“Fabulous hostel, friendly staff, great location”

Lochranza Youth Hostel
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hostel, friendly staff, great location”
Reviewed October 3, 2010

I have just spent a couple of nights at Lochranza Youth Hostel and would just like to say what a wonderful experience it was. Steve and the staff made me most welcome and were helpful and accommodating in every way. The hostel has obviously been upgraded since my last stay several years ago and it now boasts a very high standard of cleanliness, the kitchen is fully equipped and the room I stayed in was spacious with 4 bunks. The lounge areas are comfy, there's also internet access and generally there's a warm, friendly atmosphere all round. Lochranza is a quiet village in the north of Arran surrounded by some spectacular hilly scenery so if that kind of thing appeals to you, it's the perfect getaway for chilling out or getting out into the great outdoors - or both, with a good bus service runnning right outside if you want to go to the "Big Smoke" of Brodick. Thanks again to Steve and his staff for looking after myself and everyone else there and I'll be looking forward to a visit next year when the wee ferry is back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank BogsideBunny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
UK
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Lochranza Hostel is an impressive building with a bus stop just outside (very useful if you don’t have your own transport). The hostel has recently been refurbished and boasts lovely lounges and a wonderful fully-equipped kitchen. Unfortunately my stay at the hostel was soured by a rather unpleasant first impression.

My friends and I (four mid-twenties girls) arrived on the second ferry of the day and took the local bus out to Lochranza, arriving just before midday. We were surprised to find the reception doors locked with a note that check-in was from 5pm. My friend had booked over the phone and the late check-in time was not mentioned either during that call or in the confirmation e-mail. Apparently it's a standard check-in time for youth hostels in Scotland but we didn't know that and we had no warning which, for such a remote hostel, would be very useful.

Anyway, it wasn’t too much of a problem we figured, they would have a luggage room in which to store our belongings. Well, they don’t.

When we found one of the owners (or staff? Maybe the manager) we were told we could leave our backpacks in the communal lounge which as you can imagine, isn’t secure. At the same time she told us, when we mentioned making lunch, that we would have to hurry to make our food as the kitchen was going to be closed for cleaning… at about midday.

Why was the kitchen closed for cleaning at lunchtime? I don’t know. Was there a sign up in the kitchen advising this was the case? No. The sign in the kitchen said the kitchen was open all day except between 10:30pm and 7am. Of course the kitchen needs cleaned but probably midday isn't the best time for it.

Incredulous but undeterred we decided we would make lunch quickly, eat in the separate small dining area off the main kitchen area and head out for one of the many beautiful walks in the area after transferring our valuables into our daysacks. As we were starving, we’d nearly finished in fifteen minutes.

Apparently that was fifteen minutes too long as just as we were about to get up the male owner(/staff member/manager) burst through the door and, in a completely unbelievable aggressive display, demanded to know what we were still doing there as he’d been waiting to clean the kitchen and he had however many bathrooms etc to clean, didn't we know?

The female owner appeared from the other door, possibly realising that the man was being unnecessarily aggressive to a group of four women, chimed in with something along the lines of ‘when I said you could make sandwiches I meant for you to make them and then disappear’.

My friends and I by this point were incredibly uncomfortable. The male owner seemed to be a terrible mood unrelated to us and was more than happy to be rude and aggressive to us to make himself feel better. When we apologised (as we did more than once) and pointed out that the check-in time wasn’t mentioned at the time of booking the female staff member insisted it was on their website (we booked over the phone). The check-in time was also not mentioned on their confirmation e-mail.

I’m not sure if they were comfortable being so rude to us because we were four youngish women and not a big group or if they had just been having an awful morning but none of my friends or I could believe that anyone in the hospitality industry would speak to a customer that way.

We were about to head out the doors for a walk and the male owner suddenly offered to check us in, which was nice of him considering we were about 5 hours early for check-in so I suppose he realised he had been really out of line. It didn’t make up for the first impression and for the rest of our stay we stayed well out of the staff's way just in case.

In conclusion:

Arran is wonderful and Lochranza beautiful. The hostel is really nice, our room was totally spotless, the kitchen was amazing and we had a good time despite the staff who have put me off ever going back!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank BattleCat666
Wisbech Saint Mary, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Spent a weekend at the hostel which has been recently been refurbished to a good standard with comfy leather sofas downstairs and good beds.The staff are really helful Steve ,Angela and Sean and there's some good walking near to the hostel.The Lochranza hotel down the road stocks 94 whiskies and the hostel is in walking distance of the the Isle Of Arran Distillary which is young distillary makes a good whisky(Quite honey like on flavour rather than peaty)The hostel is on the bus route from the bodrick ferry and near the Lochranza ferry.I saw soem amazing sunsets when I walked to the the Lochranza Castle which is also nearby.The sheep and the deer graze very close to the hostel and make some great photographs.I would recommend this hostel as a good base for Arran and Arran itself is well worth a visit I fell in love with it and want to go back soon

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank FalmouthLucy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lochranza
Auchrannie Resort
#4 of 5 in Lochranza
Corrie Hotel
Corrie Hotel
#1 of 2 in Corrie

Been to Lochranza Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!