“I'm afraid my Auchrannie experience was disappointing.”
Review of Auchrannie Resort

Auchrannie Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Brodick
Greenock, United Kingdom
“I'm afraid my Auchrannie experience was disappointing.”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My partner and I have just returned from two nights at Auchrannie Spa resort. We decided to go as friends and family have raved about it many times and we decided to try it out for ourselves. My partner works in Africa, so after a long trip at sea, we were looking forward to a classy break in the expensive spa resort. However, upon arrival we were put in room 106, which was nice, but the decor was no nicer (yet way more expensive!) than a travel inn or premier inn! My partner and I then went for a bike ride and to the gym and on return I put the shower on before stepping inside. However, it was so slippy I fell hard and seriously hurt my left leg, right arm and left upper arm. I then tried to climb out of the shower and slipped again. I managed to get out, phoned reception who listened and then, after I requested an anit-slip mat, they brought one over. The receptionist didn't even ask me how I was as I sat at the table crying in pain. The manager then phoned and came over to the room to get me to fill in an accident form. He was again, very unsympathetic and as I sat there in shock, crying, sore and upset, all I was given was an ice pack. After calming down, my partner and I were late for our dinner resevation at Brambles and my partner spoke with the manager there who promised us complimentary wine. When we arrived late for dinner (as it took me a while to get dressed as I was in shock and pain) we were given our first drink free only. The food was lovely and the service was good, but unfortunately I wasn't the best company as I was still quite shaken up. We visited both spas, and they were nice, breakfast both mornings was lovely, but I've experienced a much higher level of customer service at much cheaper hotels and spas and for this reason I won't be rushing back. The room folder with all the information was disorganised and grubby, no menu was available for room service, no shampoo and conditioner was available in the bathroom, I couldn't find the hairdryer, the pillows were too soft and you could hear EVERYTHING through the walls and above the room. I'm actually a very easily pleased customer normally, but with my fall and lack of compassion from staff, I feel let down by Auchrannie and very sad I didn't have the experience others have had.

Room Tip: Sleep on the top floor. The noise from rooms above is terrible.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juliewooly83
ArranMan, General Manager at Auchrannie Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
We are sorry to hear that your experience at Auchrannie did not match that of the majority of our guests. We work hard to ensure that every guest experience is perfect, however it would appear that on this occasion we fell short of that.

Slipping in the bath/shower was an unfortunate accident, and we can assure you that our baths are all non-slip. At the time of your accident, you were offered not only an ice pack, but we also offered first aid, and to be taken to hospital to get it checked over. As we mentioned at the time, as per Health & Safety legislation, we could not dispense any type of medication, however could allow you to purchase pain killers from our shop.

We understand that you were able to make use of the gym and swimming pool during your stay, and we hope that you were not in too much discomfort.

Because we were disappointed to hear that you would “not be rushing back to Auchrannie”, as a gesture of goodwill we have offered you an Auchrannie Voucher, which we believe you are keen to use in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We've just returned from a fantastic few days away on Arran, which is always special but the icing on the cake this time, was staying at Auchrannie - if you haven't, then you should. Great accomodation, great food and the whole Arran Adventure on your door-step. Thank You

Room Tip: View facing goat fell
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed August 8, 2011

we are currently staying in one of the executive lodges at the Auchrannie at close to £4k for two weeks you'd expect it to be good...

There are posters dotted about asking you to review the hotel on trip advisor....; so since we are over halfway through our stay and nobody has asked if everything is well here goes......

1. There is a ramp style entrance to the lodge, there is no railing so be careful with pushchairs etc. One of the paving stones on our ramp was broken and not fixed it slid away under one of my crutches.

The wifi is intermittant and slow but since it is unsecured i imagine we are not the only people using it.

The lodge looks beautiful but some how the temperature doesnt work the velux windows have to be open nearly all the time.

In the two largest bedrooms there is no window. So cooling is only possible by opening the patio doors - not good when there are children sleeping.

The double bed mattress in our lodge is very hard and the springs can be felt (sore ribs each morning)

There is a strong smell of septic tank coming from the main bathroom. Can be alleviated by leaving the fan on.

The shared family swimming pool is also a community resource and can become very crowded. Doesn't bode well if more lodges are to be built.

Cruize restaurant - can't even be bothered to describe experience.

Overall a pretty nice place but not as fine as it likes to pretend.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Rob088
RS_General_Manager, General Manager at Auchrannie Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that your experience at Auchrannie did not meet with your expectations, and that it did not match the experience of the vast majority of our Country Club rental guests and Timeshare owners.
As we prefer to deal with the relatively few guest issues at the time that they occur, our Country Club Manager telephoned you as soon as we became aware of your complaints and offered to visit the Lodge with our Maintenance Manager. However, as you did not wish to be disturbed during your stay, you refused our offer. Had you allowed us access, we may have been able to address some or all of your issues at the time of your holiday. We were however, able to fix the loose paving slab on the same afternoon.
It is always disappointing to hear that guests have encountered problems, but it is more frustrating when we are not given the opportunity to rectify them. We do hope that your experience has not deterred you from visiting Auchrannie in the future.
ayrshire scotland
Reviewed August 5, 2011

After a novelty boat trip across the Firth of Clyde you are picked up in a courtesy bus and taken to a location amongst the beautiful mountains of Arran..If you havent been to this island it is often described as "Scotland in Minature" and it is not wrong. Very secluded. Rooms are more than adequate. Loads of space, comfortable beds. Leisure facilities beyond the norm. Very large swimming pool for a hotel with relaxation chairs scattered around. You can have a coffee as a spectator at the pool cafe ! Food was very good and reasonably priced for such an establishment. Staff very helpful and friendly. Lifts for elderly and disabled and a nice wee shop for all thos things you tend to forget and gifts to take home for yourself or others. Highly recommended

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tomp246
ArranMan, Manager at Auchrannie Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thanks for the great review! We're glad you found the rooms spacious and the leisure facilities 'beyond the norm', and I'll pass on your comments about the helpful and friendly staff.

We look forward to your return visit!
York
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Just got back from a week on Arran staying at Auchrannie Spa resort with the family. The kids loved it with the new addition of the play barn keeping them busy and entertained when the weather turned a bit wet (1 day out of 7 so shouldn't complain). great relaxing break with loads of golf and walks available. Take midge repelant as you are likely to need it especialy on a hot evening. A couple of issues at Auchrannie 1.The heat in the rooms, we had a family room with 2 kids with us and it was extremely uncomfortable during the night. If you slept with the window open you were risking overnight bites from the resident midges (we ended up asking for a fan which we had running all night). 2. Keep an eye on your bill at the bar. We were overcharged a couple of times when buying rounds of drinks so worth keeping an eye on.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank YorkPup
etranger a paris
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Our stay was great: the facilities are extensive, the restaurant good, the staff very friendly and helpful. A great place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
tarbert
Reviewed July 31, 2011

back at Auchrannie on a short golfing trip with a friand ,stayed in the house hotel ,and atmosphere and customer service still top class.rooms refurbished since my last visit .ate in brambles restaurant both nights steak was superb.special mention also for the smoked haddock and poached egg for breakfast.chilled out venue well worth a visit

Room Tip: our room was slightly noisy due to pool below but hotel gave us a second room to alleviate this
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brodick
The Douglas Hotel
Kilmichael Country House Hotel
Lamlash Bay Hotel
Lamlash Bay Hotel
#1 of 7 in Lamlash

Been to Auchrannie Resort? Share your experiences!