“bad manners all round”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Leven
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“bad manners all round”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

we've been here before on a few occasions and without problem. we always eat as a family and yesterday we thought we'd have lunch out for our wedding anniversary. my son has multiple food allergies and in the past we've said he has his own food and it has never been a problem. however yesterday we were told that we were bad mannered and ignorant by the superviser.she said ,either truthfully or not, that she was trying to get more provision on the menu and said that having our child eating his own food was like someone bringing theyre own drink! that made me feel that we were just cheap and didn't want to buy a meal a meal for him. she then stayed by our table after giving us a good telling off and started about old ladys who she had got oatcakes for instead of bread, and then how her throat was sore and she was loosing her voice along with other dribble. sure we took on board what she had said, but what were we to do with our son? couldn't keep him on the doorstep to sit with the local drug takers of which there are many! I could not enjoy any part of my meal as I was upset by her so much we all left hungry and angry.if the company truely want to ease the life of allergy sufferers they could start by not making them feel embaraced and pehaps invest in staff training.this superviser had the bit between hwr teeth and wasn't letting go. If my son had a guide dog they would have said nothing, if my son needed furniture rearanged for wheelchair access they would have said nothing. to me this is his disability, its just not visible. every- day he comes into contact with food that if not avoided could prove fatal. he's a child and we want him to have as normal a childhood as poss.He was embarrased and said when he was older he'll never eat out. we want him to be safe.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank unhappyfifer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I arrived in Fife just as the weather that weekend was perfect across Scotland....and the county was bursting at the seams. After many phone calls, I found The Caledonian, and was just thankful to find a bed for the night.

Check in was very quick and excellently handled; even the offer of carrying my suitcase was greatly welcomed and such a rare event these days! The room was large, spacious, clean and functional. the bed was one of the best I've ever slept in, soft pillows and ever so clean linen; full marks to Housekeeping. One small point; could the hotel place "Danger, Hot water" signs on the Hot water taps. It was lovely and piping hot, but it should almost carry a Government Health Warning!

I'd been travelling all day and decided to eat in from Room Service. Food quality was very good, though my food preferences as noted by Reception (items I'm allergic to!) did not reach the Kitchen, as the ingrediens I could not eat within certain ordered dishes arrived anyway! Still, I managed to move them to one side, but it was annoying knowing I'd gone to great lengths to order as I wished, and the levels of communication failed to reach the kitchen! Plus, if you order a meal via Room Service, why can't it be accompanied by condiments (salt pepper etc)?

Breakfast - no complaints, attentive staff, though they were few in number, with some personnel having obvioulsy not made it into work. Well cooked food, well presented.

Check out was marred by the receptionist being more concerned to have an all out argument with one of the errant missing personnel who'd just phoned in to query their rota scheduling. I, as a paying guest, was a mere interruption as she concentrated on arguing with her absent colleague on the other end of the phone!

But overall, I'd rate the hotel well. There are a few tweaks here and there that are required, plus some attention to lines of communication, but all in all, an enjoyable and comfortable stay; I will return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Texas
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Loved the hotel, people were friendly, food was great, bed was comfortable.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2008

This hotel is ok.Room was clean and tidy.It served its purpose.

• Liked — very obliging when booking at the last minuite
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
perth,scotland
Reviewed November 11, 2007

Great weekend stay at the Caledonian hotel. everything from front desk to bedding,staff to meals was superb. Would recommend to anyone, i know we will be back. a hidden wee gem on the Fife coast!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — view
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank pictman
Slough
Reviewed October 13, 2007

My partner and I enjoyed a great short break at the Caledonian hotel. The hotel and bar has recently been refurbished. The beds were so comfortable my wife reckons its one of the best nights sleep she has ever had.
The evening meal and breakfast were tasty too, and the drinks reasonably priced.
We would definately return again!!

• Liked — very clean and comfortable throughout, with friendly staff
  • Disliked — --
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trav3003
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 2, 2005

went into the hotel after a scotland game of football and was refused entry with a scotland top on!!!! not drunk or obscene just for the fact of wearing a SCOTLAND top because it "could cause offence" sounds like a great CALEDONIA pub dont you think????

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Leven hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leven
Old Manor Hotel
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
The Dean Park Hotel
The Dean Park Hotel
#1 of 5 in Kirkcaldy

Been to Caledonian Hotel? Share your experiences!