feedback. Please understand our charge for sole occupancy, bed & full cooked breakfast was £75.00, which we consider to be very good value; the remainder being the Chancellors VAT grab !

Also consider these accommodations in or near Forres
Knockomie Hotel
#3 of 9 in Nairn
Mansion House
Mansion House
#3 of 7 in Elgin

Been to Ramnee Hotel? Share your experiences!