“Just okay.”

The Paper Mill
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Lasswade
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the River Esk, The Paper Mill is a newly opened all day bar and brasserie in an historic and tranquil setting. The Paper Mill is somewhere for locals and visitors alike to pop in for a morning coffee and one of our home baked cakes, Sunday brunch with the papers or an evening meal and a carafe of wine. The bar is home to an ever changing assortment of beers, handpicked from the best Scottish breweries and some premium products from further afield.
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
“Just okay.”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We couldn't get a table at The Sun inn on Saturday evening so decided to try the Paper Mill. The food is pretty good without being great. I can't put my finger on it but for the price, I just don't think they're quite there.

There are a few better places in the area. I'm not saying don't go. it was fine. I would go back, maybe for a light lunch but I just can't get my head round the high prices and the just ok food.

if the prices were 20-25% less then I reckon it would do quite well. Go and give it a try though, not too bad at all.

Visited September 2012

florida
“All I know”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

• David Millar
I met Chef David Millar when he was working for a 2 Michelin star bistro in London and knew immediately he would BE a STAR. Bright, humble and striving to be the best, as a retired chef myself, I knew he would take the best of this earth and transform his food to mirror his soul. And now he’s home and the keen foragers Karen and David were the smart ones with whom he will make their perfectly appointed gastro pub a DESTINATION! It worked for me! A friends’ rental flat in Edinburgh was empty and offered it to me for a quick jaunt across the pond.
I was right about the Thistly Cross Ginger Cider settling being from Florida I am not used to the hills and twists, but I had to live another day.
I always choose the duck. And I have to focus on what I know-the talent of Chef David and that he chose the right team to make revolutionary bright and fresh local food!
The signature dish is the duck encroute-emblazoned with the Paper Mill logo, and served beautifully moist and with roasted chicory+ orange sauce, with a side salad of raw dressed chicory leaves. Had to add the Wye Valley asparagus which made me think I have never really it before! I do believe I have never tasted fare where the herbs were so ALIVE with local flavor because it’s growing outside in pots!. I almost believed the oranges in the sauce were picked outside, the natural balance spot on.
The dessert I had off the menu was the Banofee trifle with the fabulous ice cream I knew was Davids’ specialty. Salted Caramel! Heaven. He has a gift.
He describes his dishes as bloody awesome, and anyone who doesn’t get how serious the team is to present just that. There is total harmony in that kitchen. The Paper Mill is NOT only unpretentious, but a perfect oasis for ANYONE whose grandmother had a garden. The River runs through it, and I will paddle my way back. I just hope the town can support the traffic! I will not tell them that EVERYONE appreciates value, and their prices are a pleasant surprise. The motto “It won’t cost the earth” In every way.
Just go. Now.
And anyone who disagrees with me will have the ghost of Wordsworth to deal with!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank wisteriainn
Scotland
“Resonable - could be much better”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Lovely looking resturant, menu very limited, could be so much more. Would also prefer to go to the Sun Inn for lunch.

• Visited March 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice lunch”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Popped in here today for a quick lunch after a day of shopping.
The restaurant is pretty clean, and staff are quite polite and friendly.
I opted for a burger while my partner tried the fish and chips.
Both dishes were fresh and tasty.
Would probably return, the afternoon tea looks appealing.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Lola H
Kitchener, Canada
“Not consistant”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our first lunch experience was fantastic and we discussed with fellow travellors to visit. The platter of Pork Belly's for 2 was a great deal and very taste. Our second experience in two days was disappointing. We suggest the serving staff needed more training on the specials as they could not describe them and miss led our expectations. Beyond the serving staff the plates severed were not comparable in quality to the 1st visit.

Atmosphere was excellent. Deserts were fine.

• Visited May 2013