“Thoroughly enjoyed lunch, mussels and duck were the highlight!”
Review of The Wee Restaurant

The Wee Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Ate lunch here for the first time recently and it certainly won't be our last.

Home made warm bread and olive tapenade were brought to our table and they were truly delicious.

Husband stated the big bowl of mussels in cream sauce he chose as a starter, was one of the best starters he's ever eaten!

My warm duck salad with chorizo was just delicious and the puy lentils added another lovely texture.

Friendly waitress was extremely helpful without being overbearing and we felt that at just under £18 each for 2 courses, lunch was very good value for money.

The menu isn't huge but the choices were varied.

Would like to try their light lunch during the week too. Three course for £13.95 I think.

Will definitely return to The Wee Restaurant.

1  Thank Where-now-guys
There are newer reviews for The Wee Restaurant

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Hubby and I dined on a two course set menu as part of an itison promotion for Monday nights.

Portions were generous and food was tasty. I enjoyed mussles and then smoked haddock fish cake and hubby devoured hot smoked salmon and then steak. There was a supplement for steak but it was worth it.

We then decided to share a desert. We had some chocolate brownie, I'm not eating tomorrow because I'm so full!

Thanks for having us.

Keep up the good work :)

1  Thank caroline b
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Our meal with our family visitors from the USA was good as far as the food went, but we were hassled from the very minute we arrived. A young waitress said that they needed our table by 8:15. Seemingly we had been told this when we booked (wrong!) and they didn't believe us when we said we wouldn't have accepted a booking for a rushed meal if this had been communicated to us. We didn't dally during the meal, but dirty plates weren't cleared away fast enough between courses which delayed us and we were again hassled when finishing up with coffees. We didn't consider this to be the fault of young waiting staff. There was no attempt by management to be pleasant to us, placate us, or say that they were sorry to have to rush us. In fact the boss lady was rude to one of our guests on leaving when he politely said that their attitude had rather spoiled what should have been a nice family meal. She basically wasn't interested, so our second time at the Wee Restaurant is likely to be our last.

4  Thank RedManNorth
HQNQ, Owner at The Wee Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

I was waiting for this review to appear on Tripadvisor. All staff are trained to read back the times and dates of booking upon the booking, we also confirm bookings for all weekend tables on a Friday morning. We reiterate to all customers the time and date of booking at this time also. We do this to ensure that there is no misunderstanding of dates and times of bookings to avoid this problem you encountered on the night you visited. The reason you did not receive an apology was because we did not make an error. If we had made an error we would have apologised profusely. Upon leaving your friend did speak to me about being unhappy at not having the table all night as you had mistakenly thought. He was not polite though and thus he received a cold answer. In fact the girls were quite intimidated by the behaviour at your table but tried to make an effort to serve you in the professional manner that they always show all customers. I do hope you return as you did as you professed to enjoy the food. If you do choose to return we do need back approximately 4 tables a night. Those will be ones booked at 6.30pm until 8.15pm or 8.30pm like your booking. Any table booked after this from 7pm onwards will be available for the whole evening. I would always recommend this option to diners who wish a more leisurely meal.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Two weeks running came to the Wee Restaurant for lunch with friends. Recently started a three course set lunch for £13.50 so I was happy to recommend to friends.
Atmosphere relaxed and with lighting mainly natural with the skylight. A few steps up to get the restaurant and selection of tables.
The set menu was complemented by the main menu which you could choose a two or three course at a set price.
We mainly went with the set menu and were not disappointed. Pea soup, Chefs salad and a tart to finish, all beautifully presented and great lunch size portions.
We booked which I recommend but if passing worth risking to get a table.
Service was great, we drank tap water which was served in a bottle and refilled without us having to ask.
Recommend highly.

1  Thank TriciaAC
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We had dinner at this small restaurant on a sunny Saturday night, the location is great. Our waitress was very friendly and checked on us throughout our meal. The restaurant is small and some of the tables are very close together, which meant the ambience was spoiled.

The mussels starter was very tasty but extremely salty with raw onions on top which completely overpowered everything else. Why go to the trouble of making a lovely sauce only to spoil it like that? The other starter was nice but one of the smallest portions I've seen.

The limited menu meant my partner opted for the rib-eye steak which was cooked just as he liked it. My sea bass main consisted of one very small fillet, I was so disappointed as it was well cooked, although, again, too salty. You can get a full sea bass in Edinburgh city centre for less money, so I felt a bit ripped off.

The small portions meant that we had desserts as we weren't quite sated (perhaps this is a cunning ploy?).

There's definitely some talent shown in the cooking but some basic mistakes and such high prices for small portions means I doubt I'll hurry back.

6  Thank jul222