“It doesn't take much to smile”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lochranza Hotel

Lochranza Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Lochranza B&B and Inns
Invercargill, Southland, New Zealand
“It doesn't take much to smile”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at Lochranza. Food was great, rooms were lovely and clean. Awesome location and watching the squirrels playing outside our window was a treat.
The barman with longer hair was very good at his job as was the breakfast waiter, but the other guy was dreadful. Surly, grumpy, very sloppy at his job. He let this lovely hotel down which was a real shame.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Julia L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

We only went to eat there because the good restaurant was fully booked. The guy was so rude I actually thought he was joking at first! He ignored our questions, not a single hint of a smile or any sort of welcome, just grunts. It was embarrassing!!! If the food had been reasonably priced I might have forgiven it but it was pricey and the food was regular pub grub. And over £4 for a pint of local ale. Ripoff!! Avoid at all costs!! I've never written a bad review online before but this one definitely deserved a mention.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Florence F

Travelers are raving about these Lochranza hotels

Ayr, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We are from Scotland, and have beautiful views/sunsets/seas/rivers/hills in our lives. So when we go to a beautiful place like Arran to spend our hard earned holiday savings, we are looking for a wee treat to feel special (it was Jenny's birthday). We are familiar with the rest of Arran and are very happy with it, but we had never been to the north campsite before so we wanted a change. One word - fleeced. They know campers without cars are trapped, with no food shop, no fruit, no veg, no tins of beans. We met numerous poeple who all said exactly the same thing. If I go to my sister's house for dinner she is welcome to be in a mood. If I pay London or Edinburgh prices at a remote hotel I expect the owners to at least act as if they care. The barman is probably a lovely decent chap, but he is the customer service of this business, and we are paying customers, and it is not a good experience dealing with his tone and animal grunts. Hint: their are other nearby alternatives that will make you happy, if you look a bit further.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NiceFoodyCouple
Darvel, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

Spotless comfortable rooms, incredibly peaceful and beautiful backdrop and great staff - and my thanks to all of them for a wonderful break - especially to the "grumpy, unfriendly, monosyllabic barman" (to quote an earlier reviewer) who I discovered actually has a soft, squidgy side - although others might just call it professionalism. Being there on my own with two boys and a baby, he came to my rescue as I struggled with various bags, buggies up the stairs, down the stairs, through the various fire doors etc on a few occasions.

If you are traveling with a family, do check that the restrictions to the bar / eating area etc suit your lifestyle... we are late eaters and the bar isn't geared up for that - and the midges curtailed our plan to eat outside. The hotel did accommodate us very well for our later than usual meal and I absolutely loved my venison and redcurrant pie and would recommend it to anyone, - not the best presentation I have seen (and I wouldn't change that), but the best cooked venison I have ever had and the pastry, tatties and veg were as good as I have had in a very long time - I also enjoyed that the hotel were happy to grant the boys request to eat in the family lounge area.

Agree with previous reviewers that bar prices are a tad expensive... but I was very willing to pay pretty much Dublin prices for my pint of Guinness after a day exploring. A word about exploring.... - there are no pavements and with children the blind bends are a bit scary when walking, especially with a buggy.

Breakfast was traditional, hearty and tasty. Would have liked some fruit / yoghurt. I enjoyed the grapefruit, but a banana would have been nice. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sharon G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Enjoyed staying at the Lochranza Hotel again, staff friendly and breakfast was nice! I agree that the bar food prices are a wee bit steep. Perfectly comfortable stay, would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mysteryjam
Paisley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Just returned from our fifth (I think) visit to lovely Lochranza and the delightful Lochranza Hotel.
Our front facing room, giving us a wonderful view over the bay, was spotlessly clean and comfortable and the meals were delicious (and very filling!).
Excellent value all round and a great place to enjoy a break from the hurly-burly of everyday life. Or, if you want to be a bit more active, get out walking, climbing and, if you have the legs for those hills, cycling!!
Lochranza is a beautiful spot and the hotel an excellent base for exploring the village and the island itself.
Roll on our next visit!

Room Tip: Front facing rooms have fabulous views.