“Get what you pay for”
Review of Caledonian Hotel

Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Leven
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We booked this hotel when travelling up for a golf comp at st Andrews.
It was very cheap and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The room itself was a good size uf not a little worn looking. The bathroom really needs some attention with stains and marks all over it.the shower curtain stank of molde.and there was inly shower gel not shampoo.

The breakfast was propably the worse iv ever had in a hotel.it all looked like it was cooked the day before and kept warm with a sausage that contains next to no meat.so poor that I ate about 3 mouthfulls and my friend couldn't face one bite.

The bar area is fine with drinks resonably priced and food also but after the breakfast we ate elsewhere.

The are around the hotel is small but has a nice curry house and a bus station with good links to surrounding towns.

All in all it was fine for us as all we wanted was somewhere cheap with a couple of beds as where were only in the rooms for a few hours.but if your travelling with kids and spend time in your room and like to eat at the hotel I'd suggest paying that bit more and staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Ben F

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We were looking for a hotel that accepted dogs n i found this place online. It was in a great location, 2mins walk from the beach. We were greeted by Paul at reception who was very friendly n helpful. Our room was quite dated but very spacious, clean n comfortable. Breakfast which was included in the price was cereal, fruit juice n a very filling cooked breakfast which was delicious. I would definitely stay again

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed in this hotel last night with my partner for an overnight.
room was standard could do with some updating though clean and tidy.bed very comfy.
Shower not very powerful and lights in the room didnt work though told the staff as we left.

Breakfast was a standard english breakfast . with lashing of tea/coffee and toast. though not very tasty.Would i stay here again .. NO..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Rooms a little dated but bed comfortable and we found it quite. Biggest complaint was I always chose a hotel that has WiFi for my ipad etc. and this was broken for the full length of my stay even though I reported minimum 3 times. Eventualy, a sign at reception saying it is broken but never fixed. This is not good enough these days as to me it is almost equivilant of not having any hot water. Hotel part is attatched to modern type pub which was about the best in town (not saying much I am afraid) but the staff were very friendly and the food OK. Breakfast was nice either full English or limited cereal.

The hotel is in the high street and number of shops and pubs close by. Poundland is getting everwhere. Chip shops and cafe's tended to shut by 8 and town was quite.

Reasonable location for travelling around the area but maybe a little expensive for waht it was.

Room Tip: Read some other reviews which say noisy in some parts of hotel. I was in room 14.
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a friends wedding September 2012. What can I say...it was an absolute disgrace.
On arrival at the hotel we were advised that we had to pay for the room there and then, which is fair enough as we were leaving extremely early on our last day. The price we were asked to pay however was not the price quoted by the hotel prior to arrival. This was sorted quickly and we paid the price quoted. I do regret not asking to see the room first as I would not have paid the money let alone stay here.
The room was shabby and smelt extremely damp. Carpets were threadbare and furniture from the 1980's. I don't think the bathroom had been cleaned for many months at least. The duvet covers were lumpy and looked as though they had just been flung on the bed. The ceiling light was not working. We advised the staff who were quick to replace the bulb but only by standing on the bed! Our room was on the second floor but it was still extremely noisy.
The dining area was filthy with dirty plates, cups and glasses everywhere. Breakfast was ok for my husband, I however have special dietary requirements (gluten free). When requesting if there were any dietary alternatives from staff the answer was simply no or "nut", there was no discussion re and alternative. Sainsbury's basic range seems to be the standard breakfast juice here (staff observed filling the juice decater with this range).Needless to say I think I ate and an egg and stovies over the whole weekend!

There was no offer of early breakfast on the day we left as we needed to be on the road for 0730am, we were advised that breakfast wouldn't be served until 0800am ad not before!

The reception area stank of cigarette smoke, staff were heard cursing. This is an experience I will never repeat and one which I hope helps future customers decide on whether to stay here or not!

Room Tip: Don't bbok here!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank ytol
Reviewed August 26, 2012

theres no lifts here,anyone in a wheelchair has no chance,or walking problems find else where,
we were on the first floor overlooking the street and watching drunks coming and going friday and saturday evening,cursing and swareing was the norm,a dirty place to visit so we headed for anstruther,there food was basic but ok,your breakfast was served in the bar area,table clothes were not changed from the night before stained,bedroom windows were not clean,
My bigest concern was parking,I have just renewed my blue badge ,so we were under the idea that parking was beside the hotel,it is but it is free for all and only one blue badge space.And no help with our bags three flits of stairs to room 1 bad move.

Room Tip: theres better out there,stay clear of the town center,dirty and should be avoided,go futher up the c...
1  Thank firemanjas
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I have just returned from staying at the CALEDONIAN HOTEL in LEVEN well what can I say BEDROOM the sheets were clean the bed quite comfy ROOM SHABBY BATHROOM the towels were clean ROOM SHABBY floor boards CREAKED EVERYWHERE, NOISE outside window morning and nights. BREAKFAST was NICE STAFF were NICE FOOD in evening was NICE needs a GOOD CLEAN THROUGOUT. Close to Beach but LEVEN its self is very SHABBY would NOT stay here again.
GO to ST MONANS, PITENWEEM, ANSTRUTHER or PRETTIEST of them all ELIE.

Room Tip: Do Not choose this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leven
Old Manor Hotel
Golden Acorn Hotel
Golden Acorn Hotel
#5 of 9 in Glenrothes
Kilconquhar Castle Estate and Country Club

Been to Caledonian Hotel? Share your experiences!