“great food - pleasant but over formal staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Douglas Hotel Bistro

The Douglas Hotel Bistro
Ranked #7 of 25 Restaurants in Brodick
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Scottish
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: With its rustic-chic style, The Douglas Bistro has a refreshing simplicity but a serious intent.The cuisine is honest and straightforward in style, bold and hearty in flavour. No fussy preparation or pretentious artistry, just thoughtful and skillful use of good quality produce. The menus are seasonally driven and make use of home-grown or locally-sourced ingredients, with a contemporary twist on flavoursome classics.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“great food - pleasant but over formal staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

Staff were too stiff - lighten up guys and girls! However, food was very good. Soups were great - very hot and lovely homemade bread. Venison delicious, as was haddock. Sweets - yummy!

Visited August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
“Need a mortgage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

only down point the prices 1 pint of lager and 1 morgans and a coke £7.55 A wee bit expensive but lovely hotel

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Alistair C
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great food but not for us”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

We took my grandparents out for dinner to The Douglas Hotel for dinner while they were staying with us in Arran. Knowing it had been recently redone, we wanted to try it out. We ate off the restricted choice menu which offered 3 choices for each course. I began with the mackerel pate, others had either the same or the mushroom & chorizo soup. Both of these went down well with everyone although apparently the soup could have been a main course itself! For the main 4 of us had chicken and the other 2 sea bass. The chicken, with asparagus and parsnip mashed potato, was fantastic and my uncle said the sea bass was the best he'd had in a long time. Unfortunately my dad had a long wait for his side order - when he asked the waitress it turned out it had never been ordered.

We would have had a lovely meal, had it not been for the noise from the bar. Our table was directly alongside the bar and on a Saturday night the noise from there was really disruptive to our meal - had I been with friends it wouldn't have bothered me but it really wasn't the setting for a family meal out. The bistro is beautiful and the noise from the bar just seemed very out of place. It was a real shame as the fact we couldn't really hear each other talk impacted on our decision to stay for coffee and desert (we didnt)

1 Thank CMA165
UK
“Food not good”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

It looks stylish, but the food was very below standard. The main dish had no flavour, the waitress couldn't let me know what it was like so said she come back and ask for my opinion on it - but didn't, I think they knew. The pudding I left.

• Visited July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank boWatson
“No fish at the inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

Took my family here last Monday (28/7) for a meal before my son boarded the late ferry after a days golfing .The only thing that appeared to be on the menu was burgers of one form or another as our preferred fish dishes were off.Nothing wrong with the food I would hasten to say but very little choice .The waiting staff appeared to be quite uninvolved although they were all very young and could I think do with a bit of basic training --- overall could do better

• 3 of 5 bubbles