“Great”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Have never had a bad meal or service In Here. Sandra and the staff couldn't be more helpful. The portion sizes are big but food is delicious .

Sandra P, Owner at Chapter One, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. It makes all our hard work worthwhile to have happy, satisfied customers. See you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Chapter One

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Food good, generous portions, best scallops I have eaten anywhere in the world! Staff very friendly and welcoming, have been on countless occasions and if nowhere else appeals to go then we love to come back here.

Thank you for your review. We try hard to provide good food and service to all our guests. See you again soon

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We had a fabulous meal here, there was plenty of choice. The starters were a little on the large side, the mains were all delicious and the service was welcoming and friendly. We will definitely be back.

Sandra P, Owner at Chapter One, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Thank you for your review we really do appreciate you taking the time to give us positive feedback and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

In the past I have heard amazing comments about Chapter One and recently the reviews have became a little more mixed!
We booked a table for 6pm on a Saturday night. We arrived early and had a warm welcome from the lady at the door and shown to our table. Only one other table was occupied when we arrived.
We were given menus and left to have a look. I was quite surprised at the limited menu as lots of pasta and pizza, not what I remember from looking at the menu a few months ago. We were eventually asked for a drinks order and asked if we could order food at the same time.
I ordered a Hendricks gin which when it arrived had a slice of lemon and no ice. I asked for ice and a slice of cucumber to have with the gin as this is how it would normally be served. I was amazed when the waitress told me the kitchen had no cucumber.
She soon returned to tell me the mixed grill was not available. Again I was surprised as at 6pm on a Saturday night the menu should be complete for your busiest night if the week. There was no offer to substitute one item for another and when I asked why it was off the reply was "the chef didn't tell me". A trip to the supermarket across the road could have put the dish back on the menu and the customer would not know where the items came from. I then shocked to see another table who ordered after us being given a mixed grill! I don't know why I could not have one! Our meals arrived and the were average. Neither wonderful or poor.
This restaurant has the potential to be great like it previously was if the little things were corrected.
Now I've been however I would not send friends as it has become an average restaurant. The magic and sparkle of its previous glory has been lost.

1  Thank KEVBOA
Sandra P, Owner at Chapter One, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

I am sorry to read your review and your disappointment with no cucumber for your hendrick's, I will have it removed from the drinks list to ensure no further customers have the same experience. A large table booked later in the evening had phoned on Saturday and pre-ordered with a few mixed grills, the other table were in and ordered before you.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We have been dining at and enjoying the ambiance of Chapter One since it opened. Last night my Husband and I booked for an evening meal for several reasons - we'd had a traumatic week and it was Mother's Day. We left before the food arrived and won't be rushing back.
As soon as we were seated and got the Menu we noticed it was completely different from previously - we last dined there with friends at the back end of last year. We could choose between Pasta dishes - which my husband doesn't really regard as dining out anywhere other than in a "proper" dedicated Italian Restaurant and I make lots of Pasta dishes home, or steaks. I am not a red meat lover. There was also one chicken dish, one Vegetarian and I think one fish dish - which I am allergic to. We certainly were not spoilt for choice but have never had to think so long and hard about what to have!.
A waitress brought the customary bread basket. In past visits we have had to restrain ourselves from filling up with the delicious warm, flavoured breads. This time there was a lump of cold, rock hard dough rocking in the bottom of a bare basket. I asked for a sparkling water, the Waitress had to check twice if I wanted ice or not! When it did eventually arrive she dumped the open bottle and a glass on the end of at the table with poor grace and in passing.
After 50 minutes of sitting without even a nod from the Staff, they were far from busy, I asked how long before we got our Pate Starter - not a complicated or freshly cooked dish. The Waitress seemed to go through the motions of using an intercom to contact the kitchen while admiring herself and adjusting her hair in the mirror. She also poured water from a boiled kettle on to the first of a stack of plates which I found very bizarre! Even more so when it was later dried off with a dishtowel that would be consigned to my duster bag!
Shortly after that we left - apparently our order hadn't been placed!!
I noticed a family of six sitting at a nearby table when we went in and thought they had finished their meal and were having a chat. They had actually had their Starter and were served their Mains just before we left.- evidence that we were not the only diners kept waiting. There were two steak dishes in their order both of which had a greasy looking half tomato and commercial onion rings as a vegetable - it looked thoroughly unappetising. At least we didn't miss much!
We will miss Chapter One when it goes - which I think must happen unless there are some dramatic changes.

3  Thank Margaret M

I am sorry about your bad experience at Chapter One. The bread had been freshly baked an hour before you arrived. The staff member has been made aware of her poor service and further training will be given. The other tables food you commented on was not as you described but fresh made onion rings along with roasted vegetables, tomato & mushrooms. The party were also very happy with their meals.