“Huge portions - watch out!”
Review of Hooked & Cooked

Hooked & Cooked
Ranked #13 of 25 Restaurants in Brodick
Cuisines: British
Description: Fish & Chip shop Isle of Arran. The islanders' choice.
Description: Fish & Chip shop Isle of Arran. The islanders' choice.
Fife
“Huge portions - watch out!”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The first night treat for our holiday is always fish and chips and our visit to Arran was no exception.
Food was cooked to order, lovely and hot, very tasty. Beware though that the portions are HUGE, ordered cod and chips for my husband and I and costly but 2 huge pieces of fish with loads of chips. One son had sausage and chips, normally a portion is 2 small sausages or one large but this was 2 large. Other son had burger and couldn't finish it all. I would recommend ordering less eg 1 fish supper and 1 chips so that you can share the fish.
The batter was nice and crispy and the chips were the best we have had in a long time. The staff were firendly and chatty.
The only negative was that they kept forgetting the order - could do with writing it down or something?

1 Thank PartTimer33

• Hungarian first
Meltham, United Kingdom
“At last! Great Fish and Chips on Arran”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

You would think that being on a Scottish Island there would be good fish and chips. This has not been the case until recently. Wow! what a change; the new owners are now providing the best fish and chips we have had in ages. Lovely crispy batter on perfect haddock or cod. Chips freshly cooked and actually taste of potato. Strongly recommended!. Good luck to new owners.

1 Thank George P
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average food!”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I ordered my food, the girl behind the counter was too busy to listen properly to the order & got it wrong! Fish was tasty but the so called chips were more like small crisps. Curry sauce was very watery! I live on the Island but won't go back in a hurry!

1 Thank Hunjo
, Owner at Hooked & Cooked, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Hello.

I’m sorry to see that you didn't enjoy your recent visit to us at Hooked and Cooked of Arran.

As you may be aware, we are very new to the Take Away industry and are trying really hard to make sure that our products and service are exemplary at all times. As such, we welcome your feedback and constructive criticism. Of course, it isn't always possible to get it right all the time and it would appear that we fell short of your expectations on this occasion. For this we are truly sorry and whole heartedly apologise.

I would very much like to know when you visited the shop. We have had a new lady on a trial day and I wonder if this was the situation you described? I can assure you that our staff are trained to treat each and every customer with the great attention and interest and I’m sorry that wasn’t the case on this visit. With reference to the curry sauce, I thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have taken the liberty of speaking with my business partner and staff member to ensure that the curry sauce is now always of a thicker consistency.

If you would like to provide me with your contact details (postal or email), I would be very pleased to send a voucher to you as a token of our apologies and in the hope that you will visit us again to see the differences first hand.

Island trade is very difficult at the best of times and we are gradually building a strong local following which we hope will support us through the long winter. Your custom is extremely important to us and we would be delighted if you chose to take us up on the offer of a voucher and provide us with the chance to show you our usual high standards.

Kindest Regards

Dave Nicholson
Owner
scotland
“Geting better all the time”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I live on Arran and have had a carry out x3 from here, last nights was the best ever, nice crisp batter on the fish, chips were crunchy too a hugh improvement from the last time we tried it.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Best Fish n Chips”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Visited Hooked & Cooked last night, it was quite busy so had to wait a wee while but it was worth it, we all agreed they were the best fish n chips we have eaten in a long while! We were served by 2 very happy chatty lads - Keep up the good work, we will definitely be back for more!

• Visited June 2012