“Overpriced food,not very friendly”

The Queensferry Hotel
Marbella, Spain
“Overpriced food,not very friendly”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We had just finished a sponsored charity walk along the Fife coastal route and our meeting point was at the hotel,we decided to have lunch which was 2 sandwhiches that came with a few crisps and 2 lemonades and it was very pricey,the srvice wasnt the best and the waitress didnt even smile,the toilet was downstairs and the light did not work so was in total darkness,wont be back even for the view im afraid,it also needs a makeover as its very old and shabby looking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisa C, Sales Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your dining experience with us. I’m sorry that you found your time here to be disappointing. We have recently been bought over by the Cairn Hotel Group who will be investing heavily in staff development and training. They are also undertaking a 2 million pound refurbishment of the hotel including installing an external balcony, full redecoration of both function suits and public areas, full bedroom refurbishment and a planned extension to the bedroom stock. I hope that these changes will, with time, encourage you to eat with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
southampton
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have stayed at The Queensferry Hotel on numerous occasions for business.
Yes the hotel is a little tired in places, but "Wow!" that is made up by its oh so friendly staff!
From the first smile you receive at reception (And you know who you are!!) to the last smile you receive at breakfast, everyone makes you feel special and very welcome!
The staff are very customer focused with all quiries answered professionally.
Would I pay to stay at this hotel myself?
Undoubtedly "Yes" because everyone makes you feel at home!
Keep up the good work and I am going to miss you!
Again, you know who you are!!
:-)
Charlie

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I have passed on your kind words to the reception team and the rest of the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Queensferry Hotel.
manchester
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Great location and views of the firth. Pleasant check in experience by a new member of staff. Large double room on 2nd floor on the back. Not a great view. Room was clean and the bed comfortable apart from the pillows which were hard. Room had all the amenities that you would expect.
Main problem was there was a Xmas party night on our first night, the bedroom opposite was used as a party room until 3am, had to call reception twice in the night, it really was unacceptable the noise. Also the bedroom doors slam so loudly.
On the whole the staff were nice apart from the night receptionist who didn't really care that we were upset about the noise.
Also the breakfast is very basic, all the cheapest products, really disappointing, had to wait for hot items to be replenished. Was looking forward to the breakfast, it really was rubbish.
We were guests at a wedding on the second day which was a lovely day, the staff worked hard and it was great.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank ross1979
Marie P, General Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Thank you for your kind review following your resent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the wedding

Unfortunately we do have to rely on good manners, common courtesy and trust that our guests do not disturb the other guests sleeping in the surrounding rooms. Our night porter can always be called upon to address such issues . However on this occasion it seems as if his attempts try to resolve the noisy guests was very challenging .Please accept my apologies for your disturbed evening .

Breakfast - unfortunately on both mornings we had a full house and most of our guests arrived for breakfast at the same time and this is why you had to wait for the staff to replenish some items .I have spoken to my Head Chef in relation to your disappointment with the quality of the products provided and I will also pass this on to Head Office to raise with the suppliers .

I am sure that the next time you visit us you will see the improvements that we are making to make sure that you enjoy your stay

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2012

A nice,quiet hotel with pleasant staff. Food was of good variety with an excellant breakfast. The hotel could do with freshening up.

The receptionist was very helpful when rearranging our room for a twin as apparently I had booked a double. She couldn't have done more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Marie P, General Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit. I am glad that you had a lovely stay and have passed on your positive feedback to all my team
We look forward to your next visit with us.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Okay the only thing this hotel has going for it is the location. That is where my compliments end. I spent over a week there on business and it was a fiasco from beginning to end. I would of moved after a couple of days but the company I worked for had paid it upfront and it wasn't worth the hassle. However I did move rooms three times!!! The first room I was put in was nice, with nice views but there was no Wifi which I needed for work, when I asked about it at reception I was told that they were having a problem with the connection and they would have an engineer out the following day. I went back to my room and went to turn on the tele and there was no remote and no way of turning it on manually so I returned to reception. I was greeted with a look of disdain from the woman in charge, like I had personally offended her, she told me begrudgingly that she would arrange for a new remote to be brought to my room. The following day the Wifi was still not working, I returned to reception to be told by somebody else that there was no wifi in that room and only a few rooms in the hotel can actually access it (don't remember seeing that on the website) so I explained that due to the fact that I was on a business trip, internet access from my room was imperative the girl (who was less than helpful) reluctantly moved me to another room. After packing, moving and unpacking in my new room that incidentally had a horrible view this time.. I tried to access the internet and there was one bar on my phone and laptop, I then tried to call my supervisor to discover my phone was out of coverage and then I picked up the phone in my room which was also dead.. Some serious communication issues... I decide to make do with the bad signal rather than have to move again that day., but after a couple of days I returned to reception to explain my plight, again I was greeted with hostility rather than helpfulness and again reluctantly given a new key to another room, this time assured that the wifi would be great but unfortunately I would be downgraded as there was no executive rooms with good wifi... which is pretty ironic considering the executive rooms are for business clients. Anyway, I told the girl that I'd like to try out the wifi before moving again so she agreed and I went to the room. Indeed the wifi was strong but the room smelled of smoke and was in desperate need of some TLC, the view again was nice so after some consideration I weighed up my options and decided to move for the wifi. After an hour of lugging my belongings from room to room and unpacking once again, I started to hear some banging, I look out the window and realised that the maintenance to the bridge was right outside my window and I would probably be plagued by this noise for the rest of the week. So again I decided to return to the other room which seemed like the best option. On one of the nights, at 3am I was woken by the sound of the fire alarm and someone banging on my door shouting to get out. It was minus 3 degrees outside and we gathered in the carpark for 30 minutes while the 2 staff that were on that night figured out how to turn it off (incidentally set off due to smoking in one of the rooms) eventually we were told we could return to our rooms without any explanation or communication of any kind from the staff. Just as I was nodding off the dreaded noise again.. thankfully this time it was turned off quick enough. It went off a further three times throughout the night. The next day the water was turned off in the hotel due to the bridge maintenance which was pretty inconvenient. The food in the hotel was diabolical, the breakfast was barely palatable, although the breakfast staff were lovely ( the only positive thing about the hotel) actually my heart went out to them as they were grossly understaffed and had to endure alot of complaints. I sat in the bar one night for fifteen minutes before I saw anyone to serve me, I eventually had to ask at reception if I could order a drink.! ( and believe me I needed one after the fiasco of this place)... Fawlty Towers springs to mind, I was waiting for John Cleese to pop up behind reception at any moment.
So to sum up, the hotel is in need of decoration, the lift is hysterical, you feel you are taking your life in your hands everytime you get in. The internet access is terrible, the food disgusting, the staff, well a mixture of really nice and really unhelpful and unfriendly.. I've actually never left a review before but felt compelled to this time to save any unsuspecting travellers the torment that I experienced. To quote another reviewer... AVOID and the AVOID again.!!!!

