“Up and coming venue”
Review of Albert Hotel

Albert Hotel
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Visited the restaurant last night. Food was excellent as was the service - cheery and friendly. The hotel is undergoing extensive renovation and is looking good. Could do with some curtains on the windows as the old windows are quite draughty but the views over the Forth and particularly the close up views of the bridge are spectacular. Will visit again but maybe in Spring or summer so we can appreciate the spectacular surroundings and the pretty little town.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jeansilverk
HMB3, Manager at Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

My team and I are so pleased you enjoyed the food and service. Curtains are on the way! and I look forward to welcoming you back in the Spring.
Sarah Buchanan
Manager

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed in the Albert while visiting with family. It was over a couple of years since our last visit and had been taken over by new management and refurbished, which was necessaryt. It is now a very pleasant place to stay. The room was clean and well furnished. The view of the Forth Bridges is amazing. We had an evening meal and breakfast both of which were very good. As it was a Saturday night the bar was full of locals and an excellant night was had by all. A very nice place at a budget price and a place I will definately stay at again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh_Family000, Manager at Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Sarah

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I am sorry to report that the Groupon we purchased for 6 people for the Albert Hotel, North Queensferry was extremely disappointing and most of the food was left untouched. The waitress was working between the bar and the restaurant which was empty apart from our party of 6. The table settings were incomplete.

The food, while hot enough was unappetising and a poor representation of the menu on offer, half the party leaving their food and the other half being unhappy with the quality of the cooking. We were not asked at the end of the meal if we required anything else, possibly because it was obvious from the returned food that we would not be staying. Despite this, no one asked if we were happy with the meal or if we wanted teas or coffees and we booked an earlier taxi than that envisaged. I am still awaiting a response to my complaint following a perceived investigation but I'm not holding my breath.

Pity, because now we have nothing positive to say about this venue to other parties. I have been to other Groupon meals which have been excellent and of a very high standard but, unfortunately, this was not one of them

Very disappointing.

Room Tip: We didn't stay here so have nothing to contribute on that front
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback from your Christmas meal at the Albert Hotel and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We have had over 100 customers dine with us so far this month and I can honestly say that this is the first complaint we have had about the quality or service and have had several lovely letters of thanks. The reason why I did not respond to your email is that I have had communications with the lady who booked the table and have made her an offer to restore your faith in the Albert Hotel. I would also like to say that, given the opportunity we could have offered you alternatives but declined to pass these comments to the staff member on duty even though someone in your party knew them. I do hope you take up my offer and would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stopped off here without booking 1st. We had a groupon voucher for a 2 course meal with tea or coffee. We had a night out in Edinburgh & stopped off on the way home to Fife. We had the steak pie which was delicious, but after our heavy night on the town we couldn't manage our dessert. There was a small bar which was very busy, but the restaurant was empty. The meal was very nice & staff were friendly. A nice day out. We didn't stay here, only had lunch, but it was a beautiful location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I Stayed here for 2 nights on the 26th and 27th October with my family and was pleasantly surprised at the standard of accommodation. The rooms were large , spotless and had obviously recently been refurbished. We had room 5 (I think!) with a fantastic view on to the river forth and the rail bridge. We didn't eat an evening meal in the hotel (arrived too late Friday) and were out Saturday. However, the hotel staff did provide us with a takeaway delivery number and allowed us to eat our order in the dinning area on the Friday. I did have a look at the menu in the hotel and it looked very reasonably priced. The cooked breakfast that we had on both mornings was good. I returned last weekend (Saturday 3rd September) and had a room on the 2nd floor - the view wasn't as good but the standard of accommodation was equally as high. Out and about there is a small restaurant (the Wee Restaurant) a few doors along the road which gets good reviews on Tripadvisor and a nice cafe/deli on the opposite side of the street. For people with kids "Deep Sea World" is a few minutes walks away. Further afield, Edinburgh city centre is a 15-20 minute train journey away making the hotel great value for money! Overall, the staff were friendly, the rooms were great (even better if you get one overlooking the bridge) and the hotel is great value for money. My only gripe was that a glass of malt seems to have gone up from 54% in the space of a week - much to the distaste of me and the locals!!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 , 5, 6 and 8 all have great views onto the river forth and the rail bridge
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We came by this hotel in looking for somewhere to stay near Edinburgh. It was evening and we were sick of looking and stumbled by this hotel. We asked if we could view a room. The hostess was very obliging and friendly. We took one look at the room and moved our suitcase in! This hotel has just been renovated and is very clean and very fresh. The bed is kingsize and so is the room. We had a fantastic view of the bridge. Breakfast is the full Scottish and very nice. The bar area is well set out for meals and very cosy and we felt very much at home. All the staff were very friendly and obliging. We thought it was good value for money. The railway to Edinburgh is a little walk up the hill or you can catch the bus just outside. We recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is emerging from having been a rather run-down bar. All the accommodation has been gutted and re-fitted and it's turning into a nice economy-level venue. It's not finished yet so you won't find a lot of pictures on the walls but it's getting there and the management is eager to please and to find out what guests want to make the place better. The rooms are large, comfortable and well equipped. My bathroom had been completely re-fitted to a very high standard, tiled throughout and spotlessly clean. Catering isn't haute cuisine but it's cheap and very acceptable - my steak was good and (unusually) cooked as I asked it to be!

The situation is also impressive as it's almost directly underneath the north end of the Brunel railway bridge so you get spectacular views.

Stay here if you have sensible expectations and appreciate a little local colour and a very welcoming management.

Room Tip: Try to get a river/bridge view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Queensferry
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh -...
#1 of 1 in North Queensferry
Orocco Pier
Orocco Pier
#3 of 4 in South Queensferry
0 mi away
Ferrybridge Hotel
Ferrybridge Hotel
#5 of 5 in North Queensferry

Been to Albert Hotel? Share your experiences!