“Overpriced and cheerless”
Review of The Glenartney

The Glenartney
Ranked #2 of 16 Brodick B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed two nights here in late April. While the room was clean and had everything I needed, it was very small, although it was classed as a double, and would have been uncomfortable with two of us. Everything was pretty basic. The staff were monosyllabic, not at all welcoming, breakfast was dull, and for this I had to pay £75 per night. One of the worst value for money stays I have ever had.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
gg'sArran, Owner at The Glenartney, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

I am very sorry this reviewer did not enjoy her stay at The Glenartney , unfortunately she did not speak to us while she was staying or upon check out so we can not now try to make her stay more enjoyable.

The guest booked a double at £82.00 via bookings.com.
Then she called me direct to say her friend had booked a single room direct with us for £62.
I explained I only have one single occupancy room , which her friend had booked and this can only be booked direct with us.

I am particularly upset by this review as I did reduce the room to £75 as a goodwill gesture but we still have to pay commission on the original price to bookings.com.

We are a three star guest house, we are not 4 star due to the size of our rooms which are cosy. We never hide this fact, just a little research on our website, bookings.com and trip advisor will highlight this! I would far prefer guests to know this before they book with us.

The reviewers group was very friendly and seemed to enjoy the lounges with the free tea, coffee and biscuits that are available for our guests. The lounge areas are perfect places to relax.

I really hope I am not monosyllabic with any of our guests but if I was I do apologise.

Our breakfast consists of cereals, porridge, toast , homemade marmalade, fresh fruit including figs, kiwi fruit, strawberries, grapes, melon and oranges. Ranges of yoghurts and a variety of locally sourced cooked food.
I do not understand how this can be bland, our breakfasts are always commented on as being excellent but were obviously unfortunately not to the reviewers taste

I am sure readers of the reviews will make a balanced judgement of The Glenartney by reading through some of our other reviews.

There are newer reviews for The Glenartney

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We had a very nice Easter holiday on Arran. The Glenartney was a perfect place to stay: friendly atmosphere, good food, bed and location. The room was not very big, but that was told on the webpage. And you don´t have to stay in your room, because the open areas inside the house and in the garden are very nice to have a cup of tee and relax.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eliisa K
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I brought my partner here for a birthday treat. We found The Glenartney very welcoming. Lovely room with super views. Breakfasts were delicious with plenty of choice, served by the ever smiling and friendly Anda. Packed Lunches and our flasks filled, we were all ready for some great days on Arran's hills.
Our Patterdale Terrier " Harry" was also made very welcome and even got her own sausage for breakfast each morning.
We would certainly recommend The Glenartney.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ailsa661
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife and I booked the Glenartney while I was working, running Prehistoric Pottery demonstrations at NTS Brodick Castle, Burning The Circle Event. We were driving up from Rothbury Northumberland so booked the last ferry from Ardrossan. To cut a long story short the ferry had engine problems and after waiting many hours, and being told we'll be sailing soon the ferry was cancelled and we had to make the crossing the following morning. I kept the owners of Glenartney informed throughout and they assured me that whatever time we finally got there, they would let us in. Even when I had to phone and say we weren't coming, they were nothing but courteous. Truly professional customer service. The room was beautiful and comfortable with a fabulous view of Arran and across to the mainland. Breakfasts were excellent and Brodick has a number of good restaurants. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Can't remember the number but I think many have sea views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Graham T
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This place is slightly up a hill and the views even from our ground floor room were stunning. We could see out across the sea, Brodick Castle and Goat Fell. We were greeted by smiling staff and in our room was doggy bags and treats for our dog and in the morning our dog was given two sausages for breakfast. Immediately outside the Glenartney is a road which leads to a track which can be walked to the next town of Lamlash approximately 3 and half miles. The Glenartney is very conscious of the environment and leaving as little footprint as possible. The lounge was homely and comfortable and all was very clean.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Travelled with our Mum to visit Arran and see our old family home. The Glenartney was lovely, we had 2 rooms on the ground floor, both really comfortable. The lounge was very homely and we sat there both evenings and had a drink from the wee bar before going out for dinner. Good breakfast and we watched the birds in the garden as we ate. Great location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This B&B exceeded our expectations. I was decorated nicely yet still "homey", and was very clean. It actually felt like we were staying at someone's upscale home without imposing on them.

We needed a family room since my wife and I had our son with us, and the room we were given had a bunk-bed in addition to the queen bed but it was large enough so we didn't feel cramped. Lucky for us it also has a great view of Goatfell mountain.

There are plenty of hang-out areas like the front patio and the bar/living room, again we felt at home and could really relax. A plus is that the other guests we encountered were more interested in mingling and having a conversation rather than holing themselves up in their room watching T.V.

Breakfast was a choice of the full Scottish fry or light continental (or both), and delicious.

We encountered only one minor problem - and it had nothing to do with the B&B itself. We were on foot (by choice) and the distance from the ferry to the Glenartrney is long enough to warrant taking a taxi (bus service is infrequent) if you're carrying luggage. This wasn't an issue until the last day when we needed to catch the early ferry and it was raining, but we couldn't find any taxis to come to the B&B. Perhaps the landlords could make arrangements with a local taxi to be on alert for guests who may need transportation between the B&B and the ferry.

Overall, a wonderful place to stay. We'll be back to Arran one day and we know where we'll be staying.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brodick
Auchrannie Resort
#6 of 16 in Brodick
Corrie Hotel
Corrie Hotel
#1 of 2 in Corrie

Been to The Glenartney? Share your experiences!