“Best on island”

eighteen69
Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Brodick
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: eighteen69 is Auchrannie’s Scottish tapas restaurant serving a wide range of small plates in a relaxed, informal environment. The restaurant is located in the glasshouse and lounges of the Country House Hotel. Customers are encouraged to choose and share a selection of small dishes from the extensive menu. As well as being open for dinner, guests can enjoy a wide range of speciality cocktails, wines, spirits and beers – making eighteen69 the perfect venue for either a full meal or just a drink and some nibbles.
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I cant rate this place highly enough - I can sometimes be sceptical about restaurants in hotels but this blows that argument to bits- Very very well considered Scottish tapas from a chef and team who obviously have a palate and an eye for seasonality and local produce . Very well priced with exceptionally generous portion sizes too. My 6 year old son also tried his first whitebait there ( which he loved! ) Top end city centre food was greatly enjoyed by all . Highly reccomended

RS_General_Manager, Manager at eighteen69, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Many thanks for your great review; I'll pass on your comments to the team, and we look forward to seeing you again next time you're visiting Arran.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed at Auchrannie for 3 nights, prior to spending a fortnight in the Highlands self catering as we wanted to fish and walk.Eighteen 69 is a fantastic Scottish Tapas restuarant and is situated in the older Country House hotel acroos the way from the more modern Hotel and Spa.

The food was wonderful and it is an idea to book in advance so you get the time you wish to dine .Service was super quick and a good idea is to print of the menu from the internet so you can decide in advance what you wish to have .It was a lovely informal atmosphere and very reasonably priced .

My husband and myself tried the Rustic Homemade bread board with Arran Cheese/Mustard, the Haggis Boubles,whole King Prawns and baked flat cap mushrooms .Everything was delicious.Probally best to order less if you have had lunch as you can always order more when the waitress arrives.

We will certainly try eighteen again next year, probally twice as we are going to Auchrannie to stay pre and post our visit to the Highlands before returning back home to the Isle of Man

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

The food here was excellent when me and my buddies came across from the US, for golf. We loved the Scottish twist, and the decor with the hunting equipment was awesome!

The service was a lil' shabby at points but we put it down to the busy restaraunt.

We would surely return!

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Make sure you book to avoid disappointment! This restaurant is closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

You will be advises to have 3 or 4 dishes each. We had 4 each and it was too much. The menu does say that you can pick dishes and then maybe order more later. Make sure you follow that advice or your table will be overflowing with food leaving little or no room for plates or glasses. Spacing out your ordering will also allow you time to digest the mammoth portions. It may be billed as tapas (and to an extent it is) but the portion sizes are not those you will find at your local tapas bar but maybe that's because it's Scottish tapas?

The only downside was the service. The restaurant wasn't full but at no point was I offered another drink and when I did ask for, in the end, a glass of water....well, I'm still waiting for it! The hotel should employ someone in the bar near reception so that the waitresses can focus on their tables rather than having to make drinks for those lucky to be able to order them.

Despite the minor service issues when we are back at Auchrannie we will be booking a table again.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Went to 1869 for a special occasion, knowing it was now a 'Scottish tapas' restaurant, and having had a close look a the menu online, we decided to give it a go, we like the ambience at the Auchrannie and it is easy for us to get there. We had a couple of very decent cocktails in the lounge, good as always, and then went in and ordered 5 dishes from teh menu, having been advised to order at least three or four each, one of the dishes was what we thought would be a double size tapas portion. So, we had the Hot smoked salmon Scotch egg, excellent, the lobster and mackerel burger, average, the mince and tatties, normal mince, the sole goujons, quite good but not haute cuisine, and the meat platter, it had rump steak, overcooked, venison pattie, very nice, various other bits of animals. We had a very decent malbec, and a couple of free glasses of prosecco for our occasion. Service was friendly and charming. But the menu was very disappointing : far from haute cuisine, and also not really very interesting dishes, I had expected more imagination and flair in the cooking. We weren't able to try deserts, the dishes were just too much for us and we couldn't finish what we had ordered. We won't be going back for this menu I am afraid, much as we like Auchrannie.

RS_General_Manager, Manager at eighteen69, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Thanks for posting a review following your recent visit to eighteen69. I was concerned to read that you found the Tapas menu ‘disappointing’, and as can be seen from previous reviews, this is not the usual reaction from guests. I apologise that we did not meet with your expectations, and although we are offering Scottish Tapas and not French cuisine, I will pass your comments onto our chef. I do hope you will reconsider returning to Eighteen69 in the future.