Room Tip: Consecutive rooms are nice..
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ruthierue
Marie P, General Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Brook Queensferry Hotel. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your experience at the Hotel .

Unfortunately some of our rooms do not get a good signal but after investigating the issues you had with WIFI reception our engineer has informed me that the network was actually working on upgrading the signal at the time of your visit . Please accept my apologies if this caused you any inconvenience .Also the phone in the bedroom was not activated by my reception staff when you moved rooms which was an over sight and I have since spoken to them regarding this.

In general I am surprised to hear your comments about my staff and their attitude to you . This seems very untypical as they are usually a very helpful team .

Some of our guests do inadvertently take away our remote controls and we are constantly replacing them but I do apologise again if this caused you any inconvenience during your stay.

The Brook Queensferry Hotel has no bedrooms next to the Firth of Forth Bridge although our Function Rooms and Restaurant are located at that end of the building. So I am a little surprised that you were disturbed in your bedroom by maintenance noise from the bridge but I will investigate the noise levels in that room personally .

I am sure that you will appreciate that Fire Alarms are designed to save lives and the safety of all our guests is very important and any alarm must be acted upon swiftly by evacuating the building even if it is a false alarm and even if it is cold outside . Unfortunately one of our residents on the evening in question was smoking and this set off the alarm. We do have clear notices to warn guests about the consequences of smoking in their rooms.

Our water supply was turned off unexpectedly by the water board for about 4 hours .This was out of our control but I did arrange for all our guests to be given bottled water.

I have also reviewed your comments about the food quality you experienced with my Head Chef to make sure that our usual high standards are achieved and maintained for the future .

I am disappointed that you quote another Trip Advisor post in your review and would like to point out to you that this refers to stay in August and that since then we have made significant improvements to our decor and levels of service .

Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

An excellent geographic position but when reading the good reviews of this hotel I truly wonder if I didn't enter some parallel universe for my 3 night stay at this hotel because it was nothing like their descriptions. It is in a terrible state of repair with peeling and yellowing paint and discoloured wallpaper in many places, the window in my room was broken as were all the windows in the restuarant. Stains were evident on many carpets. The room was very old-fashioned and smelled and given the shape of the hotel took ages to walk to. The resaurant was a joke - the hotel charges as though it is a mid range hotel but the restauant operates like the corner pub, except with worse food and service. The evening waiting staff are not trained and simply did not do their jobs anything approaching properly. And the chef must hate his employers because the food was abysmal. I had been looking forward to Scottish hospitality but honestly did not find any at this place.
Without boring you with all the other details, the worst crime was that the reality of this hotel is nothing like the description of it in the Brook Hotels literature - trading standards take note - and four months later the MD who I was told would repond to my letter of complaint still hasn't bothered. Says it all!

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank nickclube
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just returned from a lovely weekend at this hotel and had a great time Hotel is very well situated for travel in Fife or Edinburgh There is ample parking at the hotel and a bus stop immediately outside The buffet style breakfast was very good and the staff were very happy to get you anything that was not in view ie porridge fried eggs mushrooms or anything else required this way your eggs are fresh and not hard and dried up The room was very clean and spacious, bathroom had both a bath and shower All in all a very pleasant hotel

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms have a lovely view over the river Odd numbers overlook some trees
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Marie P, General Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit. I am glad that you had a lovely weekend and have passed on your positive feedback to all my team
We look forward to your next visit with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Queensferry
The Staghead Hotel
The Staghead Hotel
#4 of 4 in South Queensferry
Holiday Inn Express Dunfermline

Been to The Queensferry Hotel? Share your experiences!