“clean hotel with friendly staff”
Review of Caledonian Hotel

Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Leven
Shotts
“clean hotel with friendly staff”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We arrived for an over night staff and were meet by Paul, who was very friendly and let us go through the function room as it was raining when we walked round from the car park. He booked us in very quickly and was friendly and efficient. He asked if we wanted to book a table for dinner but as we were unsure about where & when we were going to eat we said we wouldn't bother at that time. He then gave us the names of two restaurant staff to ask for and said they would be happy to get us a table if we decided to eat in the bar. Our twin room was a decent size with plenty of storage space and coat hangers ( a pet hate of mine is too few hangers). The bathroom had a bath and over the bath shower. There was the usually hospitality tray, unfortunately it didn't have sweeteners or decaf coffee, but it did have 2 different packets of biscuits. We decided to eat in the hotel (no suitable restaurants in Leven) and enjoyed our "pub grub", a starter of prawn skewers and then a hearty main of chicken breast, half rack of ribs, corn on the cob, coleslaw, peas, tomato, onion rings and chips. At £10.99 this was good value. We were too full to have a dessert. Breakfast the next morning was the usual, cereal and orange juice, There was no fresh fruit or tinned grapefruit,. The was the usual cooked breakfast with plenty of toast. I left my camera in the room and we had to return to get it. The gentleman on reception was very good and re programmed an electronic key so I could go back to the room and check for it (it had fell down behind a chair). All in all this was a good stay in a 3 star hotel at a reasonable cost

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at Caledonian Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay. We are very much focused on both value for money and quality service. We will be reviewing the refreshments in the rooms and hope to see you again soon,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
haarlem
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I recently booked this hotel for a family wedding and we could not fault the amenities,staff and our overall experience in this hotel.I had previously lived in the area many years ago but had never seen these hotel facilities.My husband and I were both more than pleased with our room and after having stayed in many other hotels with higher ratings I think we know what to expect from them.So thank you to the receptionist and all the other staff who made us feel very welcome and we will definately use this hotel again.I can only say of the other review that maybe not all the rooms are of the same standard.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cloggyliz
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2012

The rooms are badly in need of refurbishment, the bathrooms have that "unusual" black and white sealant around the shower tray. I booked well in advance a room with a double bed and on arrival was given a room with a single bed. When I complained the member of staff dealing with me just kept repeating " we're fully booked" even when I pointed out that I had booked the room six weeks earlier! After a further shrug from the charming receptionist I gave up and cut my booking from 4 nights to 1, which after staying in the room was a blessing. The food was average pub standard. Poor standard of service from a brewery owned hotel, who should know better. P.S. Don't get suckered into paying the on display rack rate - nobody does.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 994JohnP

Travelers are raving about these Leven hotels

Clackmannan, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2012

My husband and i were travelling through Leven last sunday t5 and decided to go for a meal
as we were both very hungry.as it was sunday we thought good we will have a sunday lunch, but when it arrived about a 25 minutes later we had already finished our wine to accomampany our meal.and when it did eventully arrive it was a utter disgrace the chicken was dry as a stick and veg was cold and the chips that i had were hard in the middle.as for my husbands roast beef dinner he told me his veg was also cold and the gravy too.least to say we will never be back.As for the people said that they enjoyed there meal they must be used to eating out of packets and dont do any cooking for themselves.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Bristol, UK
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Caledonian on a visit to her family and booked them weeks in advance, advising them by email that she is Coeliac and needs a gluten-free diet.

When she went to breakfast though she found that the message had not been passed to the 'chef' - who could not have cared less, by the sound of it! - and it was left to the waitress to cook some potatoes for her breakfast.

What made it more incensing was that her elderly aunt, whom we were visiting in Leven, had managed to get hold of gluten-free crumpets in the local supermarket without any difficulty.

Poor show, Caledonia!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2011

I stayed here for one night on business and found it OK. The town of Leven is clearly somewhat depressed and this was echoed in the hotel's condition. The main part of the Hotel is a 'chain' pub which is quite rowdy. On arrival there was no one in reception or answering the bell or the telephone and after 15 minutes waiting I carried my bags into the bar to ask the barmaid to find someone.

Tthe room I had faced over the central street with a view of the kebab shop and the Krazy Korner Kafe. I would imagine on a Saturday or Friday night it could get quite noisy. The bathroom was a bit grubby and both the reading lights over the bed were loose and didn't work. The bedroom and bed were clean and comfortable however. I asked for a wake up call which never happened, fortunately I had my own alarm set as well.

I only had a light breakfast, but the full breakfast looked quite good including haggis and black pudding and all in all considering my company only paid £40 for the night including breakfast I'd say it was about the right price for the type of place. There is ample free parking nearby and the Internet is free which is always a plus for business stays.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2010

we've been here before on a few occasions and without problem. we always eat as a family and yesterday we thought we'd have lunch out for our wedding anniversary. my son has multiple food allergies and in the past we've said he has his own food and it has never been a problem. however yesterday we were told that we were bad mannered and ignorant by the superviser.she said ,either truthfully or not, that she was trying to get more provision on the menu and said that having our child eating his own food was like someone bringing theyre own drink! that made me feel that we were just cheap and didn't want to buy a meal a meal for him. she then stayed by our table after giving us a good telling off and started about old ladys who she had got oatcakes for instead of bread, and then how her throat was sore and she was loosing her voice along with other dribble. sure we took on board what she had said, but what were we to do with our son? couldn't keep him on the doorstep to sit with the local drug takers of which there are many! I could not enjoy any part of my meal as I was upset by her so much we all left hungry and angry.if the company truely want to ease the life of allergy sufferers they could start by not making them feel embaraced and pehaps invest in staff training.this superviser had the bit between hwr teeth and wasn't letting go. If my son had a guide dog they would have said nothing, if my son needed furniture rearanged for wheelchair access they would have said nothing. to me this is his disability, its just not visible. every- day he comes into contact with food that if not avoided could prove fatal. he's a child and we want him to have as normal a childhood as poss.He was embarrased and said when he was older he'll never eat out. we want him to be safe.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank unhappyfifer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leven
Old Manor Hotel
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
The Dean Park Hotel
The Dean Park Hotel
#1 of 5 in Kirkcaldy

Been to Caledonian Hotel? Share your experiences!