“worst stay I ever had at any hotel!!”

Chapel Cross Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Roslin
Landshut, Germany
“worst stay I ever had at any hotel!!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was staying at this hotel in October 2011 for 4 nights for a business trip in the area. I must say, this was my worst experience of a hotel stay ever...the arrival day was still alright, luckily I arrived in the afternoon when there was still someone around. but then it started...for breakfast you need to order your hot meal (full English/Scottish breakfast) and even though I seemed to be one of the only 2 or 3 guests staying in the hotel at the time and there was nobody around in the restaurant when I got up, they still managed to bring my toast out cold and stale.

I think the first night was still the most restful one...the next night, I was woken up around 3am by another hotel guest who was trying to get into his room. you need to keep in mind that the hotel locks the front door of the hotel for the night (and you don't have fancy electronic card keys to get in). there is a bell to ring the reception, but there is nobody at the reception during the night (even though there is a sign out front that says someone will let you in). so the other hotel guest was ringing the front door bell, a lot...and you can hear the reception bell through the whole hotel it seems, I sure did. frustrated, he started hammering the front door so strongly that the burglar alarm went off...you might have thought that the alarm may have brought some hotel employee running, but there was nobody to be seen. eventually, the alarm stopped, and the drunk hotel guest was picked up an hour later or so by some friend by car (he did not get into his room that night)...and since I didn't have a key for the front door either, there wasn't much I could do for him either.

the next night, around 4am, the fire alarm in my room went off. made me jump out of my skin, and after the sleepless night before I was rather confused. by the time I found some warm clothes to get outside, the alarm stopped. did anybody come by to check on why there was a fire alarm in the middle of the night of their hotel? no. needless to say, I didn't sleep the rest of the night anymore. when I mentioned the fire alarm to the receptionist the next morning, they just looked confused, no surprise there.

the 3rd night, I went out to visit a friend living a few hours drive away; I got back to the hotel around 10pm, only to find the front door locked up for the night. remembering the hotel guest from 2 nights ago, I got very concerned, as I didn't have any local friends to crash with. being in the other man's shoes, I quickly realized why he was so frustrated. at 10pm you could still expect someone to be sitting at the reception at least. ringing the door bell didn't help; looking through the letter hole I saw the reception was deserted. there was a phone number mentioned at the door and at the hotel front, so I rang that number, only to be connected to a voicemail. left a message pleading to be left in, nobody ever called back, not even the next day. I went to the hotel next door (which actually had a guy sitting at their reception!), hoping that they might know the owners of my hotel and they might be able to tell me where I could find them so I could ring their door bell. unfortunately, they couldn't help me. so I went running around the outside of the hotel trying to find an unlocked door to get in; no luck. then I went searching for some sort of attachment house where I was hoping to find some employees. I found some, and rang the door bell, seemed like I had woken someone up as well. at that moment the guy from the other hotel came running around the corner and told me that some other guests just got back to my hotel and they had a key for the front door...HURRAY!!

when I was finally lying in my bed I couldn't manage to fall asleep, I kept thinking that something was going to happen again, I just kept watching the fire alarm at the ceiling.

in summary, there doesn't appear to be any organization at this hotel, and nobody seems to care much for their guests.

this is the most stressfull, restless stay I ever had at any hotel ever...I would not recommend the place to anyone...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank KatharinaD85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Yorkshire
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Had a Groupon deal for a Steak dinner for two with wine. Phoned mid week to book a table for Friday evening, told they were very busy but could give us a table at 5.45pm. Arrived at 5.45pm the place was deserted,including no staff. Eventually found someonle and ordered drinks, took a table in the lounge area. Ordered starters of Goat's cheese tart with beetroot and salad and husband would have the soup, curried vegetable. Oh goodness, the tart was brick hard, could cut through it as a result the beetroot shot off the plate, now have purple marks on my light trousers!! Neither of us could eat our starters, told the waitress this but she just smiled inanely and took our plates away. Hopefully the steak dinner will be better. Were a bit perplexed that the waitress had not asked how we would like our steaks and couldn't check with her since she had yet again disappeared, was she maybe cooking the steaks! Our main course arrived on those 'sizzle' platters, steak was grey, we had ordered a creamsauce to go with it, it was like no Diane sauce I had ever seen or made! Again, no staff around so ended up going through to the kitchen area, where the waitress tried to tell me that there was nothing wrong with the sauce, oh yes, there is. She would speak to the chef. Waitress brought the slightly better sauce to us after about 7 minutes, no apology. Husband had sirloin, it was tasteless, I had rib-eye, it was awful, chewy and fatty, chips weren't cooked properly, onion rings were soggy, mushrooms hadn't even been cooked. Tomatoes were nice though! We weren't offered our wine, though given what the beer tasted like we weren't really bothered. We left at 6.50pm, leaving the £2 for the sauce on the table, the place was still deserted, no staff and no customers, I don't like being lied to, but at least having attempted to eat at this time we could go home and still make something decent to eat. We live locally so will not be returning and will certainly not be recommending this place to anyone. Not even a Groupon deal made this worthwhile so don't be tempted if it comes up again. Roslin Glen management you should be ashamed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Praa913
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Four of us went here recently for a 2 course steak dinner with wine, through a Groupon deal.
I phoned to make our reservation, and spoke to a pleasant man. I asked if it would be possible to have a soft drink or tea instead of wine, and he said that would be fine.
However, the waitress who took our order said we could not do this.. I explained I had been told we could, and was told in no uncertain terms that we couldn't and she was going to have a word with him! I wouldn't have minded so much if she had actually apologised! The Groupon voucher said we could pay extra for venison and fillet steak but they were not on the menu. The waitress said they'd stopped doing them (again, no apology). Her snippy attitude put a dampener on the whole atmosphere right from the start. We all enjoyed our starter, but the stones did not cook our steaks how we like them (really well done). Won't be going back.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MargaretJ182
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Just ate dinner, didn't stay at the hotel, but felt the food was worth the review. Ordered sirloin with chips and onion rings and they managed it perfectly. The beer batter left the prefect taste on the onion rings and the chips were crisp on the outside and soft in the middle, just as they should be. The steak came on a heatet stone so it sizzled and cooked while I ate. When it was perfect, I could move it over to a plate so as not to overdo it - very nice.

