“The best reason for travelling to Arran is to stay at this hotel”

and 1 more site!
Kilmichael Country House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Brodick
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Kilmichael; I cannot recall my wife and I feeling so relaxed in a hotel. This was particularly significant as we experienced very wet weather on the island and we spent more time in the hotel than we would have otherwise done.
Helen escorted us to our room; we arrived early..1pm..as the rain was torrential. We felt as though we had arrived in an oasis of calm. Real thought and sensitivity had gone into the rooms. We had everything we wanted and none of the things we didnt want.There were books, baskets of fruit, maps,Arran soapsetc in the bathroom.
Dinner was sensational every night. Drinks were taken in the infomal surroundings of the owners drawing room with a roaring fire and heaving bookcases for company.
What can I say about the food? Why this place is not in the good food guide I cannot imagine. Local fresh fish and meat..unpretentious but wonderfully stylish cooking and everyday something you ate which left you almost speechless with admiration.
For breakfast, I had the best scrambled eggs and smoked salmon I have ever eaten.. complete with hot buttered toast made with one of the unusual home baked breads we were offered at every meal.All served by attentive staff and particularly the delightful Anna.
The hotel is in a very quiet corner of Arran, The proprietors are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.. we cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank familybirkett
There are newer reviews for Kilmichael Country House Hotel

Reviewed August 22, 2009

Having spent one night camping at the Kildonnan Camp Site we spent our second night at the Kilmichael.

The staff were gay-friendly and made us feel welcome. Unfortunately, dinner wasn't available that night and we took the early ferry back to the mainland the next morning, so we didn't have a chance to try the breakfast (though were given a voucher for breakfast on the ferry).

But enjoyed the restaurant recommendation by the Kilmichael: The Wine Port.

I particularly enjoyed the small touches: the shortbread and wee dram in the room as well as leafing throught the magazines in the drawing rooms.

I felt it was expensive (but knew that before booking) and would definately come back.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mcjet
Reviewed July 2, 2009

My wife and I came over for a long weekend in April, staying in the Forest room.

This was our first time staying at the Kilmichael and we would definitely go back. We really felt that we were staying in a country house rather than a hotel. The small size and the friendly owners and staff made it a memorable visit, and the furniture arrangements in the 2 drawing rooms made it very easy to get chatting with the other guests.

Our bedroom was excellent, plenty of space and a comfy bed. The bathroom was fine, but a little bit "tired" - although I had guessed this from the photo on the website!

The breakfasts and dinners were also great.

As a scientist the connection with Lord Kelvin was a small bonus!

2  Thank AJGC
Kilmichael, Owner at Kilmichael Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2009

Thank you for your kind comments. We were particularly pleased that you enjoyed the connection with Lord Kelvin!

Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed here overnight at the start of the Kilmichael's season. As a lifelong Arran visitor, I've heard only wonderful things about the food and was delighted to experience it for myself. The meal we were served was sublime- and most of it sourced from the owners' pottager, stock of chickens and other fowl and the Island as a whole. I would have paid much more for this meal in the West End of Glasgow and felt the £42 pp was excellent value for 4 courses plus canapes and petit fours.
I also appreciated my sweet little birthday cake and sparkler that was served between my main and desert!
I can understand some of the frustration others have expressed at the small selection on the menu, but for the size of the establishment and considering the impeccable quality of the food, I do think it is rather ungracious to complain. My husband enjoyed his meal immensely but for him the highlight of the stay was breakfast; He was also impressed at the selection of malts on offer.
Our accommodation had a lovely ambiance and sense of tranquility, and I felt incredibly relaxed as soon as we checked in. One comment I would make, and it is a bit pernickity, is that the giant plastic kettle and phone didn't really fit with the rest of the tasteful and more antique decor. Oh, and one other thing, the tone of the information about the wrangle over the STB grading was difficult to gauge, seeming a little bit agressive. I don't know if it really reflects how lovely the staff we met were- Carol, who was very knowledgable and really seemed to take time to welcome us, to one of the owners (can't remember who, sorry) who chatted away to us in the drawing room and also the pleasant waitress who attended to us at our meal.
My husband and I plan to return, for longer next time, and would reccomend the Kilmichael as the best place to stay on Arran for couples or friends looking for tranquil surroundings (no children under 12!) and exquisite food.

