“Newbold Zen”
Review of Newbold House

Newbold House
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My idea: Scotland, as I love its energy; retreat and pampering: to bring together spiritual and physical wellbeing; relax and definitely: nature. My search took me to Newbold House.

From the moment of my first inquiry to the planning to the stay itself I encountered care, respect and warmth. Deborah W did an amazing job of finding the perfect activities and treatments that suited me and went out of her way to even take me up to Findhorn. Really worthwhile the visit.

The food was tasty, varied and healthy. The rooms calm and cozy. The gardens, the woods around, all gorgeous places to walk in or sit down with a book. Perfect atmosphere for writing and reading and definitely for relaxation.

Everyone from the permanent residents to the volunteers, WWoofers and other guests made my stay rich in sharing and joy.

Miss you guys already and will be back. Thanks!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
newboldhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Newbold House, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Leslie - thank you for a gorgeous review. It was a pleasure to host you and hang out and eat and chat as well! Also, your work in the garden was appreciated by us all - especially our volunteers who loved your company. Go well and come back to us! xx

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I learned about Newbold House almost by accident, while searching for a place that would provide me with a couple of days of "me" time. It's safe to say, I am very glad I did.

The whole experience was great. The staff I spoke to when inquiring about and planning my stay were innately attuned to my needs and they accurately sensed what would help. They organised a great but measured programme of treatments and sessions to relax me and ease my stress levels.

From the moment I walked in the door, I could relax. The staff are welcoming and friendly but not at all in-your-face, the food was wholesome and tasty, the rooms are lovingly prepared with the little tailored collection of treats in the welcome pack a particularly kind touch.

The rooms themselves instill a sense of calm and relaxation, and if you need a wee bit of solitude and peace, they provide ample opportunity for that.

Included in my retreat package, I enjoyed a Reiki Massage with Maria Olsthoorn, a mindfulness meditation session with Lynda Benham and and EFT session with Shaun Cameron. I found all of these excellent and really worthwhile, and all very different but complementary.

The gardens and the adjacent forest were lovely tor walking around and clearing the head and if you have a car or bike, a wee run up to Findhorn Bay is highly recommended to blow away the cobwebs.

If you feel like you need some "me" time but want a gentle introduction into a more spiritual lifestyle, I cannot recommend Newbold highly enough. There's a gentle, laid-back vibe, but also and a safety and comfort about the place that really resonated with me.

Thanks to the two Deborahs and Dominic for their wonderful hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've stayed in 5* hotels, and I've stayed in retreat centres, and to my mind Newbold House combines the absolute best of both. Their attention to detail, cleanliness and loving care of both the property and the interaction with guests was faultless!

The property itself is stunning - an unusually well preserved Edwardian country house with almost all its original features beautifully intact (a rarity these days), including gorgeous moulded ceilings, stained glass windows, and the largest and best-kept walled vegetable garden I've ever seen!

Breakfast is plentiful and varied (from porridge to toast with homemade jams and marmalades, cereals, home-cooked fruits, and on the days we were there boiled eggs - although I gather this depends somewhat on the willingness of their hens to lay!).

The atmosphere here is one of great peace and tranquility, both in the house and gardens, and the members of the community who live here full time are extremely friendly and nuturing whilst running the place with great professionalism and an incredible eye for detail and beauty.

As an escapee from the city, who nevertheless has high standards, this place was an absolute gem on so many levels and I would recommend it to ANYONE looking for something more than 'just a B&B'!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
newboldhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Newbold House, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

wonderful to have you here - your contribution to the house and the community was deeply appreciated. And what a wonderful, generous review! May whatever you found here to support and nourish you, stay with you x

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Newbold House is a great place to set time aside for if you are looking for a chance to step back from the hectic pace of life and clear a space to reflect and recharge. I did a tailored retreat recently and found it to be a valuable opportunity to experience a rewarding mix of therapies, as well as to spend time to meditate and just 'sit and stare' - in comfortable surroundings inside and a lush environment outside. The folk in the house were very welcoming and there is a calm, spiritual but down to earth feel about the place. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had a wonderful time at this lovely nurturing place. It was so great to have all the therapies arranged for me and all were great - mindfulness meditation with Margot in the grounds, reflexology from Grace Pirnie, Esalen massage from Heather and an enlightening and stretching yoga lesson with Deborah Willimot. Taize singing is the best way to start the day, especially carying it down to the parlour to greet those coming for breakfast. Deborah coordinated my whole retreat also and I am so grateful to her. The staff were all wonderfully welcoming and catered for my dietary needs too. Will do it again that's for sure.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
newboldhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Newbold House, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for that lovely review - was fab chatting over breakfast with you and again, you were another wounderful person to have in the house. It makes the retreats even more of a joy (for us and the other guests!) when guests like to hang out and they are great fun. May your cup stay full! And looking forward to creating another retreat for you soon (perhaps with willow weaving this time, I did it today and it was fantastically meditative!) DW

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I came for a week while doing a workshop offsite on complementary and alternative methods to treat cancer. So, my retreat needed to balance that intensive energy work. And it was designed perfectly.This beautiful well -maintained mansion house was both calming and enriching in varied experiences. I loved the taize singing in the morning, organic yet manicured gardens with a sacred stupa for meditation. Everywhere are pieces of art and craft. My body work was the best i have ever received: Esalen massage and an indescribable combination of TReager and continuum like therapy. But ,most special were the breakfast talks with many different staff because of their devotion and integrity in living in a Mind/Body/Spirit community. i was initially shocked that our "hotel" door had no keys; not to worry no one would steal. The food was yummy at breakfast with oatmeal and all the fixins; yogurt,and later whole grain breads and sustainable greens. I came home so inspired and started composting, drinking mint tea and making my own bread, Thank you Newbold house for a "bucket list" week that I want to enjoy again. PS I biked to my whiskey distillery tour which was arranged and wonderful.(organic,too)

Room Tip: I loved the view of the front meadow as a huge pheasant visited every sunset
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
newboldhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Newbold House, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Hi Laura,
many thanks for your detailed and generous review - we loved the breakfast chats as well! A total pleasure to have you here and to know that we were able to support you in your intensive, important work.
And so glad we could facilitate the Benromach bike adventure!
Deborahx

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Newbold is the most special place to come to yourself. I did a tailored retreat because of a burnout. It replenished me truely, because the place itself is cofortable with lots of nature around. Because the people that run it are genuin and friendly and because the therapies that were offered really helped me in my proces. I have felt safe and taken care of.I couldn't think of a better place to go.
Melani

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
newboldhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Newbold House, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you Melani for your lovely feedback. Our tailored retreats aim to do just that - so it's great to hear they are working! It was a total pleasure having you amongst us - and the singing lessons were deeply appreciated!
Deborahx

Also consider these accommodations in or near Forres
The Cluny Bank Hotel
#3 of 3 in Forres
Ramnee Hotel
Ramnee Hotel
#2 of 3 in Forres

Been to Newbold House? Share your experiences!