“Excellent venue for a wedding” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kildonan Hotel

Kildonan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Kildonan B&B and Inns
bedford
“Excellent venue for a wedding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

We travelled to this hotel for a wedding over the May bank holiday. The view as we approached from the cliff was Exquisite with the sea coming up against the hotel and the light house off on a nearby rock. The Car park area was not much but the bar, used by the locals and local campsite was welcoming and served good quality bar food. We were shown to our room on the ground floor (room 16) a suite with a communal patio. There we had a pleasant Gin & tonic in the evening sun, looking out across the bay. In the evening there was live music in the bar and a good old fashioned highland atmosphere. The bed was comfortable if a bit restrictive walking around. The suite area had a two seater settee , coffee table and large scene TV. The bathroom was sufficient but standing in the bath to shower was restrictive. The standard of the room was fine good 3star. However note that mobile phones could not get a signal.

That night we ate in the restaurant, with a grand view of the bay and the light house. Not sure where some of the other reviews were seated but the views for us were fine. Good food however the servings were on the large side. Pleasant surroundings, good food and a lovely spring sun set (Too cold to go outside however).

The next day, we got up and walked about 2 miles into the nearby village and then to the further bay. We stopped at the two waterfalls and then on the rocks to view the Seals at close quarters. We got to about 40 feet away before they worried about our presence. Some great photos.

On the Saturday afternoon, we attended the wedding. Go traditional Scottish wedding, outside in the purpose built Gazebo. The sun came out and this made for a great event. Then pictures on the lawn with the fantastic views behind. Truly a lovely place for our friends to start their married life together. Back to the restaurant for the wedding breakfast. 60+ guests and a choice of three for each course. Then delivered hot, on time and together. I have been to many large gathering before were there has been no choice and service at different times. Not here, all served together and plenty of choice, vegetarian, meat dishes, fish of course. Well done the Chilean Chef. A band in the evening from Glasgow as there is not much choice on the island. However most people would not dream of coming here for nightlife.
On the Sunday we walked up Goat Fell to work of the full Scottish Breakfasts, kippers or porridge. Again a delight.

All in all, not a fine dining venue or 5 star; but a very pleasant stay overlooking some beautiful beaches, good sunsets and a slow romantic gathering for a great wedding venue. Always made better for the couple when 60 friends and family can witness the ceremony and have a great stay at the same time. £100 a night B&B (in or view worth every penny).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

I have stayed on Arran for many years but moved away so as a birthday treat I went back to the Island and stayed at the Kildonaon hotel fortwo nights.
This really is the most senic hotel on the island and after a day in the hills it was amaizng to sit with a nice bottle of wine and look out on to Pladda and Aisle Of Craig.
The room was nicley decorated, clean and commfy beds - what more do you want.
There are two dinning options - the bar and restuarant and we dinned in both which where both amazing - Rod Im still dreaming about the Arran gold Cheesecake !!
The manager Paris was so friendly and helpfull and I cant wait to return back to the Kildonan

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

We loved our room with stunning views overlooking the sea and beaches. The room was nicely decorated and the service at the hotel was very good. The only draw back with the room was that it was over the bar area and we could hear some noise- but to be fair we it did not go on unreasonably late. When waking up in the morning to the amazing views I would not have swapped it for another one. The food in the restaurant was very good and the atomosphere enhanced in the bar by local folk singers.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

