“Food with a view”

Arran on a Plate
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Modern restaurant serving the very best of Arran's top quality produce, including island cheeses, lamb, fresh fruit & vegetables, ice cream, ales and whisky.
Ayr, United Kingdom
“Food with a view”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Sat outside and enjoyed a generous portion of fish and chips and an Arran cheese board in the sunshine. Good service from friendly staff. Views of the island as well.

Visited June 2014

“tasty”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

2nd time we visit for dinner.
very good food, welcoming friendly& professional waitress, good prices.

Visited May 2014
Udine, Italy
“Good restaurant”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We liked the view and the food was by and large good.A selection of local food and classic dishes like fish and chips, lamb dishes and salmon.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank silvie70
Berkhamsted, England, United Kingdom
“Great food & lovely service”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant was very quiet, but the food did not disappoint; we are a family of 5 and everybody was very happy with their food.

• Visited May 2014
Motherwell
“WHAT HAPPENED?!”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

My last jaunt on Arran we came here and loved it. Our second time was devestating, made even worse because of how good it was the first time!
I need to say we did visit out of season so I do not blame the restaurant for being quiet. I would say that maybe they could play music so at least it wasnt just uncomfortable silence in such a big room,all we could hear was the telly/radio in the kitchen.
These kinds of things do not matter to me when reviewing a restaurant as much as the food. When my venison steak (requested blue) turned up grey, nuked to oblivion and still searing hot from being launched straight from the pan (no resting) onto a plate with flacid veg and a sauce that was just jam watered down it just pushed all my buttons and put me in a huff. And its hardly chump change you are paying here. Once the huff had set in the girlfriend put her foot down and said I wasnt to complain in fear I would go off in one.
It's always sad when a good restaurant goes a bit awry. I hope this was a bad day but I sadly doubt it.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank JDougl
Arran_Ambassador, Owner at Arran on a Plate, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Well JDougl, what a disappointment! Like you I wanted to find out what happened to your venison steak and have now spoken with all ten of our staff. Not one of us has ever been asked for a blue venison steak. No one in the kitchen has cooked a venison steak blue. So I can only conclude that your instructions were misinterpreted, for which I am truly sorry.
We satisfy getting on for 100 customers a day during the summer, but inevitably, on occasion, we get something wrong. This is why we make a point of asking everyone if everything is alright with their meal On the rare occasion it's not, we rectify it. What a shame therefore that you did not tell us at the time. It would have taken only a few minutes to cook you another steak.