“Sneaky School night break”
Review of Knockomie Hotel

and 1 more site!
Knockomie Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Forres
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Knockomie Hotel was great value for money and the food delicious and the service very good. Had a lovely evening meal with friends and a great nights sleep in a Four Poster bed. There was a slight problem with the faulty coffee pot at breakfast but when requested it was changed immediately with apologies and a smile. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
KnockomieForres, Owner at Knockomie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Thank You so Much For taking time to write a Tripadvisor review! loved your " Sneaky School Night Break" I hope we can us that in future marketing! look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on Saturday 9th of November and stayed until Monday 11th of November. We stayed at the hotel through an itison deal.

"1 x A two-night break in a master room at the 4* Knockomie Hotel including Full Scottish breakfast both days, chilled bottle of Prosecco & Pudding Extravaganza in your room on arrival & homemade shortbread on the second day"

The welcome to the hotel was pleasant but rather rushed. We waited around 10mins for someone to come to the 'reception/check-in'. He rushed us through paperwork and hastily asked us if we were dining in the hotel - he then showed us to our room.

The room isn't what anyone would call a master room nowadays. Maybe back in the 60's where the room decor belongs. Old tattered wooden furniture (not the antique kind).
Bed wasn't the most comfortable and is a regular double size. Pillows weren't exactly fluffy.

Glad the Prosecco and Pudding extravaganza were in its place.

The bathroom is very nice, modern and is clean feeling.

The next morning for breakfast (Sunday) we waited another 10 or so minutes to be offered tea. When it came to ordering - no potato scone and no beans...Scottish breakfast without a wee tattie scone? Hmm. :)
Breakfast was ok. Nothing to sing songs about.

After a long day of sightseeing. We were looking forward to a nice wee cuppa and some homemade shortbread in our room. Nothing. Not even a crumb. We were too tired to go looking around the hotel for someone to give us shortbread so made do with the pre-packaged biscuits already there.

Again breakfast the next day(Monday) - no other guests in the hotel. At 9am the dining room was in darkness. Only a selection of cereals, a fruit salad and yoghurt was on offer. And a croissant. With some fruit juice.
No hotel staff to be seen anywhere.
We ate what was out in darkness - until around 9.40am someone came and offered us a cooked breakfast or tea. By which time we were just about finished.

Check-out = finding someone in a cubby hole/office and interrupting a conversation with a staff member.

I checked out in the middle of a hallway and was on my way.

In the whole 35 or so hours we were there we actually only spoke to 3 members of staff.
At check-in, breakfast and check-out.

Definitely would not be recommending, or returning.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BluebellMunro

Thank you for your review!
We are disappointed that you appear not to have had the perfect Knockomie Experiance, which goes against the grain! in so many ways!
I apologise that you did not enjoy what we offer,
We recognise that your check in, was different to so many hotels, we have shunned the traditional barrier ( Reception Desk) and welcome guests (and our goodbuys) in the the front hall, On the Saturday evening that you checked in we Where indeed busy, with only one spare table, so while your Headline title describes us as a ghost hotel, we dont think it is entirely a fair refection on the reality, although Sunday like many Hotels in November was some what quieter.

Indeed the restaurant is dark, we took a decision that the main experiance would be an evening one,with lots of Candels.
Had you had dinner on either evening, I think, but can not promise that you would have seen the dinning experiance in a different light so to speak!

Having spoken to my very small but dedicated team they are upset that you thought they did not finnish a conversation immediatly on your appearence, and both asked that I convey that apology to you.

I have read your other 2 reviews ( I always do, it helps me understand more about our guests travel patterns) and I am delighted you had a good time in Forres which has much to offer.

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my partner have just come back today from a 2 night stay at the Knockomie Hotel. We found a really good deal and had a week off so we headed up mid week.

From when we arrived we realised the nothing was too much trouble for the staff. They were all super friendly and really helpful. They were always checking we were ok (not oppressively) if we were in one of the quieter rooms. Always made an effort to chat. They also suggested places to visit and lent us a map.

The food was superb, to the point that on the second night we had planned to go out, but decided to stay in as it had been so good the night prior. Breakfast was also very good.

The room was huge, clean with plenty of storage and lovely views. Some of the carpets/decor was a little dated but it's an old country hotel so it is to be expected.

There were plenty of quiet public areas with cosy fires to sit and chill out. They have a great selection of drinks, local ale, beers and many malt whiskies!

We left feeling refreshed and really happy with our stay and experience. Thanks to all the lovely staff. We will hopefully be back again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

I am very appreciative that you have taken time to write a review, it has given our team a real boost. You have summed up what I somtimes fail to put into words so well, Thank You.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Really pleasurable stay at the Knockomie. In fact, I liked it so much I went back & stayed there twice!
The hotel itself is charming & cosy, clean & comfortable. Breakfast is hearty & my eggs cooked to my specification.
Dinner even better. A really good & varied menu & very generous portions.Delicious.
However, it's the people who made my stay so great.
All of the staff were very friendly, helpful & attentive. But I must make special mention of John, Johnnie & Aga (please forgive me if I have mis-spelt that last name). What a Welcome I received each evening such a pleasure & if I get the chance I will definitely go back to the Knockomie.
Cannot recommend highly enough

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

WOW, winter is arriving and I am catching up with what I should have said immediatly, Thank you!
it was great to see you, Not once, but Twice!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I had the pleasure of visiting the Knockomie Hotel for dinner a few weeks ago whilst in Forres on a work trip. I thought the whole atmoshphere and décor were really charming and cosy - just what a country house should be! Our party dined in the private Strathcona dining room which I thought was beautiful. A massive table laid with simple tealights and greenery was very pretty, the room itself was nicely decorated.....it was just what I'd love my own dining room to be like!

The food was delicious - I particularly recommend the ham hock terrine with bruschetta (the freshest, lightest started I've had in a long time) and the chocolate tart which came with a divine raspberry sorbet. I could easily have eaten an entire bowl full of just the sorbet. The service was wonderful, our wine glasses were kept full all evening and the manager also organised taxis for us all at the end of the night.

The next time I visit Forres, I'll be sure to stay in the Knockomie.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

It is lovely to read your Kind words, for the rest of the world to see, The Strathcona Room lends it self to celerbration so well. Thank you

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Had a wonderful nights sleep here in the peace and quiet of a lovely Scottish hotel. Our dinner at night was first class. The hotel is very comfortable and relaxing. Our room was very nice but a bit small and housekeeping attention to detail could have been a bit better. Would I recommend this hotel to anyone - yes. Would I stay there again - yes. Would I dine at Knockomie again - definately.

Room Tip: Ground floor room with french doors are a delight.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write a few very kind word about your time here at Knockomie, It so important that potential guest's have the oppertunity to read independant reviews, to help them make informed travel plans, your contribution is greatly appreciated. G

Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The food at dinner was very good and breakfast was a good size with perfectly cooked eggs. The room was large with both shower and bath. Only fault was the tired carpets in the stairway and bedroom but all areas were clean.
If you are expecting a country house hotel you might be disappointed by the development of a new housing estate in close proximity with workmen and generators etc starting up at 0730 each day! But this is not something the hotel can control.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you, for taking time to write a review. we love to read the good and the not so good, after your kind word you do indeed point out that Houses are being built, and thease are beyond our control, But the builders have worked hard to keep the noise to a minimum and we as neighbours look forward to welcoming the new occupants to the INN , as they settle in.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Forres
Ramnee Hotel
Craigellachie Hotel
Craigellachie Hotel
#1 of 1 in Craigellachie
Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Knockomie Hotel? Share your experiences!