“Freindly and warm welcome”

Viewbank Guest House
Ranked #2 of 6 Whiting Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We walked off thehills and into Whiting Bay tired and grumpy after a hard last few miles in fading light and growing gloom. Walking from the beach up totheguest house we started bickering and fighting. We arrived andour hosts showed us to our rooms, helped us book a restaurant, and even drove us back down thehill offering a lift back later.Their kindness and attention (as well as a great breakfast) made our stay comfortable and easy. Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Viewbank Guest House

Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed during the October holiday for two nights. I read the hotels website and had good correspondence from the owner Julie. The owner did mention the hill but no offer was forthcoming to collect guests as stated on their website. I had to hike up a very, very steep hill with a large bag and a five year old boy around very twisty and an extremely steep hill! I did explain prior to my arrival that I was disabled and the owner had given a prefab attached to the house for myself and my five year old son. The room itself was basic but with a very large bed. The cleanliness wasn't perfect ie shower panel was hanging off and cobwebs throughout. The area where the tea and coffee was made in room was dirty as we're some cups. However, the evening meal was fantastic and the host could not do enough to make sure we were happy! My son was very impressed with the chicken dippers! We retired to our to our room after a brief chat with other guests. The room was warm on arrival but the heating was switched off and it became freezing cold. My son complained and I found an old blanket which did not make much difference. I emailed the owner from my room to enquire about staying another night and she instantly replied. Breakfast was fine, not 'legendary' as stated but average and there was enough cereal, and toast to fill up on. We were told the hotel would NOT be serving an evening meal that night which other guests and I found odd because the breakfast room was full of guests and it was the October holiday!? Again, when we retired to our room the temperature dropped and again we felt very cold so much so my son woke several times during the night complaining.
On the whole this hotel is standard but ok if you're looking for cheap and cheerful. The owners were friendly but did complain about my son and two other children making too much noise at 7pm in the communal room. I and the Mother thought the owner not very child friendly so I wouldn't recommend this place for kids.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Jacqueline C
Malcolm B, Owner at Viewbank Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a very in depth review. There are several points raised which we would have welcomed you bringing up at the time of your visit. We remember several converstaions prior to the booking regarding the sleeping arrangements to accommodate a back problem which I thought we had sorted out. Other rooms were available which we offered within the guest house. Our Annexe room is seperate to the Guest House which is clearly indicated on the Website which is not a prefab. We state on the website that if requested we will endeavour to pick guests up. This was not requested and when doing evening meals is not always possible.
Regarding the children. We have to consider other guests staying and expect our home to be respected by adults and children alike. Regarding the heating. We would have certainly increased the timings for you if only we had known.
We are delighted that you and your son enjoyed your evening meal with us. As we are a small concern we try to accommodate peoples requirements. The Guest House is a total family concern and therefore it is not always possible to open every evening. The evening you are referring to when meals were not done was due to a personal matter. We informed all our guests that morning so that they were able to plan for the day.
We were under the impression that you and your son enjoyed your stay with us especially as he had made new friends.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed for nearly five weeks and had a great time. My room was small but Mal and Julie fitted a TV into the room specially which was a life-saver!
It is a great B+B and value for money which is really important in this day and age!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2012

If you want a base for Isle of Arran activities then this is the place. Most welcoming, cheerful, and helpful hosts who back up their interest in you with first class ammenities and excellent catering( you can get a great evening meal as well as a sumptious breakfast). The house is well situated for local walks as well as a base for travelling further afield on the island. Don't miss this one.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was my first vist to this Guest House and I will certainly be back. I arrived late last Thursday evening and was upgraded from my booked single room to a double room as it was free with no extra charge which was really good. Julie and Malcolm were very friendly and made me feel very welcome. Breakfast was excellent and Julie went out of her way to be up earlier than normal to cook my breakfast as I had an early business meeting. A great experience.Would highly recommend this Guest House.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2012

14 of us stayed the jubillee weekend for a family celebration.our host and hostess couldnt do enough for us,it was like staying with a favourite aunt.the rooms although small were really clean.the bed was comfortable,had a kettle in room as well as a good clock radio.the guest lounge was very nice with everything you could wish for including games,books,magazines and an excellent piano.the breakfasts were excellent,a very well set table with the family silver and the prettiest china cups and saucers.good selection served piping hot with lots of tea and toast to follow.We also had dinner on both nights and the caramalised pineapple desssert was worth the trip alone.the guest house is in a perfect location with wonderful sea views.for the money cant fault it.

Room Tip: room 3 is really nice with ensuite and sea view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Viewbank Guest House, situated overlooking Whiting Bay, has it all. An excellent evening meal, surrounded by Clapton memorabilia, can be pre booked, and the breakfast was just as good. The rooms are on the small side but this did not detract from a good nights rest.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 6 in Whiting Bay
Corrie Hotel
Corrie Hotel
#1 of 2 in Corrie

Been to Viewbank Guest House? Share your experiences!