1,036 results
All reviewsferry terminalhuge bathroomhigh standardbistro restaurantfirst classbeautiful hotelbrodick bayhomemade shortbreadduckbar menuboutique hotelgoatexecutive roomsea viewarran aromatics toiletriesspent two nightsisle of arran
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had our wedding reception here in June this year and would highly recommend it as a venue for any occasion.

It was everything we expected and more. The staff were extremely helpful from the moment we arrived to when we left and a special mention must go to the hard work and patience of Jim and Ailsa, dealing with our persistent questions and demands!

They couldn't have been more accommodating to our every need, and their own suggestions for the layout, timings etc. was brilliant, made us both feel very relaxed on the day.

Most of our family stayed in the hotel over the weekend and everyone commented on how amazing the rooms are, if you like spacious rooms with great views then this is the place.

It also has to be said that the food was excellent, kudos to Greg and his team for producing 80 covers of top notch food with a great choice on offer.

we are frequent visitors to Arran and would recommend the island as a wedding setting - our guests have already made plans to go back - they've caught the arran bug!

Jamie and Rosie

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a hotel worth travelling for. The room was lovely, very spacious with Arran Aromatics toiletries (they produce toiletries for Mal Maisson). Coffee making facilities were topped off with shortbread. The bed was divine.

In terms of food the Douglas is streets ahead of most restaurants and hotels in the West of Scotland: indeed having dined at The Ritz and The Ivy, I can safely say that The Douglas is 'up there'. Each dish was well-conceived without pretence. Taste was all.

We came here for a romantic break after a fraught couple of months and The Douglas certainly delivered.

We WILL be back and I can't wait until we are.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The Douglas, Hotel • Bistro • Bar is a refreshing change to some other West Coast hotels we've stayed in. Modern, bright, airy and very friendly, we are looking forward to returning later this year. Plenty of easy parking and good views make it particularly desirable too.

The breakfasts were excellent, some of the best we've experienced. Wide choice, well cooked and served by pleasant young staff.

We booked a dinner package for two nights. The food was fine though I thought the presentation could be improved - my wife said I was just nitpicking.

Disappointed in the bar as during our stay the room was laid out in rows of tables seating 10-20 people with only a couple of single tables. Surely not normal? The plush leather window seats were bagged very early in the evening for the duration! And who wouldn't. There didn't seem to be a residents bar/room but we didn't try hard to find one!

Our first floor, harbour facing corner room was excellent. Beautifully furnished, brightly lit and the bed was soooo comfortable. Bathroom was 'modern homes' standard. ( I did wonder if the rooms above the terrace might be noisy especially on hot summer evenings).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stuart B
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My Wife, Daughter & Myself spent two nights on a midweek break. Dinner, bed & Breakfast. The rooms were beautifully decorated & exceptionally comfortable, with tea/coffee & home made shortbread provided as was a bottle of water every day. The bathrooms were spacious and an added touch was the provision of toiletries by 'Arran Aromatics'. The breakfasts were wonderful and we were spoiled for choice. Dinner was something we all looked forward to each evening, again spoiled for choice. we all had a different dish each evening and all were exceptional. I couldn't do a review without mentioning the staff, who were without exception brilliant, so helpful and very professional. without W an asset to 'The Douglas. We look forward to the time when we can return to this 'Gem of a Hotel'.

Room Tip: If you can get a room at the front of the hotel,, the view over Brodick bay is wonderful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 598robertg
Reviewed July 17, 2013

It was very comfortable. The bed enormous. Unfortunately my room looked over the terrace and I couldn't sleep for the noise. At breakfast, I wasn't given a pot of coffee so had to keep asking each time I wanted topped up which eventually became embarrassing and finally,I took my coffee outside to the terrace to look at the view, only to feel very uncomfortable as a staff member scraped tables, moved furniture, cleaned debris from the night before, around me. First class accommodation. Little class customer care and standards of service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the back!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo