“absolute perfection” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Douglas Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Brodick
“absolute perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Staff could not of been anymore attentive and could not make their guests feel anymore welcome and that is all staff. The rooms are gorgeous, absolute luxury with an incredible view. Food delicious and the same very high standard as everything else the hotel offers. Just when I thought it could not get any better, we are treated to live music from 3 people with the most beautiful voices ever. Then to end the night a piper arrives to surprise us all. I cannot think of any hotel where I have been so in awe of their attention to every single little detail, even right down to a welcome letter with your name on it when you enter your room, such a personal touch. Cannot wait to stay again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Ardrossan,Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from an overnight stay at The Douglas, which she booked via one of those "Special Offer" websites, so in value for money terms, we got an incredible deal. We had a lovely room in a new part of the building, which although not sea-facing, was so nice that it really didn't matter. The bed was huge (two singles zipped together, I think), comfy and with excellent pillows. The bathroom was spotless, high quality and very contemporary. The offer included a bottle of prosecco, which was chilling nicely when we arrived. My wife's only negative comment on the otherwise wonderful room, was that some coat hooks on the back of the door would have been welcome for our outdoor clothing. The food in the Bistro was of a high quality and the staff were very pleasant, with the atmosphere being less formal than elsewhere, so it was possible to have a bit of banter with them. I'd be struggling to come up with any real negatives, and I wouldn't want to detract from a brilliant stay - but if pushed, I'd say there's room for improvement in one area, the breakfast: another reviewer felt that the breakfast was not as good as other aspects of the hotel. I agree- but I do recognise that this may be a matter of personal preference, as other reviewers have raved about the breakfast. My single link sausage looked lonely on the plate; there was an absence of square sausage,black pudding, and tattie scone ( this is Scotland after all) and if you're going to serve streaky bacon, at least make sure it's crispy. As I said, this might say more about my eating preferences than about the hotel, and the breakfast was beautifully fresh and well presented. I last stayed in The Douglas 15 years ago, and it's fair to say that the current Douglas is infinitely superior in every way from its predecessor. Brilliant hotel, friendly staff, wonderful location. We will be back.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Used an 'itison voucher' & what a wonderful time we had! Hotel is gorgeous & a 2-min walk from ferry! Room was a decent size & even consisted of a regular sized hair dryer! I cannot cope with the tiny travel dryers that I usually find in hotel rooms! Enjoyed a cheeseboard mid afternoon in the bar after a rather long walk to Brodick Castle! Decided to make a dinner reservation after seeing the menu & was not disappointed! I finished my butternutsquash risotto before my other half finished his pollock & chips - that NEVER happens! I also opted for dessert - creme brûlée was delicious. It should have came with cookies, but as I am gluten-free these were substituted with some lovely ice cream & fresh fruits. The wine flowed & the cocktails were fantastic - strawberry daiquiri (as someone has already mentioned) is out of this world! A 3-course breakfast was had by the bf & he loved every minute of it! Cooked breakfasts were very well received & were definitely a step-up from the usual presentation of a fry-up - compliments to the kitchen! Overall, a great stay was had with great service from all the staff. Next time I head to Arran, it'll be The Douglas Hotel I'll stay at!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LadyLuxe7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with my 3 kids ( all under 6 yrs!). The room was a great size for us all and the staff really made us feel as relaxed as you can be with 3 noisy kids in the bar and bistro. Only the wet weather disappointed us on this short break.
Only thought would be if they could make it more child friendly by adding toys/ books library ....

1 Thank PDilson
ElaineCampbell, Manager at The Douglas Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear PDILSON,
Thank you very much for your review - the weather was certainly awful during your trip.

We are really glad that you enjoyed your break, despite the rain - your 3 well behaved children certainly seemed to :-) Arran is a great place for familiies, isn't it?

We will look into your suggestion of toys/books for children, and thank you again for your comments.

Yours Sincerely,
Elaine Campbell
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here recently with an 'itison' voucher deal. Very modern hotel, with lovely fresh decor throughout. The bedrooms are a great size and are also very modern and clean. The beds are very, very comfy! We ate in the bar on one of the nights and the food was delicious. Excellent friendly service from all staff. Hotel has a great location as it is just opposite the ferry terminal!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Stopped her with my wife for a bite to eat... I thought it was a bit posh for me but boy was wrong, the building is stunning along with the food and the staff are so helpful, and massive thumbs up, did not try the rooms but will definitely try booking here soon

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Me & my partner stayed here from the 11th - 13th February having purchased an itison deal for his Christmas. We were definitely not disappointed! We have previously stayed here in the Auchrannie resort which was not a patch on the Douglas Hotel! Once u come off the ferry it is directly in front of you. We took the car which was probably not needed... We were greeted as soon as we entered and got on very well with the lady on the front desk she was lovely! We got upgraded to a suite (202) we were over the moon with the hotel and our room! Couldn't believe it, it was spectacular! The room was massive, modern, spotless, tastefully decorated and we had a massive outdoor terrace were we had a great view! Take a look at my pics.

Food - first night we ate in the bistro I has mussels & the chicken and haggis. Service from staff was spot on! Food was amazing definitely to a 5* standard.

Breakfast- well what can we say the exact same! The breakfast was served promptly, same staff boy and girl from night before who were so helpful to us and chatted away! The traditional breakfast was the best!

On our last night we ate in the bar which was to the exact same standard! Impeccable my partner had a cheeseburger and I had the roast beef baguette it was lovely and the bar man was lovely too! Making me nice strawberry daqs! Please don't listen to the people on this saying staff aren't trained properly ect! Never heard such nonsience in my life!

Rooms were cleaned to a high standard, everyday. Loads of nice big fluffy towels too.

You will not be dissapointed! Hotel manager was a lovely guy too talking away to us all staff made us feel at home and I will definitely recommend the Douglas to all friends & family. I will be back in the summer too! Thankyou very much for such a lovely mini break! Be back soon!

Tips - Upgrade to a suite well worth it! (202) is the best!

Don't take ur car cheaper to rent on the island.

Visit Janies tearoom (next to Arran aromatics) lovely soup and baked potatoes.

Hotel food is 5* definitely eat here!

No need to bring hairdryer

Free wifi

1 Thank Carla G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brodick
Auchrannie Resort
#2 of 19 in Brodick
Ormidale Hotel
Ormidale Hotel
#4 of 19 in Brodick

Been to The Douglas Hotel? Share your experiences!