When is a suite not a suite? When it is at the Kildonan hotel on Arran!
The Travel Industry Dictionary describes a hotel suite as “An accommodation comprising more than one room; occasionally a single large room with clearly defined sleeping and sitting areas.”
Now, I have stayed in a few suites in my time, some of them better than others, but all of them met the criteria of the aforementioned definition until, that is, I stayed at the Kildonan hotel.
I had booked two suites (double and twin) at the Kildonan hotel, for two nights in April, as a treat for my mother and my Canadian cousin and her husband who were visiting Scotland and were keen to see the island. I chose the hotel for its location and after viewing its web site and reading trip advisor reviews. All in all, my stay had to rank as one of the poorest hotel experiences of my life.
Room 16 (Double suite): The Canadians had this room and they were happy with it. It was a large room with a double bed and what could certainly pass as a sitting area, with a sofa on which they could relax and watch a large, flat-screened TV on the opposite wall. It had no windows, but two glass doors at either end of the room leading on to a communal patio area (where the first thing my cousin had to do was clean up a pile of fresh dog dirt).
Room 17 (Twin suite): This room was unbearably dull and even during the day we had to have the lighting on. There was one double bed with a second, small, single bed on the other side of a dividing wall. There was no sitting area although there were two chairs either side of a serving trolley, at the foot of the single bed.
The very small television was on the wall about two feet from the bottom of the double bed, so that only the person in the double bed could view it. Not that it mattered, because the TV did not work at all when we arrived and even after the owner’s son had “fixed” it we could only get two channels in poor vision. My infirm mother spent most of her time in my cousin’s room, watching television there (inconvenient for everyone and ridiculous when one is paying for the best rooms in the house).
There were no windows in this twin room and the single glass door to the patio was behind an unstable wardrobe in the corner and offered very minimal light. It was the dullest room I have ever stayed in. The one bedside lamp at the single bed had no bulb in it and when I asked for one, a miserable 15Watt bulb was fitted.
Neither suite had a sea view, and cheaper rooms might have been better in that respect.
The web site is disingenuous. Do not expect to be able to sit on one of those sofas in the glass-walled room, with stunning sea view, depicted. That photographed lounge area was rigged up in the dining room and doesn’t exist! And that part of the dining room was not even available for breakfast.
There were other criticisms of my stay but this review is becoming too lengthy. I voiced my disappointment at check-out to one of the friendlier members of staff with whom I settled the bill (the owners were nowhere to be found).
Two nights bed and breakfast set me back £600 and I felt that I had been mugged.
I really wanted to like the Kildonan - to savour its location. I am, however, left with unhappy memories and a bitter taste in my mouth.
Had it not been for the fact that one of the two suites booked was acceptable as such, I would have given this hotel a poor rating. But I like to think that I am fair so despite my misgivings, I am rating it as average.
However, because of what I consider to be misrepresentation, I will be sending a copy of this review to our Country’s official tourist board, Visit Scotland.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ianmac
TheNewYearsDookers
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

We found the Kildonan Hotel by accident nearly four years ago, and were immediately made to feel welcome, both by the hotel owners and staff, and also by the guests at the wedding of a local couple. We knew from that night that we would have our own wedding at the Kildonan, and two years later we did. All of our family stayed at the hotel and many who can still return to visit, not only the hotel and the beautiful surroundings, but the warmth and hospitality of everyboddy there. We have visited regularly since and each time the hotel has changed a little, more recently with the additions of the balconies to the south.
We would highly recommend the Kildonan to anybody looking for a wedding venue on Arran. From the food to the decorations, to the lengths that Anne was prepared to go to make it our perfect day, we cannot thank them enough. Now we are able to go with our kids and our dogs, and know that everybody will be catered for and looked after. With the addition of wi-fi our children even bring their games consoles to play at night.
We have stayed in a number of different rooms, and having family staying over the wedding have seen almost all. Each of the rooms has it's own character, with modern comfortable furnishings, and modern clean bathrooms. The underfloor heating in room 8 (and others I presume) is especially nice!
The food has always been top class. We have eaten in many top restraunts and find the Kildonan there amongst the best!! The bar menu is also well thought out to provide hearty food when you need it most.
We have never had a bad time at the Kildonan Hotel, even the New Year 2007 when the islands power supply was knocked out by storms for two days. We cannot recommend the hotel, the staff, and the area enough. Our children have actually agreed they would rather go to the Kildonan Hotel than go to Florida for New Year!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
GLASGOW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2009

The Kildonan Hotel is is in a beautiful setting in the south of the island of Arran. When my wife & I were there last year we were given room no1. The list of faults ranged from a freezing cold bathroom ( no radiator) to black plastic bag jammed in around window frame to stop draughts. The heating cranked on all night & was off getting up in the morning I would'nt want to be stuck in there if a fire broke out as the windows were impossible to open. I hope and pray this room at the back of the hotel has been comprehensively upgraded since we were there. All in all the room was a digrace considering the hotel itself was alright. Breakfast was very good with a beautiful outlook south to "Paddys milestone". The evening meals in the bar were good value & the we ate in the reataurant one night, it was very quiet but the meal was enjoyable.
Worth a visit, just make sure your not booked into room 1 at the back above the bar.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

I've been meaning to write a review for a while, and after reading some of the nonsense by other contributors thought it was about time I did.
Yes, the carpark is best described as "rural" and if the depth of a tarmac surface is vitally important to you, then you should definitely avoid driving on Arran's roads. An Olympic sized swimming pool with spa, sauna etc etc? Nope, if you want to swim, merely walk 10 yards out of the front door....it's called the Firth of Clyde.
What you will get is a small, well run country hotel, with friendly staff that is set in a beautiful location.
We spent a long weekend hear in early March as a surprise birthday present for my husband.Our room was warm and clean, with tv, wi-fi and great views. The Scottish breakfast is a must and sets you up for the day, and the chef must be congratulated for the excellent venison which we ate later in the restaurant.
Arran is a beautiful island, and the Kidonan Hotel is set in an idyllic spot right on the beach. Visit both, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wassail
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kildonan
Auchrannie Resort
#1 of 7 in Lamlash
Burlington Hotel
Burlington Hotel
#2 of 7 in Whiting Bay

Been to Kildonan Hotel? Share your experiences!