“Turned away at 12:30”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Paper Mill

The Paper Mill
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Lasswade
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Overlooking the River Esk, The Paper Mill is a newly opened all day bar and brasserie in an historic and tranquil setting. The Paper Mill is somewhere for locals and visitors alike to pop in for a morning coffee and one of our home baked cakes, Sunday brunch with the papers or an evening meal and a carafe of wine. The bar is home to an ever changing assortment of beers, handpicked from the best Scottish breweries and some premium products from further afield.
“Turned away at 12:30”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My partner and I decided to head to The Paper Mill for lunch today. When we arrived we found a very quiet restaurant, excellent we thought, we'll get a table no problem and enjoy a restaurant we've been to many times before.

This wasn't to be the case though. Apparently the chef was overloaded with orders so they wouldn't be accepting anymore covers. It looked like 5-6 tables were occupied at the very maximum.

Really disappointed by this and not something I've ever encountered before. We ended up in the laird and dog which was very busy, we got seated and enjoyed lunch.

9 Thank Apache_ML

edinburgh
“CAN'T BE BEAT - WAY AHEAD OF "THE SUN"”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Lovely food, great staff and good value. I read some of the reviews and have to wonder if some are actually for real? Paper Mill deserve to be #1 in the area and have worked really hard to get there. Every restaurant has a bad day and perhaps the moaners don't get out often. Keep bleating on about The Sun - well stay eating there! I'm surprised with the popularity of the Paper Mill you even got a reservation. These critics shant be missed.

Midlothian,Scotland
“No atmosphere, staff seem uninterested........food just ok”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

After having on several occasions turned down suggestions to visit this place for lunch in favour of The Sun Inn, Lothianbridge( my favourite!) I finally agreed to give it a try. I was going to say -probably shouldn't have bothered but actually no- I'm glad I did as now I know just how right I am to stick to my favourite. Don't get me wrong, the interior of the restaurant is lovely and if had been busy I'm sure it might have been better but it was fairly empty and well just lifeless really. There were only us (3 of us), 1 other family of four, 2 people sitting outside and that was it (apart from the staff members) It felt as though the place was closed! The young girl serving us offered no way of welcome or smile - just looked as though she was going through the motions. First problem came when they didn't have my choice of starter (now wouldn't it have been useful for the waitress to announce this when she left the menu with us) and then my husband wasn't able to have his choice of "main" as "the kitchen was out of that also". He quickly had to choose something else, but again fore warning would have been helpful (actually thinking on it now if we had been told at least 2 of our choices were off the menu then might have left so maybe that's why they don't say beforehand! Well anyway the food came - again, with not much interaction from the waitress, thought maybe she would have at least apologised for 1st choices not being available (I know it's not her fault but just good customer service - don't you think?) Food was just...well, just ok really. In my opinion that's all.......nothing special & nothing that would make me want to rush back in a hurry. I'm disappointed as I see others rate this place highly. For me....just didn't get it I'm afraid.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Felix1812
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Lovely and bright”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

What a find, great little place just outside Edinburgh, lovely to look at inside and out. Food was very good and peroni on tap too! Bliss

“My new favourite place”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Lovely surroundings, meals are fresh innovative and tasty, staff very friendly and great value for money. Nice to be able to sit out in the sun overlooking the river will definitely be back

• Visited June 2013