“Quality Camping”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lochranza
Lochranza Caravan & Camp Site
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Tuesday 14 August, first of six venture taking the grand daughters for their first camping trip. I had seen the Lochranza Camp site a few months earlier during a walk nearby. I met the owner and talked briefly about the area, it seemed the ideal place to stay. On booking into the site, Nigel and his wife Kathy were on hand to explain everything about the site, and it's facilities. The washrooms were spotlessly clean, plenty of paper towels, hand cleanser, everywhere you looked you could see the attention to detail they both put into making this a most welcoming and enjoyable site to visit. The constant supply of hot water for the showers was a gem, and the covered dish washing area for pots and pans made life so much easier. The pitches for tents, caravans and motorhomes are laid out in a well spaced area, fresh water and electric hook ups available, and we never had the sense of being crammed in. It was a friendly atmosphere, no rowdy groups or noise, everyone seemed to respect the tranquility the surrounding mountains brought to the site. To our joy, on several of the days we saw more than one golden eagle soaring around the mountains and as you can see in the photos, the stag and accompanying deer move freely through the site and are content to stand happily for photographs. I would like to thank Nigel and Kathy for an enjoyable week which has left a very positive mark on my grand children who cannot wait to return. Another of the plus points for the site, is the campers room. A little oasis of information in a comfortable room, sofa's, armchairs, fridges, sink, kettle, microwave, all provided to give a little respite to campers needing a break from inclement weather or just to sit in a chair and have a cuppa. Adjacent to this room was the laundry. To sum it all up, if you want a place with scenery, safe for the kids, immaculately clean and warmly welcoming, then I heartily recommend the Lochranza Caravan and Camp site.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tim186575
There are newer reviews for Lochranza Caravan & Camp Site

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I write as the previous owner who was responsible for the introduction of the shower facilities. It starts with what was there before, 2 showers in what is now the Boiler House with meters that gobbled coins and left you with soap in your hair. Then there is the limitation of numbers due to the iniquitous charges on the ferry service. This limits the level of investment funds available for upgrading. Finally there is the basic construction of the facilities cabin, the cubicle partitions need solid fixings. My research, or customer feedback if you prefer, over my first couple of seasons told me that the four key requirements for camp site showers are:- the MUST be CLEAN, there should be plenty of hot water, you should not have to queue, and the site fee should include the shower. I believe I achieved the best possible shower facility within the limitations and funds I could invest and I know that Nigel and Kathy have improved on what I did.
I agree the size of cubicle is a little bit tight but some thought before you start will allow you to move at relative ease. There isn't room to have a chair or stool but I recently made a suggestion to another 'site operator' who has the same problem, but only one shower, and I will pass it on to Nigel and Kathy. It is simple but will make a significant difference if applied. My best wishes to all those returning and new visitors who come to this special place and especially to Nigel and Kathy who I know are doing great things to make it all the better. Iain

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Iain R
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I am sure that somewhere in the world there will be a campsite in a more stunning location, but I imagine you would have to travel a long,long way to find it.
The owners, Kathy and Nigel are constantly on the go keeping everything very clean and tidy. We have camped on sites where the owners cram as many tents onto the site as they can without giving thought to the campers. We had an excellent pitch with plenty of room around us. The site is also very quiet at night with no unwelcome noise. .
The facilities are really well maintained,with really hot showers, and yes possibly ,the cubicles could be a little bigger, but I would rather have 8 reasonably sized cubicles than 7 larger ones than have to queue for a shower.
We visited in Jubilee week, and I showered at various times of the day and never once had to wait.
The site is next to a Distillery, the tour is very well presented, and as I write this review I am having a glass of their Robert Burns single malt.
Our grandaughter was enthralled by the daily visits of the deer , with the stags and hinds strolling past the tent on a regular basis.
Only downside, and this will be no surprise,the midgies, but hey ho ,that is Scotland for you.
Will we return , absolutely.
P.S. Do try and book a meal at the Stag's Pavilion,excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank johnallananderson
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed here for one Saturday night in my little one-person tent during a weekend cycling tour of Arran. My welcome was friendly and helpful, the situation very quiet and scenic, and the facilities and camping ground very clean. What more could one ask? (Death to all midges, perhaps?) Overall, I thought it was an excellent place to camp.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank TheProfessor34
Reviewed May 21, 2012

i was there in 2011 with my partner and her daughter and her man took their daughter along it was her 2nd camping trip and she loved it going for a walk around the site with myself it's a great location and excellent value for money the owners are very friendly, there is also a golf course next to the site

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We have just returned from camping for a week at Lochranza. We were last there about 8 years ago. The current managers of the campsite are very helpful and friendly. They have done a lot to upgrade the facilities which we thought were excellent. If you go camping you expect the facilities to be frugal but we found everything we needed, including a good laundromat on site. Lots of hot water was much appreciated since the weather was cold and at times very wet and windy.

The new restaurant just outside the campsite was also a real bonus for us offering tasty evening meals at a reasonable price. The full English breakfast we sampled there was also very good indeed. If teh weather is not kind it is a perfect refuge. We enjoyed teh drive from Brodick to Lochranza taking care to watch fro the many red deer along teh road and also teh seals basking on rocks on the shore line.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Stay here several times a year and think it is one of the best sites in Scotland the owners are great very helpful. The showers are hot and the cubicles are average i have a trailer caravan and let me till you it's better than showering there which is really small. I have took my young son in with me and it was okay. The scenery is beautiful waking up in this location will destress
anyone. I would recommend this site to anyone and a plus is the hairdryer is free which you have to pay for in some sites.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 594ben
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lochranza
Auchrannie Resort
#4 of 5 in Lochranza
Lochranza Youth Hostel
Lochranza Youth Hostel
#2 of 3 in Lochranza

Been to Lochranza Caravan & Camp Site? Share your experiences!