All reviewsmull of kintyreswimming poolsea viewsnooker roomshiskine golfsquash courtself cateringon the rockspost officebedroom windowfantastic viewscomfortable roomslovely hotelfirst classexcellent foodlong weekendsingle room
Reviewed November 27, 2009

Food was great. Staff were great. Pool was very nice to come back to after a days's work in the field. And there was a perfect view of the bay. Absolutely excellent stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Stayed two nights in August. The room was fine - clean and spacious - typical of a chain hotel, though we could hear the TV playing in the room next door. The food was good, but the waiter/waitress service at night was a bit hit and miss - we waited 40 minutes for our main course one evening without even an apology or explanation when asked why the long wait. The setting is the best thing about the hotel - right on the coast with excellent walks nearby.
A good place to stay on Arran - providing you can put up with some mediocre restaurant service.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2009

After all the fantastic reviews this hotel had I was really looking forward to our stay. Boy was I disapointed. Our room was reasonable the bathroom very small with a big rust ring round the drain and chip marks on the bath. The plumbing 'rumbled' and the soundproofing between the rooms did not appear to exist as we could hear the neighbours coughing and talking. In fairness the bathroom was clean and had big comfy bathsheets and towels. The shower seemed to have a will of its own and both the water pressure and the warm was never guaranteed,

We also found the food to be disapointing, the only veggie dish the chef appeared to serve was mushrooms. We had this on the menu each night on our 3 night stay, including mushroom soup also on one night, Great if you like mushrooms. (unfortunately my husband and I do not). What was wrong with nut roast, or even a salad. We struggled with the food. The chef also seemed to have a thing about cream sauces (another no for my husband) what was wrong with an ordinary gravy? and on two nights the veg appeared to be heated ex frozen veg. - not nice, the coffee was like tar. Service was poor and all 3 nights we had to ask for a waiter to take our order, we had two eldery ladies sitting at our table who were in the dinning room first, people were on to their main course and neither of the 4 of us had even ordered. Staff training would appear to be the order of the day.

The bar serving meals seemed to be really busy, with both meals and drinks perhaps there was staff shortages, to the detriment of the residents. One suggestion might be that half-board customers could upgrade to the a-la-carte at a supplement. I noted one duck on one night and it looked really nice.

Gave the evening entertainment a miss - not really what I had expected. A walk in the evening was also out of the question. The area surrounding the hotel stank of sewerage. I could not believe the terrible smell, and if somebody left a door open it penetrated into the hotel. This matter gives a really bad view of the whole island.

Enjoyed my visit to Arran, did the castle and the distillary, saw some lovely views, old standing stones, it had the works, but perhaps needs to go back to basics.

• Stayed: June 2009
6  Thank kat44007
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We stayed here this August. After reading the reviews I booked a self catering suite, as we have two children. The suite was huge, 2 beds, 2 bathrooms, really good kitchen with dishwasher (hotel supplied tablets, very thoughtful), very clean. The views were stunning, even on a rainy day you could sit and watch the sea. Facilities, squash court, gym, snooker room, pool were far more than you would expect.

The food is excellent, not three star at all. We ate in the bar every night which was great, very relaxed, great staff, and huge picture windows.We stayed in a 4 star Hilton on the way home, twice the price, and the food couldn't touch the Kinloch's. They were very happy to do half portions of stuff for the kids, like halving a fillet steak, and roast dinners. There is a bakery run by the hotel, which does great bread and pizzas and stuff, but why it doesn't open 'til 0930 is a bit odd. You can get everything else from the local stores/post office, which has stuff cheaper than my local Tesco!

Everyone is friendly, and the pace of life just seems calmer.

the only thing I would mention, which doesn't detract from the experience, is the fabric of the building looks a bit tired, one of our windows wouldn't shut, plaster not painted etc. but as we don't have to fix them it didn't bother me!

We loved Arran, we had two days out of four when the sun shone and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else, the beach (right by the hotel) was great, but we did take wetsuits. We played golf with the kids, all the 9 hole courses are very relaxed, jeans etc all accepted, you just have to have a bag each. Loads of tea rooms with good value food.

Definitely thinking about booking for half term next year, we want to try the Activity Centre in Brodick.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank CLB1968
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Ok so this hotel isnt the most glamerous in the world but if you have children you will be hard pushed to beat it. It is possibly the most child friendly place I have ever stayed. The staff are all extremely friendly - and not in a forced, false way.

There is so much to see and do on Arran that the bedrooms are not somewhere you spend much time. They were however very clean and comfortable (lovely HUGE bath towels).

The pool could maybe do with a bit of a facelift, but it certainly didnt stop my son having a cracking time in it.

The food was really good, once again - a good selection for children.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family