2  Thank GlasgowLovelife
Kilmichael, Owner at Kilmichael Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2009

Thank you very much for your positive review and helpful suggestions.

Reviewed June 1, 2009

Booked this short break to try and escape from all the stresses of moving house and was cautious about what we would find after reading some slightly indifferent reviews about the accomodation. THEY WERE WRONG! This is a wonderful hotel run by superb owners and excellent employees. Our stay was wonderful and only ruined by having to leave. The food is superb and sevice just as good. If you want a sterile hotel with buffet food and whitewashed walls where portion control is more important than quality do not stay here, however if you would like to be treated as though your custom is appreciated from the minute you book until the time you leave please consider staying here. We were very impressed and would be delighted to return, the hotel is a perfect example of how good you can be made to feel given good service in beautiful surroundings. We loved it.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank garethandjeanette
Kilmichael, owner at Kilmichael Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2009

Thank you so much for your very kind and generous report. We look forward to welcoming you back some time.

Reviewed May 10, 2009

We had a lovely room but it was small , and the shortbread and whisky did not I am afraid make up for the small bathroom, the shower in the bath and the tiny TV.
The view was of the opposite room and a very tired garden. It was April so they had winter to spruce up the fencing chairs etc.
I feel we paid over the odds, I had a great time on Arran fabulous Island but the stay was somewaht spoiled by the feeling we were paying way to much for the hotel.
The breakfast that every raves about again was ok ,but ( scrambled egg was poor.) I would not rave about it.
Did love the lemon curd though .

1  Thank Sestu
Kilmichael, owner at Kilmichael Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2009

There are two sides to every tale, aren't there? The view from the room (across a small garden with a pergola covered in wisteria) is of the stone-built cottage occupied by the reviewer's sister on a self-catering basis for a week. The sister had this at a bargain rate - less than half the standard charge for similar accommodation at our nearest competitor. And this, we think, is at the heart of the matter. The reviewer's room was also less expensive than the standard rate at the similar establishment but was in the hotel and so was necessarily charged for at a serviced rate for the two days she occupied it - though at 2008 prices!

The comment on the scrambled egg is puzzling. Made freshly to order, with our own free range eggs and fresh Arran cream, they are inevitably different from what she may have found on a buffet in the cheaper hotels she may be used to, but any guest has only to ask and we are happy to prepare dishes more suited to personal tastes.

In one of her postings for another hotel the reviewer complained of noise. It seems to have slipped her mind that when she returned at half past one in the morning, she did so very noisily, with no consideration for the disturbance she was causing to other guests, who all complained to us about it next day.

We work very hard - and for long hours - to make guests feel both comfortable and welcome here. The intellligent way to deal with problems is to discuss them at the time, when something can be done to put matters right. But some people carry baggage with them, which has nothing to do with us. This guest admitted to the duty manager, 'My husband says I'm never happy unless I'm complaining'. Apparently so. And sibling rivalry can express itself in many strange ways.

Still, she did concede that her room was 'lovely', and that she did 'love the lemon curd though' (also made with our free-range eggs) so clearly we did something right.

Do be sure to read the review entitled 'Superb Stay in a Lovely Place', also submitted in April.

Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed for only one night, using Arran as a "stepping stone" whilst travelling home from Kintyre to England - but we wished we could have stayed much longer, and will certainly be back. A fascinating building, with lovely sitting and drawing rooms and interesting antiques, and a warm welcome from the staff. Our bedroom had a four poster bed and jaccuzzi bath, plus a small decanter of Arran whisky and complimentary fruit. We did not sample dinner, as the dining room was full ( a wedding party ) and we'd been advised that whilst they could squeeze us in, we may prefer to eat elsewhere (...most other places would have been happy to take our money and make us put up with slow service) - so when we arrived, they had booked a table for us at a restaurant in Brodick. The breakfast was excellent and the dining room was lovely - it made us wish that we had eaten there the night before !

1  Thank JC290660
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brodick
Auchrannie Resort
#1 of 2 in Corrie
Lamlash Bay Hotel
Lamlash Bay Hotel
#1 of 7 in Lamlash

Been to Kilmichael Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!