“Small, salty portions”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We had dinner at this small restaurant on a sunny Saturday night, the location is great. Our waitress was very friendly and checked on us throughout our meal. The restaurant is small and some of the tables are very close together, which meant the ambience was spoiled.

The mussels starter was very tasty but extremely salty with raw onions on top which completely overpowered everything else. Why go to the trouble of making a lovely sauce only to spoil it like that? The other starter was nice but one of the smallest portions I've seen.

The limited menu meant my partner opted for the rib-eye steak which was cooked just as he liked it. My sea bass main consisted of one very small fillet, I was so disappointed as it was well cooked, although, again, too salty. You can get a full sea bass in Edinburgh city centre for less money, so I felt a bit ripped off.

The small portions meant that we had desserts as we weren't quite sated (perhaps this is a cunning ploy?).

There's definitely some talent shown in the cooking but some basic mistakes and such high prices for small portions means I doubt I'll hurry back.

6  Thank jul222

Reviewed June 30, 2014

This lovely restaurant is so wee that you might just walk past it. But there is nothing small about the portions or the flavour. My in-laws and hubby had the set lunch while I had the wee set lunch but even the wee set lunch filled me up. Everything was good from the duck egg salad with black pudding to the mussels and the steak and the salmon.This was the second time we went and would not hesitate to go again. It's a good idea to make reservations because the restaurant is so small it can easily fill up.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Located right under the Forth Bridge in North Queensferry, this is a lovely restaurant serving good food at reasonable prices to 30 odd covers. Fixed menus for 2 or 3 courses, expect to spend £70 - £100 for two people with wine. Starter, mussels were excellent, the chicken liver pate is generous but is only served with one small piece of toast, you are left with plenty of pate but nothing to go with it.
The main of rib eye steak carries a supplementary charge, and is served with herb butter and a rocket/parmesan salad. It was ok, but the steak had not been rested at all because it bled all over the plate, drenching the salad. The scallop Cesar salad was good, although the very cold boiled egg kind of jarred with the warm scallop. Waiting staff are excellent.

1  Thank hillcrestlad
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My brother treated me, my mum and my niece for lunch . My mum chose the excellently priced 3 course fixed meal which she thoroughly enjoyed. Although very reasonably priced, quality wasn't compromised. I had the Sea bass which was delicious and very well presented. Service superb and shall be returning for an evening experience.

1  Thank Jan S
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Enjoyed delicious ploughing platter for light lunch here on Sunday with my family. Children's platter was excellent with healthy fresh fruit and raisins. Pleasant atmosphere, polite staff, would certainly recommend.