The girl who served us got a nice tip too, she was cheerful, service minded and quick.

Locations is good too, on the road to Roslin Chapel so it should get its fair share of tourists. We parked the car on the side of the road, no problem.

NEGATIVE: Nothing

POSITIVE: The food (yum!) and the service

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This was a good location to avoid the city traffic and have good access to buses into Edinburgh. The room was pretty and comfortable, but only had a bathtub and no shower. The breakfast was included in our deal and it was very good and made to order. We also had two evening meals and they were very good. The staff were great and addressed any requests we had promptly. It is within walking distance to the Roslyn Chapel which was great to see too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Leicesterhire
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Spent a night here, on Groupon deal. Was a bit put off on arrival at the lack of staff there to check us in, we had to wander round to find someone even in the "staff only" areas, but once we did we got checked in and were given a huge room with double bay windows and king sized bed which was very comfortable. The shower was a bit small, but did the job.

The whole hotel is a bit tired, and could do with an update, but as it is the warts and all was quite charming.

There was a clear lack of staff, and we were mainly assisted by Ali?, who was running around like the proverbial fly, but was always soooo helpful and jolly, and she is a treasure.

Ate in the restaurant in the evening and during the afternoon in the bar and the food was gorgeous, the chef is top notch.

Wouldn't take too much for this hotel to get 5 out of 5. If you want everything ship shape and bristol fashion then you will probably be dissapointed, but if you've an open mind and like to relax in surroundings that are a bit ecclectic then go here :-)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Made a booking back in January for an overnight stay in May, using the Groupon deal for afternoon tea, dinner, bed and breakfast. When I discovered that the Scottish Cup Final was being held on the same day I contacted the hotel to reserve a table for dinner at 19.30 for myself and for 2 non residents. This was confirmed as being ok. When we arrived at the hotel to check in at 17.45 we were told we could have dinner at 18.30 or 20.30 as they were very busy. I expalined I had reserved a table and again was told that would be fine. We went to our room, which was dismal. No wardrobe, simply a rod across the wall with a curtain across it. A mish mash of furniture, wobbly headboard, sunken bed, all absolutely dreadful. We had a wash, got changed and made our way to the hotel bar, which drastically needs a face lift. We tried to order drinks, one of which was a Baileys and the hotel had none. We therefore went across the road to the original hotel for a drink. We returned to our hotel at 19.20 for our dinner reservation at 19.30 and we were told they were very busy and could we take a seat in the bar until our table was ready. There was a party of 13 people in celebrating a 65th birthday and the hotel appeared to be struggling to cope with the numbers. We waited until 20.30 to be taken through to our dinner table. The food was reasonably okay although one of our dishes (the fish) had to be returned to the kitchen as the batter was raw. During the course of our meal we noticed that many other couples were waiting an extremely long period of time for their meals to be delivered and/or dishes cleared. Once couple had selected a bottle of wine in the bar, when we had been waiting at 20.15 and at 20.50 they were still waiting on their meals. One thing I would say is that the staff waiitng on the tables, bar etc were all very pleasant despite having to deal with quite a few irate customers. My impression was that the hotel had been let down by staffing calling off due to the football and the staff working were not their regular staff. However, the manager never made an appearance and left his/her staff to deal with the consequences. Poor management in my experience. Prior to the end of our meal the waitress asked if we were staying for breakfast and we confirmed that our "deal" included breakfast. She then told us that Groupon had made a mistake and that breakfast was not included and it cost £8.50 pp. I complained that we had not been told about this and when is there ever deals for dinner and bed??? We were then told that the manager would deal with this through Groupon and we could have breakfast included. After our meal we went across the road again to the Original for drinks and returned to our hotel to sleep.
I would seriously advise anyone wishing to stay in this hotel to visit firsta nd see excatly what you are getting for your money as I have stayed in better youth hostels than this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Footiewidow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roslin
Best Western Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel
Melville Castle
#2 of 3 in Dalkeith
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel
Travelodge Edinburgh Cameron Toll

Been to Chapel Cross Guest House? Share your experiences!